Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sweet win by Powless, going solo at GP La Marseillaise today.

Indeed. Off to a good start.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Did you know that there were World Tour one-day races that took place in Aus. this past weekend?
If you are ever on YouTube follow Synapse Cycling. They post clips of just about every race. That's the only reason I know a lot of stuff is happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yup, a 2-horse men’s race—Wout never even looked like he was going all-out yesterday. Maybe a little more open for womens.

That was a great solo by Powless. Any idea what he spoke a out afterward? He look emotional a bit, but there was no audio in my feed. I hope he has a great year. Another nice week earlier in the week by Simmons. He shared his power and that 80 second kick on him is mega.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
Did you know that there were World Tour one-day races that took place in Aus. this past weekend?

I'm vaguely aware, but only really knew about the Bay Crits thing and the TdU. Not going to look it up since I've got some trainer time this afternoon.

The last stage in San Juan was somewhat interesting. Evenepoel and Simmons tried going from 13K. Made it to around 3K. I think Evenepoel is slowly learning that the solo TT effort (he was doing 80% of the work as Simmons seemed constantly on the limit) doesn't really work in flat, non-attritional races.

I wish San Juan would have had that TT on road bikes still and another climb. The parcours was boring even if some of the results were notable.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The parcours was boring.

The Saudi Tour: hold my beer.

Maybe the wind will pick up at some point.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 1, 23 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yup, a 2-horse men’s race—Wout never even looked like he was going all-out yesterday. Maybe a little more open for womens.

That was a great solo by Powless. Any idea what he spoke a out afterward? He look emotional a bit, but there was no audio in my feed. I hope he has a great year. Another nice week earlier in the week by Simmons. He shared his power and that 80 second kick on him is mega.

I just watched - color me impressed. Powless rode a great race: always near the front and watchful, covering moves instantly, helping chase the break but never pulling the group unnecessarily, just very smart. Then Ferron left a little gap when Powless was pushing it on the downhill, and that was it, he went full gas. Must've been a little bittersweet for Ferron to get 2nd when he was the one that let the wheel go. He's a good kid and I'm sure he'll learn from the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Must've been a little bittersweet for Ferron to get 2nd when he was the one that let the wheel go. He's a good kid and I'm sure he'll learn from the experience.

For old kids, I felt bad for Richeze in his last race before retirement, couldn't quite close the gap to Quinn Simmons and finished 2nd . If he'd closed that, real good chance he outsprints Quinn and closes out his career with a stage win in his home country.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 1, 23 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Milan-San Remo this year....instead we have Abbiategrasso to San Remo. It doesn't quite roll off of the tongue right, but its hopefully just a different start due to logistical issues this year.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Feb 3, 23 3:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stage at the Volta today, didn’t realize Jungel Bob had moved over to Bora. Hopefully the health issues are behind him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile over in Besseges the organizers are putting in an order for larger jerseys (or should be). :)

I've been watching De Lie for a couple of years and after today I am a confirmed fanboi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice win for Cofidis and Consonni Corleone in the Saudi. Beat some of the cool kids in a well timed drag.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Nice win for Cofidis and Consonni Corleone in the Saudi. Beat some of the cool kids in a well timed drag.

It was a nice win yesterday for Guerrero and Movistar. He deftly handled the two-on-1 vs. UAE to set up a sprint vs. Formolo. With American Will Barta having an impressive showing.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s making a move for best mustachioed man in spandex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are the Dutch going to switch back to proper orange from their weird bleached-out orange? It can't be too soon.

Our two American women did not have a good start, and this is not a course where it's easy to make up ground.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 4, 23 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Meanwhile over in Besseges the organizers are putting in an order for larger jerseys (or should be). :)

I've been watching De Lie for a couple of years and after today I am a confirmed fanboi.

I've been following him too and I hope they unleash him at some bigger races this year. His final few km at Besseges was a mega ride...ripping the group off of the front for a bit, sitting back in and winning the sprint. Great stuff.

Now for my weekend of CX!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's everyone got for worlds men's and women's races? Can anyone beat Wout besides mechanicals or himself?

I've been working a lot on my gravel bike, which is in turn my cross training bike as well. Its going to be a fun year of gravel! Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of the people here at some races.

I was working on some handling skills and felt really good so I hopped on tarmac to send it and see where we are at. Not bad! I've got 2 extra winter kilos still, but for me this is pretty darn good for February.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puck wins on finish line style points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puck is a boss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Also class in immediately going over to celebrate with Fem. Most dudes would need a few minutes before being able to pretend to congratulate someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powless had another fantastic ride today, but unfortunately Jensen got him at the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He blew that one, should have been his second W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Also class in immediately going over to celebrate with Fem. Most dudes would need a few minutes before being able to pretend to congratulate someone.

I'm curious what Puck could do as a GC rider on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Who's everyone got for worlds men's and women's races? Can anyone beat Wout besides mechanicals or himself?

MvdP will fly over those barriers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He blew that one, should have been his second W.

That was my thought. He has a better kick the Jensen, but he sunk himself by going early and putting all of that work while Jensen tempoed his way right back to him.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

MvdP will fly over those barriers.

Tough call. Unfortunately for all the non-superstars this course isn't very technical, and is all about jumping out of corners with power. The off-camber is almost an afterthought. So I think it's a 2-man show. I'll pick MdVP, despite the niggling issues he's had. Home turf, lots of corners to do his physics-defying accelerations out of.
Quote Reply

Prev Next