Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's finish in the Vuelta a San Juan was quite the nail biter. Really pleased to see QS hold them off, what a gutsy move.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was some crazy power and a clinic how to take a 1k flyer: drilled it and didn’t even look back for 500m, then somehow stayed on it to the line. Chapeau.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 24, 23 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Today's finish in the Vuelta a San Juan was quite the nail biter. Really pleased to see QS hold them off, what a gutsy move.

You had me baffled, then I realized QS is not Quickstep in this case! :-)

Very strange finale. I thought the WT teams would hit that circuit in the changing crosswinds and blow the peloton apart. Instead there was hesitation and confusion, and QS took full advantage. In the interview it sounded like that move was pre-planned.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Instead there was hesitation and confusion, and QS took full advantage.

You'd think after Stybar did this, there'd be more respect for a kilo effort, particularly with it being no secret that Quinn has a Stybar-like strongman pursuit effort. But kudos to Trek and Quinn.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That was some crazy power and a clinic how to take a 1k flyer: drilled it and didn’t even look back for 500m, then somehow stayed on it to the line. Chapeau.

Did he attack in the cross-tailwind section? Wasn't quite sure what was going on, but good tactical move, with the legs to back it up

trail wrote:
eb wrote:

Instead there was hesitation and confusion, and QS took full advantage.

You'd think after Stybar did this, there'd be more respect for a kilo effort, particularly with it being no secret that Quinn has a Stybar-like strongman pursuit effort. But kudos to Trek and Quinn.

My memory is a tad hazy, when did Stybar do a kilo move?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

My memory is a tad hazy, when did Stybar do a kilo move?

Two years ago. Same race. Same autodrome.

Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good recall :)

I thought you might be referring to his win at Het Nieuwsblad in 2019 (kilo-ish, but from a much smaller group).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, they are more alike than not, compared to us.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-gaudu-apologises-after-lashing-out-at-arnaud-demare-in-leaked-online-chat/

Quote:
David Gaudu has apologised after criticising his Groupama-FDJ teammate, Arnaud DĂ©mare, in an online chatroom conversation that was leaked on Wednesday night.

David Gaudu, a regular on the video streaming channel Twitch, was exchanging text-based messages on the Discord platform last week and revealed tensions between himself and DĂ©mare, stating openly that he didn't want the French sprinter to join him at this year's Tour de France.

Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the French or pro cyclists???

Peto to retire at end of year. He’s all-time, hope he bags some big ones during the farewell tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange doings on the Alto de Colorado today. MAL making a statement. Remco making a quite different statement.

And over in Mallorca, that was a helluva ride by Goosens. What a way to get your 1st pro win.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Strange doings on the Alto de Colorado today. MAL making a statement. Remco making a quite different statement.

Don't know what on earth Lotto-QS / Remco were doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked like he (Remco) was trying to blow himself up. It worked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
eb wrote:

Don't know what on earth Lotto-QS / Remco were doing.

Tour de Early Season Training Block? Seems like a lot of guys are given free rein to put in work, take flyers, etc.
Watching it and TDU is like watching the old Tour of Cali and then Utah back to back- without the climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really enjoying this series on the last year's Life Time Grand Prix. Might help you pass the time on your next trainer ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFNwodFvvSc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the the rubber ducky race (X2O) on Saturday and World Cup on Sunday showed us exactly what to expect at Worlds next week. The bigs - men and women - avoided each other by dividing up the two races.

Not sure why Honsinger DNF'd. She had something happen near the start off video and dropped out despite nothing being obviously wrong with her or her bike. Hope she's good for next week, despite having kind of an off year. Curtis White had a solid race, could shoot for a top 20 at Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, a 2-horse men’s race—Wout never even looked like he was going all-out yesterday. Maybe a little more open for womens.

Sweet win by Powless, going solo at GP La Marseillaise today.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 29, 23 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Maybe a little more open for womens.

Maybe in the U23. In the Elite I'll be shocked if Fem or Puck don't win.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

The women's youth movement is so strong that an on-paper fastest-possible U23 field of Van Empel, Pieterse, Van Anrooij, Vas, Schreiber, Backstedt would destroy the "Elite" field. Backstedt is getting interesting. Only 19 years old, and she's getting visibly faster every race.

Hopefully Vos gets better. Again. She just signed for two more years with Jumbo, so clearly she has designs on continuing to be competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasn't Vos had this pelvic-aterial-whatever before? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Hasn't Vos had this pelvic-aterial-whatever before? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I've lost track of which pros have had the iliac artery thing. Also not clear if this is that. I'm guessing this won't involve the full surgery, as the statement mentions spring racing, and I thought full iliac artery surgery was something of a season-killer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

I've lost track of which pros have had the iliac artery thing. Also not clear if this is that. I'm guessing this won't involve the full surgery, as the statement mentions spring racing, and I thought full iliac artery surgery was something of a season-killer.

Joe D had it repaired in 2015. Not complicated but about a 6 months full recovery as I sort of recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes... apparently that was just 3 years ago: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...rtery-surgery-447024. (Damn, how old am I!) Article mentions six weeks recovery post-op, but then, no idea if that's what's going on now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

The women's youth movement is so strong that an on-paper fastest-possible U23 field of Van Empel, Pieterse, Van Anrooij, Vas, Schreiber, Backstedt would destroy the "Elite" field. Backstedt is getting interesting. Only 19 years old, and she's getting visibly faster every race.

Hopefully Vos gets better. Again. She just signed for two more years with Jumbo, so clearly she has designs on continuing to be competitive.

yeah, if i recall puck had the fastest lap overall at fayetteville last year, including the elite women. it's astonishing how much they've raised the bar in one year.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you know that there were World Tour one-day races that took place in Aus. this past weekend?

Neither did i until much after the fact.

Then again, only 4 weeks to Omloop. I really wish my wife’s schedule (read, no real breaks other than Xmas) allowed us to travel in March instead…. The place where we alighted the train is ~10 minutes from where OHN starts…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Did you know that there were World Tour one-day races that took place in Aus. this past weekend?

I'm vaguely aware, but only really knew about the Bay Crits thing and the TdU. Not going to look it up since I've got some trainer time this afternoon.

The last stage in San Juan was somewhat interesting. Evenepoel and Simmons tried going from 13K. Made it to around 3K. I think Evenepoel is slowly learning that the solo TT effort (he was doing 80% of the work as Simmons seemed constantly on the limit) doesn't really work in flat, non-attritional races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next