Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1" steerer tube on new bikes?
Quote | Reply
i'm looking for a frame to replace my old guru chron'alu frame (circa 2002/03), and since I've just recently picked up a bunch of new parts, can't justify buying an entire bike. Does anyone still make a tri frame with a 1" steerer? I've got a set of profile carbon-x's that I enjoy riding, and really don't want to have to spend another few hundred dollars on top of the frame cost.

thanks,

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: 1" steerer tube on new bikes? [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any frame with a 1 1/8 non integrated headset can be shimmed to use a 1'' headset and fork. The shim goes in, then the headset and it's completely unnoticeable. I did it for the same reason as you with my Kestrel Talon, I didn't want to give up my CarbonX.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without passing judgment on the merits of a 1" steerer, one should not decide on his/her frame based on parts found in the basement or for which he/she has fondness. I liken that to trying to find a future wife that fits in a certain type of pants.
Of course shimming is an option too, but that is kind of like wearing a few extra pairs of long underwear to fit into jeans which are too big. :-)

Herbert
Last edited by: Herbert: Sep 2, 07 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: 1" steerer tube on new bikes? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but that is kind of like wearing a few extra pairs of long underwear to fit into jeans which are too big. :-)"

well better to small then to big ha ha

you must not be from the north it was 42f this morning

we might need the long underwear soon ;-)

dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Though I agree with Herbert that really a set of aerobars is no reason to determine frame choice. To answer your question I believe Javelin and Felt both use 1" steerers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefered the original version better, where you talked something about getting into your wife's pants ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fair enough. I was entertaining the idea of a new/slightly used frame (for reasonably cheap), as I just purchased a new road bike last year, and cannot justify the cost of a new tri frame. As well, the one I have currently I love, and is totally functional, but it is slightly too big. I suppose the other option is to retrofit the carbon-x's for more drop, or just ride it as is...:P

didn't know about the shim though, thanks sweeney for the info. i'll have to keep that in mind if i can find something in my price range.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you modified the Carbon X bars to get the pads lower? If not, there are several threads on ST explaining how to do it, and that would get you a couple of cm lower on your existing bike. Of course, if the bike's too big because of tob tube length then that won't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Felt TT/Tri bikes use 1" steerer tubes with the exception of the ITU T23 and T43.

I think all the older Cervelo alloy framed bikes use 1" steerer tubes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 1" steerer tube on new bikes? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good to know. my favorite lbs carries felt stuff. now...if i could just get a sweet discount, i might be set.

if only the s22 came as a frameset option :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only in Europe I'm afraid.

Your options will expand in the USA shortly however.

Regards,

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 1" steerer tube on new bikes? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about canada? ;-)

actually, what i need to do is get the cash to just afford a new DA frame (or is the b2 the cheaper one?)....that said, the complete bike price isn't much more than a new frame...so maybe i should just wait a year until i finally have an income and buy a new bike!

they do look fast!

cheers,

-kevin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good plan to me!
In Reply To:
I liken that to trying to find a future wife that fits in a certain type of pants.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
an option
http://www.habcycles.com/tt-tri.html

Quote | Reply
do you mean that having the qualification that my future wife needs to be able to fit into pants that I wear (read: she is smaller than me) isn't good?

crap....

:-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply