Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, its almost that time of year again...Dec 15th is right around the corner. We'll kick off an official thread with all the rules (should be unchanged despite the yearly whining) just before. In the meantime share your smack, air your grievances, predict your PB's, predict your injuries, post pictures of where you plan to run, and generally get the ball and momentum rolling.

This year, I will work with some of my sponsors to pull together some prizes. I don't know what yet, or what criteria we will use, and if anyone from the industry wants to contribute, then feel free to dive in and we'll figure out how to distribute any prizes we come up with.

Also, my buddy Chris Gleason has been an integral part of the challenge, smacktalk and kept improving yearlyto the point where he missed a Kona slot this year at IMLP by 70 seconds....he used to be a >4 hour marathoner. He'll be sorely missed, so from time to time, if you do something that you thought Chris would do in the 100/100 feel free to honour his memory. Maybe you end up finishing that final 70 second that separated Chris from Kona or that final 400m that he did not get to run at the Philly marathon....or maybe you get to run with your kids, and be a father to them, something his kids won't get to do :-(
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you will tweek what qualifies as a "run". Being a short course guy, I'd love to join, but have no real desire to run much more than 3.5 or 4 miles per day.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's 30 min in a day to qualify for 1 run. It's been like that since 2006-2007. I personally would like 15 minutes to qualify, as that is the length of many of my transition runs, but the 100/100 forces me to get some extra running in. Frankly I don't like it, but its good that I don't like all the rules in my own challenge and I can bitch with you guys about the stupid guy who made the rules!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice I am bringing it this year! Been slowly (very very slowly) ramping up for this. Going to be a ton of 30 minute runs at the start, but its all about frequency! Can't wait! Thanks Dev!

And just as this ends, I will be getting ready for a ride camp in Solvang! Perfect winter motivation!
Last edited by: saltman: Dec 9, 11 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what are the rules? 100 runs in 100 days - I assume you can do more than one in a day but skip others. Minimum 30 mins for it to count. Anything else?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the rules will be posted in this year's thread, but I am sure some of the guys can pull up last year's thread for reference...I'm just in some meetings through the day right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
So, what are the rules? 100 runs in 100 days - I assume you can do more than one in a day but skip others. Minimum 30 mins for it to count. Anything else?

Treadmills or real surface. No walking or shuffling (always one foot off the ground). Multiples are okay. As I recall, it's a minimum of 1 hour between runs for them to count as 2x.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this challenge! Last year's version launched me into my best running year in... ummm... years. I've been working back from injury for the last couple of months with the goal of being back on the wagon in time for this year's challenge. Not fully healed up yet, but I'm now able to do enough to keep from falling behind right at the start.

Let the fun begin!

Quote | Reply
Here is last years thread for reference:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Wasn't around to see last years thread, but what an awesome idea.

I'll have to wait until next year to get in on this as my base just isn't good enough to handle this.

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in regardless.

Thanks for your post tone, crushes me. Such dignity in your remembrance of a gentleman I never knew...

"What do you mean your running shoes don't match your bike?"
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [IamRobot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamRobot wrote:
I'll have to wait until next year to get in on this as my base just isn't good enough to handle this.

You're not legally bound to do 100 runs in 100 days. That's simply the challenge. If you look back through previous threads, you'll see that the vast majority of folks that join the challenge never actually intend to run the full 100/100. Many shoot for 70/100, 80/100, or 90/100. Of those that intend to do 100/100, many don't make it for any number of reasons. If you feel that your base is inadequate, then joining the challenge may be one of the best decisions you can make. Set a weekly goal and track your progress among the other members. Doesn't matter if it's 3 runs/wk or 7 runs/wk . . . you'll have company.

The whole point of the challenge is base-building through frequency. Assuming that you set realistic goals, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We'll kick off an official thread with all the rules (should be unchanged despite the yearly whining)
Love it!!
Also love it that it took one post to ask to change the rules.... :)
Won't be doing an old school hundred straight like last year, but I am in, and will be taking on all comers in the frequency challenge!! (How is that for smack talk!)

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue for me is not the number of runs over the number of days - it has to due with what is called a run.

I'm doing a 4 day a week version of the BarryP plan right now with the plan to go to the full 6 day a week in January. Thing is since I'm a beginner runner, my easy run right now is 10 minutes, 20 minutes for the medium and 30 for the long. Yes, I'm increasing 10% per week, still my sessions aren't long enough to "count" for the challenge.

So I know I could likely do the sessions, but I'm not doing the minutes.

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, Thanks for setting this up again this year. This challenge got my butt out of a warm bed and onto a cold road more than once last year.

I am in for the F1 AmZof this year ( I did the Canadian womens course last year ), I am using this challenge to make sure I do not slack off too much.

