Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Thanks for not making me go "out there" ?

Well played, it gets dicey in those parts. I'm not a SRM devotee but the new Wahoo ROAM is a nice computer. Has everything but touch screen.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Well played, it gets dicey in those parts. I'm not a SRM devotee but the new Wahoo ROAM is a nice computer. Has everything but touch screen.

Thanks. I think that's the direction I'm headed.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Looks like a good but of nerves in the bunch for the start of the men's TdU. Too many crashes as one might expect on an opening sprint stage.

Stage 2 was fairly entertaining, with a spicy parcours. Bettiol clearly in January mode as a couple power climbs, and he cramped his way of contention - wasn't even hot. Typical drama from Matthews - chain-dropped his way out of contention. (I checked, Shimano, not SRAM). Jay Vine looked good, but could benefit from being slightly more crafty. Dennis just the right amount of crafty, put on no "look at me" displays of TT power until it mattered.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dennis was masterful yesterday, and when he jumped there was little chance anyone would even be able to grab his wheel. Today's/tonight's stage should be a good one.

A lot of dropped chains yesterday. Wonder what's up with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a race today! Corkscrew hill records fell today.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
What a race today! Corkscrew hill records fell today.

Great ride by Rocky. Glad Yates didn't pip him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Sidebar, while things are slow: My 15 year old head unit (PC6) for my SRM finally retired called it a career. Lots of miles in that one, amortized well. So to the SRM devotees, is there a better alternative to a PC8 head unit from SRM? Do I go Garmin or Wahoo? Thanks for not making me go "out there" ?

What’s “out there”?

Otherwise, if i were in your shoes, i’d get an used Garmin or PC8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Overall I'd say Garmin has the edge in most aspects, but Wahoo is *still* easier to read in all lighting conditions. I'm slightly annoyed at switching from Wahoo to Garmin a year or so ago because of that. And Wahoo is good enough at everything else. The "Connect" ecosystem is pretty good if you have other Garmin products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Overall I'd say Garmin has the edge in most aspects, but Wahoo is *still* easier to read in all lighting conditions. I'm slightly annoyed at switching from Wahoo to Garmin a year or so ago because of that. And Wahoo is good enough at everything else. The "Connect" ecosystem is pretty good if you have other Garmin products.

Thanks, all. "Out there" would be the rest of ST. I think there's enough talent here.
Ruled out the PC8 just bc its twice as much as everything else. I'm not that serious anymore. Also, I now need my glasses to read the PC6. When I started serious riding I didn't have glasses at all. Oy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the feeling (re: better lighting and larger texts).

I would go for Edge 530 or larger (like the Wahoo units @trail suggested).

When I started, Edge 500 sufficed, but I really appreciate the larger format and better contrast on the 520.

I don't know enough about Wahoo QC, but the Garmin Edge units I've had are somewhat subpar.

Unit 1, Edge 500, purchased new in November 2011, out of commission in October 2012;

Unit 2, Edge 500, replacement for unit 1, out of commission in August 2013;

Unit 3, Edge 500, had a sticky button, replaced in April 2016 for an Edge 520;

Unit 4, Edge 520, still in use, but the battery could hold only half of full capacity charge for outdoor use by the end of 2019 (this despite it seeing a lot less use after fall 2017). I can use it for indoor purposes for 6 hours between charges.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I know the feeling (re: better lighting and larger texts).

I would go for Edge 530 or larger (like the Wahoo units @trail suggested).

When I started, Edge 500 sufficed, but I really appreciate the larger format and better contrast on the 520.

I don't know enough about Wahoo QC, but the Garmin Edge units I've had are somewhat subpar.

Unit 1, Edge 500, purchased new in November 2011, out of commission in October 2012;

Unit 2, Edge 500, replacement for unit 1, out of commission in August 2013;

Unit 3, Edge 500, had a sticky button, replaced in April 2016 for an Edge 520;

Unit 4, Edge 520, still in use, but the battery could hold only half of full capacity charge for outdoor use by the end of 2019 (this despite it seeing a lot less use after fall 2017). I can use it for indoor purposes for 6 hours between charges.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

You can replace the battery in a 520 - there are some helpful videos on youtube. Mine was down about 50% when I replaced it last year and it works fine now. I use mine in cold weather (far below freezing) a lot and the aging battery was getting to be a pain.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
echappist wrote:

You can replace the battery in a 520 - there are some helpful videos on youtube. Mine was down about 50% when I replaced it last year and it works fine now. I use mine in cold weather (far below freezing) a lot and the aging battery was getting to be a pain.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked into it, but seems there's a bit of soldering and silicone sealing required. Might be a bit more than what I can do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for racing, anyone think Bettiol would get DQed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:
echappist wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked into it, but seems there's a bit of soldering and silicone sealing required. Might be a bit more than what I can do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for racing, anyone think Bettiol would get DQed?

Yeah, the battery replacement is not trivial. I would never have attempted it without the videos to guide me. And even then it was a bit tricky.

As for racing, if I were a commissaire I would have relegated Bettiol for that move. It was reckless.

Maybe someone should bounce a bidon off his noggin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remepoel vs. Bernal, and perhaps the last time the three amigos will square off on dirt this winter. Pretty solid Sunday lineup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Remepoel vs. Bernal, and perhaps the last time the three amigos will square off on dirt this winter. Pretty solid Sunday lineup.

And a final TDU slugfest this evening as well. Lots to look forward to!

I really hope we see peak Egan again some day. If anyone can give Tadej and Remco and Jonas a good fight, he is the one to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, would be great to see him back at peak form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I made the mistake of tuning into the Exact Cross this morning. The women was Betsema riding away from the start. Austin Killups made an elite CX podium! (though I don't think we should turn this thread into a transgender discussion thread...we already have a few of those in this forum).

And Merlier won the men's, which shows you the level of men who showed up.

Yeah, the Sunday lineup will be fun, men and women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how big of a temperature shock the pros will have when they get back to the gloomy winter of the Low Countries...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of temperature shock, CX in Spain looks like American gravel racing, big dust clouds and biggish pelotons.

Absolutely brilliant races, men and women, both fun start to finish. Quite a change for the Dutch to go from 0.1KPH hip-deep mud last week to 40KPH hardpack singletrack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Speaking of temperature shock, CX in Spain looks like American gravel racing, big dust clouds and biggish pelotons.

Absolutely brilliant races, men and women, both fun start to finish. Quite a change for the Dutch to go from 0.1KPH hip-deep mud last week to 40KPH hardpack singletrack.
Yeah, that course looked like the courses Stateside (e.g. Arkansas)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best CX race of the year...both women's and men's.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stonerider wrote:
Best CX race of the year...both women's and men's.

Definitely exciting. I'm glad Spain did their own thing and didn't try to make it more "traditional."

That said, I've never seen a gravel race anywhere near that technical, and the course was way more innovative and challenging than Fayetteville. (Is there a single off camber anything in the whole Fayetteville course? Not that I've found...)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile in Argentina.

Remco did a monster pull, of like the peloton, into the final km. Then traffic island caused all sorts of mayhem. Difficult to get cameras, so no idea how it unraveled, but Sam Bennett blew away Lefevere's boys. Danny van Poppel sure does a hell of leadout.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice flex from Remco, too bad Fabio took the wrong way around furniture and was so out of position.

Benidorm might have been the best CX race of season… thus far.
Quote Reply

Prev Next