Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 IM, no taper - best way to approach?
Quote | Reply
I am training for IM CDA, which is in t-minus 7 weeks. 5 weeks out from CDA I will be racing the JerseyMan 1/2.

If I were not doing JerseyMan, my training that weekend would consist of a 110-mile bike and a 20-mile run. During the week I have scheduled a threshhold bike and run, and also an interval workout for bike and run.

If you were in my shoes, would you do those speed workouts during the week or would you just make those base training-to-recovery intensity workouts? Last year I was racing HIM's pretty hard - pushing Z3 the whole way, and I will probably race JerseyMan pretty agressively. I have raced four HIM's before but I have always gone into them with a taper since they were my "A" races, so I feel weird about going into one without a taper.

FWIW, my longest bike and run so far have been a 100-miler and 18-miler this past weekend. I actually feel great and am recovering more quickly from killer long workouts than I was earlier in the season so my fitness is definitely improving. I am just trying to figure out how to best approach the lead-in week for my 1/2. The week immediately following my 1/2 IM is a scheduled recovery week.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM, no taper - best way to approach? [UrsusAdiposimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done several half IM's in the lead up to an IM. This is what my typical pre race week would look like:
  • Monday: 40 min open water swim+30K of bike commuting
  • Tue: 40K of bike commuting with half of it at half IM race pace, lunch time 60 min run @ IM race pace with something like 4x1k @ half IM race pace (just sub 7 min pace)
  • Wed: hard 90K ride in the morning (6-9 am), 40K group ride with lots of sprints and hills (1-4 min in duration), last 25K ride home with (2x7K FTP effort), optional easy 30 min run at lunch
  • Thu: same at Tue, but running is 75% of Tue on all fronts
  • Fri: Off or 40 min swim depending on how little swimming I have been doing
  • Sat: 30 min bike with 10x1 min sprints, 20 min swim with 10x1 min sprints
  • Sun: Race Day

Quite frankly I can't tell if I go faster in a half IM on this non taper or on a real taper....go figure. I'm doing IM France the same time as you are doing IMCda and I'm doing Mooseman 3 weeks out. But Mooseman is the A event, IM France is an excuse to race in Nice and then hang out in France with my family for few weeks thereafter.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM, no taper - best way to approach? [UrsusAdiposimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd follow a normal training schedule up until 1-2d before the half. Those days i'd keep the frequency, reduce the duration, keep some intensity. More important then what you are going to do the few days before the 1/2 is what you do to facilitate recovery after the half.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM, no taper - best way to approach? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd follow a normal training schedule up until 1-2d before the half. Those days i'd keep the frequency, reduce the duration, keep some intensity. More important then what you are going to do the few days before the 1/2 is what you do to facilitate recovery after the half.[/reply]

Can you eloborate on this abit bri ? or do I have to pay for that info :)