Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100K of swimming in 5 days
Quote | Reply
Courtesy of Redding Swim Team:

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/...en+Water+Swimming%29

Quote:
With Hell Well's 10 x 100 x 100, the athletes at the Redding Swim Team have the experience to ride the storm, to weather the obstacles, to overcome the barriers.

Coach Wagner explains his philosophy, "It's a test mentally and physically for the athletes. It's seems scary for the rookies, but once they complete it, the sense of accomplishment is unmatched. For the seasoned athletes, it provides a different test: I'm really tough enough mentally to go through this again physically. The surprising results those athletes realize they can handle anything mentally or physically."
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly Wagner has not read work by Costill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds way too repetitive. I also question the value of that sort of mental test. I tend to think there are other ways to realize that you can handle anything mentally or physically without actually doing something so tedious and mundane as a workout like that.

I remember asking a friend what it was like growing up in one of those Soviet sport schools being trained for the Olympics. During peak periods they would normally be doing 2 x 10k per day for the entire week inside a very large block of training. Though he can easily hang with the front group of any pro Ironman swim pack and I am at the back of my AG for a WC event, I'm glad I never had to go through anything like that.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Courtesy of Redding Swim Team:

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/...en+Water+Swimming%29

Quote:
With Hell Well's 10 x 100 x 100, the athletes at the Redding Swim Team have the experience to ride the storm, to weather the obstacles, to overcome the barriers.

Coach Wagner explains his philosophy, "It's a test mentally and physically for the athletes. It's seems scary for the rookies, but once they complete it, the sense of accomplishment is unmatched. For the seasoned athletes, it provides a different test: I'm really tough enough mentally to go through this again physically. The surprising results those athletes realize they can handle anything mentally or physically."

So, they're doing 100 X 100 on a set interval, twice a day, for 5 straight days. Makes my arms tired just thinking about it. I've done 100 X 100 three times but spaced apart by a year in between. I have done 50 X 100 many times but doubling that is painful.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a coach in the 90s who had swimmers over 200k in one week. The girls made their national cuts in several events and won the female team title.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100x100 was a holiday classic in both club and high school... did it twice in a day one winter break (once for club, once for high school).

Knowing how dead I was, the thought of doing it five days in a row makes me frown.
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least some variety... 50x200, 25x400, 200x50.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others on 'mundane.' 100 x 100 is enough; I get tired of 100s after 20 of them.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think any team has done 200k per week. If you did 200x1000 on 11:00 it would take just shy of 37 hours. No parent would allow that, no college can get away with that, and no post graduate would put up with that.

I am sure there have been plenty of individuals who have done that kind of work in a week, through.
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah there was. If not 200k it was close. They were doing 3 workouts a day. Several young girls swam very fast that summer. But, if I remember correctly, that was it. They either got injured or real burnout (don't remember).
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to start a fight! Really, I just don't believe it. What team was it? When you put it to a calculator, you realize the time invovled just makes it impossible. Sounds more like folklore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been there done that, 120k spring training week, long long time ago. I started the first morning intoxicated...that was not a good start...This was a D-1 College, I think from the whole team about 4 made it through.

"I race to taper"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mac wrote:
Yeah there was. If not 200k it was close. They were doing 3 workouts a day. Several young girls swam very fast that summer. But, if I remember correctly, that was it. They either got injured or real burnout (don't remember).

Was this by chance... a team in the Seattle area?
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [RhymeAndReason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just barely remember...don't recall much detail. Seems like I saw them at Jr Nats West (USA Swimming) in Tempe. Mid 1990's - over 110F every day all week (I remember that!)
I seem to remember an article printed in an ASCA publication. It was seen as risky, but was there a big payoff?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The team I swam for in Seattle in the early/mid 90's (Husky, now part of King Aquatics) had a senior team of 5 girls and one guy who did some insane stuff. they had "hell week" where they stayed in a hotel by the pool, and swam 3 sessions a day (LCM). I heard stories of 100x100's on 1:10 (attempted, all failed to finish) and such during that week. All of them burned out in one way or another, at least temporarily, and I think three of the six made all american in college. One did really well, with piles of all american awards and ~5th at Olympic Trials in the 400IM in '96 (Corrie Murphy).
Quote Reply
Re: 100K of swimming in 5 days [RhymeAndReason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could be the team. I do remember it was a very small group that did the "insane" training.
Quote Reply