Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
finally they announce a winner
what a finale !

fantastic overhead shot - and wowzers, winner says just "ok" when told

Demi is the queen of the understatement.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Strade

MdVP, Piddles, LFF
Bettiol, Bam Bam McNulty

Donne:

Vollering, Moolman, Labous
LCU, Chabbey

So who is going to go first? EF has done a lot of work for Bettiol.

Pidcock and MvdP have been invisible so far, in a good way. Bam Bam looks like he has a puncture and is trying to get help.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
trail wrote:
Strade

MdVP, Piddles, LFF
Bettiol, Bam Bam McNulty

Donne:

Vollering, Moolman, Labous
LCU, Chabbey

So who is going to go first? EF has done a lot of work for Bettiol.

Pidcock and MvdP have been invisible so far, in a good way. Bam Bam looks like he has a puncture and is trying to get help.

It's like Formo is riding for T Dub. Don't know why he and Piddles are chasing this.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know either. I can't imagine this is the winning move for Pidcock, but what do I know.

Looks like Bettiol is dropping. MvdP has been uncharacteristically patient. I'm waiting for him to try to destroy this.

edit: I don't know if its true, but supposedly Bettiol and Sheffield were taken out due to an Ineos team car.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Mar 4, 23 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil G said the Ineos team car looked to have damage - but if it took out
Sheffield i wonder why it wasn't around where they were down ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bora might have left it too late for Higgy but they're riding.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good point. Whatever was the cause, Sheff looked incredibly good and waiting for 4 minutes to get a bike was crushing.

I think I might be eating my words and Pidcock MIGHT take this. I didn't think he had the raw power to get away for 50 kms, but I underestimated how much time he could put in to everyone on these technical sectors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Bora might have left it too late for Higgy but they're riding.....

He's still in there? I had no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky is looking good. As in TB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rui nation of yet another promising break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He sure is, but I just don't see the punch for him to catch Pidcock and beat him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone pre-race picked Valter
do you guys think he f'd TB on riding up/possibly pulling others up to group ?

well Valter goes and looks like he's got Legs
Last edited by: heyMartin: Mar 4, 23 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That chasing group, particularly TJV, screwed the pooch and lost themselves this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Benoot is pissed at Costa, not his teammate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
The Rui nation of yet another promising break.

Chapeau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does/has he ever done more than a makeshift turn on the front ?
i've been listening too much to the commentators !
Last edited by: heyMartin: Mar 4, 23 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Pidcock's interview and dang what a mega ride. Tom's ceiling is insane.

Rui has had quite a start to the season. I need to find his coach and figure out the "stronger before 40" program he's on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I would be too pissed at Valter. They were still pretty far out, and there was a lot of firepower in there. It isn't like he dragged them all the way back and made the catch at the last 5km. That said, they certainly didn't seem like they had a plan once they got together.

Hell of an effort by Pidcock. So in the last four years, all of the Cx Wunderkinds have now won it.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mohoric just gave an interview and basically said TJV and Valter lost the race with their tactics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJV - couldnt have won the race either - neither rider had the pop and staying power to get away from that group (or pidcock if they caught) - so the work to catch would have been for one of them to get 2nd or 3rd. costa has serious anchor like properties. if he had a teammate i'd like their chances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of sad watching Sagan go off the back. This sport is brutally honest.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
TJV - couldnt have won the race either - neither rider had the pop and staying power to get away from that group (or pidcock if they caught) - so the work to catch would have been for one of them to get 2nd or 3rd. costa has serious anchor like properties. if he had a teammate i'd like their chances.

I would have sacrificed Valter to bring Tom back instead of 5 different oddly timed surges by him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i didnt catch sagan getting dropped but maybe like froome a while back he'll get a when am i dropped camera for a while.
i have to think he just doesnt have the former motivation - i can't imagine there arent coaches/doctors/physiologists galore wanting to help him find his old level.
i was disappointed how long he waited in 2019 wales worlds to make a move but had no idea I had just seen his last major gasp.

can he adjust like kristoff to taking the a run at the occasional second tier race? I doubt it.
he took charge of races and was raced against so hard in a way that maybe won't be quite the same anymore bc the talent level is so deep. i bet tadej/wout/mvdp/(maybe pidcock soon) will disagree when they are not having their best day but the whole peloton followed whatever he did and rarely gave much of a turn to help. amazing rider who brought so many fans to the sport.
but as you say cycling is brutal - so as i said earlier arnuad de lie in every race he enters for me.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Sagan and +1000 on Arnaud de Lie. The kid is a stud.

Aside from Pidcock's insane ride the other rider who blew my mind was Romain Gregoire. He grew up around my in law's and we've run in to him and followed him since his youth. Taking a top 10 at Strade on your maiden voyage is crazy. He is going to have a big year and career, I just pray that FDJ don't try to turn him in to a GC rider and leave him a puncheur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i get the sacrifice valter - it might have worked to get to pidcock but i kind of doubt it - they got the closest when they all took turns and then everyone attacked solo to close last 15-20 secs. I dont think valter could have closed that much on his own. but if valter sacrifices maybe benoot could have found a few extra watts?
and if valter did take charge no way anyone else would have helped benoot finish the closing. jumbo looks invincible when they have one more card with a shit ton of punch to play - they really needed one more rider (are laporte/van baarle - bummed they missed this?).

all 5 of those dudes were maxed out (6 including pidcock) - there was no more extended snap to get a gap and stay away. i actually think the result was as honest as it could have been - pidcock deserved that madous worked and had a lil to surge / benoot had the team and ambition to try on his own. imo - that was a VERY deserving podium. costa snagging 4th is good for my pre race picks but he didnt deserve the help he got imo.

i'll be replaying that one a few times - after i replay the womens race first!
Quote Reply

Prev Next