Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 Marathon 2 weeks before 1/2 Ironman ?
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first 1/2 Ironman event August 17 in Hawaii. I have been doing tri's for 12 months only, but road runner for many years, including marathons. I consider my self pretty fit - but the 1/2 IM will be a test.

Any advice about doing a 1/2 marathon race 15 days before the 1/2 IM?

This 1/2 marathon - that I also did last year - is generally 7 miles uphill (gentle for first 5 then step for next 2), then 3 miles VERY steep downhill, then 3 miles of rolling hills. It is a fast course, and I usually set my PR on this course. I am 39 years old.

Several local colleagues/athletes have advised me NOT to do it. Any comments?

TIA

"Hairy Legs"
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Marathon 2 weeks before 1/2 Ironman ? [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the age of 47 I wouldn't have a problem doing a 13 mile run two weeks out. I wouldn't even think about doing a race for a PR though, even if it were only a 5K. It just takes me too long to recover, and there is always the risk of injury. Maybe you can recover better.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Marathon 2 weeks before 1/2 Ironman ? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At age 58, I agree totally with Art Franke. In fact, in six week period, I'm doing a tri, a double century, and two marathons. I'm going to race only one of them, the last one--a marathon in which I hope to BQ.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Marathon 2 weeks before 1/2 Ironman ? [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the 1/2 IM is your A race for the year forget the 1/2 marathon. You won't gain anything by doing it and risk spending too much reserve or getting injured. Focus on your 1/2 IM.
Quote Reply