I need to make sure I finish before the slowtwitch elite kill the post race keg...
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmcmaster11 wrote:
Any chance you will tweek what qualifies as a "run". Being a short course guy, I'd love to join, but have no real desire to run much more than 3.5 or 4 miles per day.
Man up already :0) make them kids proud!

Quote | Reply
Think i am shooting for 80-85 runs ( i know BMC... man up :0) I predict no injuries if I can learn self control. Which I am learning slowly and hard.
I also see CaptCanada blaming his "BUSY" season as a reason for not hitting his goals.

Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [IamRobot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamRobot wrote:
Here is last years thread for reference:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Wasn't around to see last years thread, but what an awesome idea.

Yeah, you don't HAVE to run 100/100. I've only run 5 times since March (3 or those this week!), and I'm thinking about doing this.

IamRobot wrote:
The issue for me is not the number of runs over the number of days - it has to due with what is called a run.

I'm doing a 4 day a week version of the BarryP plan right now with the plan to go to the full 6 day a week in January. Thing is since I'm a beginner runner, my easy run right now is 10 minutes, 20 minutes for the medium and 30 for the long. Yes, I'm increasing 10% per week, still my sessions aren't long enough to "count" for the challenge.

No worries...glad you are doing all kinds of runs, be it 10 min, 20 min, 30 min or 180 minutes....it really does not matter. You just won't get credit for days where you run less than 30 minutes....no big deal. Stick to your plan. Its more important than changing your plan to do things you should not do. At the end of the day, you can be a hero on the spreadsheet and end up injured, or be fit and uninjured.

No one will care about you if you are injured. Seriously, as much as we like to think that ST is this great community no one from the challenge is going to be picking up the phone, and calling you and swinging by your house when you dealing with your injuries. But you'll care and you don't want to go there. Play it smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Dev, this will be the first year I did not run the 100 runs in 100 days as I am taking a different approach so will only be running 5-6 days per week during this time frame. I will still join, but will be definitely mid pack or worse, which I will have to try and ignore or my plan will fall apart chasing you guys down... :)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend a prize for the person who has the most differential of runs in the first 50 days compared to the 2nd. You could give one prize for greatest increase and one for greatest decrease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
IamRobot wrote:

No worries...glad you are doing all kinds of runs, be it 10 min, 20 min, 30 min or 180 minutes....it really does not matter. You just won't get credit for days where you run less than 30 minutes....no big deal. Stick to your plan. Its more important than changing your plan to do things you should not do. At the end of the day, you can be a hero on the spreadsheet and end up injured, or be fit and uninjured.

No one will care about you if you are injured. Seriously, as much as we like to think that ST is this great community no one from the challenge is going to be picking up the phone, and calling you and swinging by your house when you dealing with your injuries. But you'll care and you don't want to go there. Play it smart.
I disagree lots of people will wish you well from ST. But I agree shoot for what is safe for you and what your body can handle.
This is a great opportunity to make your running better, faster and safer. Plus it will keep it interesting and fun to watch. It will shame you and help you stay motivated into running when you just don't feel like it. Just be careful with it and listen to your body. Which as a perk this challenge will help you learn also. Thanks again Dev for putiing this on. I like the training part as much as I like racing thanks in part also to this challenge :0) yes I use happy faces as much as I us dots on my I's .

Re: 100/100 Starts Dec 15th: Pre Smacktalk Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hola D_Paul, I'm "new" on the Forum but not new to the sport. I'm in for IM Canada next year (did that one as my first IM in 1995) so it's time to get my arse ramped up. The coaches/authors of Going Long speak of the huge benefits of frequency/consistency but I've never run more than 3x/week.......maybe 4 a few times. All that running would break me down but now I'm not doing my long runs the day after a long ride - no more of that - so I'm hoping for better results with the higher frequency. Maybe this challenge will help me lose weight - would like to drop 15-20lbs. OK, with all that jabbering aside, I'm IN - though my first run will most likely be after my first ever day of cross country skiing. : /

Glad I found this thread - thanks for your efforts.

Cheers - Phil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but the 100/100 forces me to get some extra running in.

_________

I haven't searched because I am lazy today but to we have an annual post 100/100 "how i got injured" thread?

I will put my neck on the flame line and say I think you guys are all nuts; which is somewhat likeable really. But 100/100 days is a runner program at a professional level. We race triathlon. 100 workouts in 100 days seems more tri-specific.

good luck to all over you, stay fit and safe.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in this year. I have gained 45lbs since I met my wife 4.5 years ago. I was hoping the minimum was 15 minutes but 30 will make make a big difference.

Shooting for 45 days. Anyone want to be my buddy? I can talk shit to you or give you some encouragement... hell, I'll even do both at the same time.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Last edited by: damnilocano: Dec 9, 11 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 4th year in a row.

The 2008 version of this challenge is what really turned me into a runner. Thanks Dev!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next