Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
100/100 for 2022/23
Quote | Reply
are we back on? date question and rules question:

Date Question: Nov 25 or Dec 1?

Rules Question: it has been 3mi or 30min. one or the other. that's the minimum that constitutes a run. there was some grousing about that, that shorter runs should count (we do have a facility for that: you have to catch up a shorter run the next day.) we'll always have grousing. still, what do you all want: the rules as they have been or shorter runs count?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about counting shorter brick runs (2 miles or 3k, 15 or 20 mins)? Would there be a way to specify a run as a brick to make it count?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STRINATION wrote:
What about counting shorter brick runs (2 miles or 3k, 15 or 20 mins)? Would there be a way to specify a run as a brick to make it count?

our system doesn't know if you bricked or not. of course, it doesn't know if you even did the run or not ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I vote for 30 min or 3miles whichever comes first with the existing rules at hand.

I am nursing a fickle lumbar disc, so having a minimum run of 10 min or 1 mile would be better for "me" but I don't think it is about what is better for me. Last two years I got over 100 runs, but I don't think my body is in a good place to aim for that. I will shuffle frequently as my body allows and play the long game to use 100/100 to get in better run condition by next march.

If you recall in 2018, I was re learning how to run...by March 2019, got to ONE 30 min continuous run. By Sep 2019, I had done a 4:50ish half IM with a low 1:50's run split. Nothing heroic, but massive from where I started having given up on running and tri.

So I need to play the 2018 long game this year and even though a shorter minimum will allow me to get more "credit" the real credit is simply doing what my body allows safely and not letting myself get baited by spreadsheet chasing.

I'll be focusing winter on swimming and if things are solid in the lumbar, XC skiing with running as a side show.

I don't want easier rules because they favour me. 2020/2021, I got over 1000km, so I am not far away from that running ability, but have to respect things.

A later start date is better for me as it gives me a later end date. What I care about is my running 100+ days from now.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 5, 22 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we'll always have grousing
---
Since you brought it up... Is there any way to invite automatic uploads from other non-Strava platforms? I have no desire to use Strava when my Garmin uploads automatically to the internet and can push data out to other places.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for Dec 1, or Nov 28 if you want to start on a Monday. Starting it during Thanksgiving break when everyone may be traveling, or when there are visitors at your home, will delay the start for some of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) I vote earlier start. Either November 15 or November 25.

2.) I still think we should move to a 2 mile / 20 minute minimum run. I've had that conversation with many coaches both on and off our forum, and that's where they recommend we draw the line to encourage participation beyond our traditional audience. But it's also not my baby.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t care when we start. 3 or 30.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryan made a strong case for 2 miles / 20 minutes last year and it remains a good idea this year. Anyone who feels they need to run 3 / 30 or longer can certainly do so; that shouldn't have to get in the way of someone who may be trying to decide whether they can or should do 100/100.

As for the start date, the later the better. I seem to remember it starting ~Dec 15th a few years back, and that was a-ok with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any start day

Any mileages and/or time is good for me

Happy just to have it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 or 30 is good, but I’m not mad at 2 or 20 either. Starting earlier is better, personally.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain what 'it' is?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vertebrae6395 wrote:
Can someone explain what 'it' is?

You must be new around here. :) The 100/100 is an annual winter "challenge" to see if you can run 100 times in 100 days. Up to 3 runs per day count and what is being debated is how long the runs must be to count. The "winner" at the end of 100 days is he/she who does the most "count-able" runs, not necessarily he/she who runs the most miles. The idea is that running frequency counts for a lot and allows the accumulation of more total miles which should make you more run-fit.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30mins/5km (or 3 miles for you Americans 😃) and start 15th November. It’s better to get going than procrastinating
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cutting the minimum from 3 miles to 2, moves it even closer to just ONE, which seems to be the Global Standard as far as what constitutes a Running Streak, according to Runners World, runeveryday.com, and so on

For my money, one mile is barely enough to get warmed up and into the "good stuff" endorphin-wise that comes on after 20-30 minutes, so why even bother?

I will continue to hold 5K as my own personal minimum; the rest of you can do what you want

I already have my bib set up for 11/15, but if you folks want to push it back, that's cool, too

I won't be Strava-ing, so as long as manual inputs are still available, that's fine

Not like anyone's getting audited on their results

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [fcorrao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fcorrao wrote:
Ryan made a strong case for 2 miles / 20 minutes last year and it remains a good idea this year. Anyone who feels they need to run 3 / 30 or longer can certainly do so; that shouldn't have to get in the way of someone who may be trying to decide whether they can or should do 100/100.

People sometimes miss the point of the Challenge

It's not necessarily to do 100 runs in 100 days, and anything less is a failure

It is to build and maintain a consistent routine throughout the Winter; 5x 30-minute runs a week with 2 rest days gets you above 70/100 and earns you a bronze medal

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Not like anyone's getting audited on their results

You know that's not the case. There are plenty of amateur auditors every year. #somewhatpink
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't get that --- there are no prizes here; who gives a shit what someone else might do?

"All Runners are Liars" - Bart Yasso

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nov 15th 3/30 - and no walking this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My running days are over, except chasing the dogs around the yard. Best of luck to the 100/100’rs. I be living vicariously through your tales of success and woe.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
we'll always have grousing
---
Since you brought it up... Is there any way to invite automatic uploads from other non-Strava platforms? I have no desire to use Strava when my Garmin uploads automatically to the internet and can push data out to other places.

True, but one of those places is Strava...noncost.... And you can always lock down your account so no one can find you... Use a disposable email address if you want to further isolate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently recovering from a severely sprained ankle and may just be ready to hit the minimums by Nov. 15 (plus I'm not getting any younger), so the 2/20 would favor my own situation, as would the later start.

I'm fine with the 2/20 minimum, however, I will still target 3/30 for my personal minimums because I already consider that the "floor" for my own runs.

I've always preferred a later start. The original mid-December start meant that the challenge usually ended on my anniversary, which was a nice way to wrap it up.

Ultimately, I'm good with whatever is chosen.

Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is inherently the problem.

The Challenge is the Challenge: 100 runs in 100 days. It isn't the ST "Build Your Run Fitness" Challenge. It's the 100/100.

Because of that, having asked around enough, the consensus viewpoint of people who read ST but decline to participate is as follows (note: this is aggregating feedback collected, mostly from non-forum users who read our front page a lot):
1.) the view is failure if you don't hit 100 runs in 100 days; and
2.) the standard of what counts as a run is too high, so they'd rather not participate.

Secondarily, we have a good cohort of coaches on the forum here. Some of those members have said, specifically, that they recommend their athletes to not participate in this challenge due to what gets viewed above.

Would a name change help? Maybe. But I also don't think coming closer to what typically counts for a run streak elsewhere is going to make it "soft." Just broadening the base some.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 for 2022/23 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am new indeed. I’ll give this a go whenever you all decide on a start date and the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done the 100/100, although I'm planning on trying it this year to see how it goes. Not sure how much weight my opinion carries since I don't have any first-foot experience with it, but if we were voting I would vote for 2 miles / 20 minutes. Only real reason for that is so my runs with my dogs, which usually fall in the 2.5 mile range, would count. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next