Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Rog continues to make the case to take on PoGo. Would have been interesting to see him go up against Pidcock on that kind of finish.

Classy of Wout to go over to Pidcock. Seems those guys have a lot of respect for one another.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And Rog continues to make the case to take on PoGo. Would have been interesting to see him go up against Pidcock on that kind of finish.

Classy of Wout to go over to Pidcock. Seems those guys have a lot of respect for one another.

pidcock got dropped before that hill and he got back in - I don't think he had the legs

wout ass is going to hurt tomorrow - those cuts are almost exactly where the saddles touches the body - hard to heal area

and yeah I agreed that JV should take Primo to the tour... Jonas on his own aint winning against Pogi

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Mar 9, 23 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That finish circuit was kind of fun. You could tell it was an exercise in self-discipline from the moment they first hit it, and each turn around. You just knew it was gonna be Primoz from the base of the final ascent. He looked great, attacking, then holding back enough for that final punch. No idea what they do in July, but he will scorch this year's Giro course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Jonas on his own aint winning against Pogi

I don't know. I absolutely call Pogi the favorite, but with a 2nd and a 1st at the TdF, I think it's clear Vengagaard is not a fluke over 3 weeks. No chance against TaddyPo over one week. Three weeks is different.

Roglic is the opposite. He looks electric over a week or so. But seems to fatigue over three weeks against top shelf GC guys.

It'd be great if Roglic goes to the TdF, but I still pick Venga as the unambiguous #1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
Jonas on his own aint winning against Pogi

I don't know. I absolutely call Pogi the favorite, but with a 2nd and a 1st at the TdF, I think it's clear Vengagaard is not a fluke over 3 weeks. No chance against TaddyPo over one week. Three weeks is different.

if pogi doesn't sprint with the sprinter and fall for Rogglic attack during the tour I think he could have won it EASILY.

Jonas dropped him yeah but after pogi emptied the tank doing all sort of stuff to gain time on Jonas.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:

if pogi doesn't sprint with the sprinter and fall for Rogglic attack during the tour I think he could have won it EASILY.

Jonas dropped him yeah but after pogi emptied the tank doing all sort of stuff to gain time on Jonas.

Oh yeah, I think Venga needs team help to win. Pogacar has a wide range of tools (impossibly wide, he's good at everything), and Venga has a small range of tools. But I still like him over Roglic. Roglic has a long history now, and is erratic. Venga, so far, has been nails at the TdF. He's needed help at times, and has been bailed out. But he played his part, e.g. doing his part when helped by WvA, et al.

In a 7-day stage race I'd 100% take Roglic.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 9, 23 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing signs of life from Primoz makes me very happy. It must mean that the recovery from surgery has gone well. Maybe he'll do well at the Giro after all.

And how often do you see two of the best bike handlers in the peloton take each other out?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

I put it mostly on Wout. Pidcock was done with his domestique work, and was doing the right thing by sitting up and drifting backwards in a straight line. Wout was trying to squeeze into a gap, and crossed Pidcock's front wheel.

It was enjoyable seeing the megasuperstars MdVP and Pidcock both in pure domestique mode. Not even doing the final leadout, but the early positioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Seeing signs of life from Primoz makes me very happy. It must mean that the recovery from surgery has gone well. Maybe he'll do well at the Giro after all.

+1 super happy to see him back at it. He's a great rider who's had a lot of bad luck, but always comes across as affable and with a good mindset.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2. I’ve always rooted for him. Crashing out of the Tour and then rallying to win the Olympic TT was a great show of his class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No P-N today and the wind is bananas in Italy too. Though the course is to wiggly for any echelons to form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good there is a spectator rest day. I find each morning I can't keep track who is where. Vinga, Wout, Pidcock and Tadej in France. Oh, and Matty Jo too. MvdP, Girmay and Roglic in Italy. Everyone else is coin flip in my head to start the day.
Last edited by: WannaB: Mar 10, 23 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, bananas windy uphill finish in Italy. Great idea by Bahrain, but they couldn't quite pull it off. Without the savage headwind neutralizing everything in the last kilo, might have worked.

Super crafty by Primo to show absolutely nothing until 50m from the line. I think he was actually suffering, but the race came together perfectly for him.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 10, 23 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tho he had nothing in the tank...

Long time since I have seen a high mountain finish with so many riders tho

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He waited, waited, waited so patiently and sprang at the last possible moment. About as crafty as a rider can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy stat today pointed out by McEwen: Sagan has 309 top ten finishes. That's versatility.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hope he gets one more this year on farewell tour.

The Slovenians taking everyone to the woodshed today. Wonder what’s going through Vinge’s mind as Roglic lights it up.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost certain to come to nothing, but I like where Bahrains' heads have been at the past couple days in Italy.

"3-2-1" Vlasov. Credit to the GCN announcers on that one.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 11, 23 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Really hope he gets one more this year on farewell tour.

The Slovenians taking everyone to the woodshed today. Wonder what’s going through Vinge’s mind as Roglic lights it up.
It’s March. He’s not thinking anything other than maybe hoping Roglic comes to the TdF.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vertebrae6395 wrote:
It’s March. He’s not thinking anything other than maybe hoping Roglic comes to the TdF.

Yeah, it's astonishing that Pogacar is world-beating fit 365 days/year. That doesn't mean Venga has to play by those rules. He may be more old school, rounding into top shape around the Dauphine/Suisse.

Concerning, but no reason to panic, losing in March.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

"3-2-1" Vlasov. Credit to the GCN announcers on that one.

I'm just glad they haven't come up with Kobe "Beef" Goossens yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great day of racing. I sometimes wonder if the really dominant guys (Pogacar, Roglic, Vinge) would be better off not winning everything and making some friends and alliances with other teams like Indurain used to do. But I can also see the counter argument: a win is a win, and sponsors want as many wins as possible.

Gaudu looked today like a candidate to join the 6.5 w/kg ftp club today. Hopefully it is not a one-off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pogacar aside, he can’t even beat Gaudu right now. Yeah, it’s only March and maybe a bad week, but that has to be at least a little concerning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested to know how much Gaudu weighs this year compared to last. He looks very lean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProCycling Stats lists him at 53kg which seems shocking light (to me)
Quote Reply

Prev Next