Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i watched that (more like 7-8K i think). i don't know how hard all those front group riders had ridden up to that point or even just before Plapp's first big attack - but the dynamics in this video - looked like everyone against Bling and Bling for the most part ready to take on covering everything and keeping the pace going between attacks.
Plapp's attacks were huge - his first one could have succeeded without the huge chase from Matthews, but... I think Plapp's post race comments were right - that having the other 2 riders only watch Matthews helped him (and he didn't need much).
that was a fun clip to watch - those riders looked wrecked like they had raced a proper championship race.

they way that group raced against Bling suggests more of the same against the super riders Wout, MVDP, Pog, Remco to come this Spring....
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australia isn't big enough for Lachlan's endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Last 5k of men’s AU race championship, worth a watch

That was a great watch. Plapp looked awful early and missed some moves, but showed what enormous class he is. I'd love to see his data from that race.

It took me a bit, but I'm finally caught up on all things racing. I almost felt bad watching Wout beat up on MvdP so frequently. I get the MvdP is injured again it seems, but Wout looks even further beyond the rest of the riders than he has been at any time I remember. That is frightening for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last lap was a really excellent watch. So many scenarios. If in doubt - lead it out.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibopino to retire at end of season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Tibopino to retire at end of season.

Not surprising. It was depressing watching him being depressed all the time last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of OZ, Peacock will have Men's and Women's Tour Down Under coverage, starting Saturday 1/14

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velogames.com Slowtwitch league has been created

League Name: Slowtwitch
League Code: 663409510
Last edited by: ChrisC42780: Jan 13, 23 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We made it through the dark days of road racing offseason again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Speaking of OZ, Peacock will have Men's and Women's Tour Down Under coverage, starting Saturday 1/14

Speaking of TdU, whatever you do don't fat-shame retirement Porte(ly) or his wife *will* come after you. And good for her! Of course he just looks like a normal, healthy dude now unlike most active pro climbers.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit cycling has a serious issue if he’s getting comments about being fat.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you want a good laugh, check out puck pieterse's course preview video (on youtube) of the dutch CX champs course. it's a total gongshow - people helping to pull one another out of knee-deep mud. puck - who's famously not someone who struggles with the technical stuff - has to dismount and run through the pit lane because it's so muddy.

chaos awaits!

along similar lines the swiss CX champs are happening just near my house tomorrow - i'm debating going, but it looks like it'll be pouring rain...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
if you want a good laugh, check out puck pieterse's course preview video (on youtube) of the dutch CX champs course. it's a total gongshow - people helping to pull one another out of knee-deep mud. puck - who's famously not someone who struggles with the technical stuff - has to dismount and run through the pit lane because it's so muddy.

chaos awaits!

along similar lines the swiss CX champs are happening just near my house tomorrow - i'm debating going, but it looks like it'll be pouring rain...

You mean mudshow / merdeshow? Might be even too much mud for swine that likes to roll in mud…

Mad props to them all for toeing the line in such conditions.

D’oh, direct youtu.be link no longer works for hotlink, it’s this one

Last edited by: echappist: Jan 14, 23 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great live coverage here (in dutch, but still):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qpu5qMPk3s

puck wins the women's race! by a solid margin over fem and ceylin. vos looked to be having a miserable day, and was reduced to a shuffle at one or two points. definitely a slogfest, full of knee-deep slop - i'm sure the pictures will be epic.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
it's a total gongshow

You mean mudshow / merdeshow?

I'm pretty sure referring to something as a "gongshow" is a uniquely Canadian expression (I associate it with hockey culture).

Anybody have any predictions in the TDU? So much Aussie GC-firepower, hard to imagine anything that an all-hometeam podium.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
echappist wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
it's a total gongshow

I'm pretty sure referring to something as a "gongshow" is a uniquely Canadian expression (I associate it with hockey culture).

Or ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
echappist wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
it's a total gongshow

Or ...

Oh I'm familiar with the Gong Show. I've just never heard anyone other than Canadian males of a certain vintage use the term "gongshow" to describe an over-the-top or out-of-hand situation. Maybe that was an erroneous assumption. See: https://www.urbandictionary.com/...ne.php?term=gongshow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve actually heard of it before (has roots in a TV show, iirc).

Just that i don’t think there’s much to celebrate about riding in that much mud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

The commentary on the Women's racing has been pretty good, and I love the palette on the graphics/branding [dark blue, light blue, and orange]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooh! A Merckx style TT. Game on.

Spirited end to the Women’s last night. Better contested than Cowboys v Brady.
Last edited by: WannaB: Jan 17, 23 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/.../1615335491104301058

FINALLY OFFICIAL!!!

#LFG

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully that will provide an Astana storyline for 2023 that isn’t about doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, in case anyone wants to catch a glimpse of the veritable mudfest that was Dutch CX Nationals, here it is... Boot-high puddles, ugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qpu5qMPk3s

Last edited by: echappist: Jan 17, 23 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a good but of nerves in the bunch for the start of the men's TdU. Too many crashes as one might expect on an opening sprint stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidebar, while things are slow: My 15 year old head unit (PC6) for my SRM finally retired called it a career. Lots of miles in that one, amortized well. So to the SRM devotees, is there a better alternative to a PC8 head unit from SRM? Do I go Garmin or Wahoo? Thanks for not making me go "out there" ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next