Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Dang, Powpow got *rolled* by a French kid in France. Kid did a great job of letting Powless be "the strongest guy in the break." Until it mattered.

And now the entire team got rolled after pulling the peloton for 20+ km, only to lose the plot on the decisive climb…

Inexplicable racing decisions. And to think, Cort pulled off such a great win
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Inexplicable racing decisions.

Oh dear. I haven't watched the last stage yet - my area finally got above 32F (barely) for a day, so did a road ride instead of trainer. But yesterday's stage was odd with Powless apparently trying to lead out Piccolo or something? At least I hope he was trying to lead out Piccolo, because if he was racing for himself, he was Doing It Wrong. But it was the same thing you describe, EF controlling the field all day despite not having the leader's jersey, and then completely losing control in the last 10K.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Oh dear.

Yep, yesterday EF did all the work despite not having the leader's jersey, and got jumped at the finish.

Today, they did all the work despite not having the leader's jersey, let a dangerous rider get away solo for the win, and then got jumped in the bunch sprint.

Net result for two days: Powless dropped from 2nd to 3rd overall. My armchair DS opinion is that they should've sat back a little more and let Arkea, Trek, and AG2R do more of the work. Those teams were more than happy to let EF sit on the front until the last few km.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Didn’t see that one coming. Seems like it’s time for Martinez to get a leadership role.

Ineos just confirmed Martinez is going to be their sole leader at the Tour after last year's trident fiasco. Apparently he got sick last year. Question is whether he will hit the current benchmark of 6.5 w/kg over 20 minutes in July so that he can stay with Pogi and Vingegaard. I think he is a serious podium contender but Pogi seems to be in a league of his own (at the moment)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless Vingegaardner and Pog have bad luck, it’s a race for 3rd. Glad he’ll get a crack.

Good racing in UAE. Remco looked like a boss as a few teams blew the race up in crosswinds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That photo finish, it really looked like a fair tie to me. They should have simply awarded a win for both.

No offense to the likes of Plapp and Bilbao but I don't really see anyone challenging Remco in the GC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my mind is slipping but I think you teased a big reveal a few weeks ago
anytime soon ?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Oh dear.

Yep, yesterday EF did all the work despite not having the leader's jersey, and got jumped at the finish.

Today, they did all the work despite not having the leader's jersey, let a dangerous rider get away solo for the win, and then got jumped in the bunch sprint.

Net result for two days: Powless dropped from 2nd to 3rd overall. My armchair DS opinion is that they should've sat back a little more and let Arkea, Trek, and AG2R do more of the work. Those teams were more than happy to let EF sit on the front until the last few km.

They really need to keep Cort on as DS. I get that his success is at least partially down to his own physiology, but to snatch that win from the chasing pack takes brains, too; not to mention the decision to roll with the break in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new skin suit? No, that wasn't it.

Thursday...
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Oh dear.

They really need to keep Cort on as DS. I get that his success is at least partially down to his own physiology, but to snatch that win from the chasing pack takes brains, too; not to mention the decision to roll with the break in the first place.

Watched it again while pretending to ride the rollers. Just seemed like a big pink flex. Not sure what the strategy was, but generally EF rides well as a team.

Anyway, IT'S LOOP WEEK.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Not sure what the strategy was, but generally EF rides well as a team.

Anyway, IT'S LOOP WEEK.

They do, and I'm excited to see them take Carapaz off the chain.

LOOP WEEK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
generally EF rides well as a team

Nailed it today. Just got pipped by team Remco. I so love the harmony of a TTT.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
I so love the harmony of a TTT.

Not enough of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yes. It is Omloop week!

Alright peeps. Here is your official season kickoff!

MEDIA DAY will be Thursday 2/23. Spackler has a reveal, and then as defending champ will be vague and formulaic discussing his preparation for this season. McNulty will mix sage advice and metaphors to amuse and confuse. e-chappy will have detailed course breakdowns. trail will tell us how his Winter Wonderland altitude camp has prepared him. Clay Davis will be Tadej-esque awe shucks, and then throw down. And artist formerly known as turdburgler will be setting up his post race Strava file spreadsheets. eb, HeyMartin, Sullisbrew and trener1 will be in tent 2 signing autographs.

Race Calendar this year:

Omloop 2/25
KBK 2/26
Strade 3/4
MSR (or wherever it starts this year) 3/18
Brugge De Panne 3/22
E3H 3/24
Gent 3/26
Dwars 3/29
De Ronde 4/2
Roubaix 4/9
DB Pijl 4/12
Amstel 4/16
La Fleche Walone 4/19
LBL 4/23

You should know the rules. But for extra incentive this year, Commisioner is offering up a purse. Giftcard arranged via PM.

https://mybeersoftheworld.com/ (or somehwere similar near your home course)
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 21, 23 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many many thanks in advance.

Owe you a drink or two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I figured Ineos and Soudal would do well, but EF was a big surprise. The other team that surprised me was Bebop-Alula.

We need more TTTs. I really wish they'd bring back the Olympic 4-man 100km, and the WC team TTT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flobikes has the Loop but they're supposed to be dead to me. I'd like to go VPN + Europlayer but they won't take my payment I think bc it is from the states? If anyone has a work around, please share? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
WannaB wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I figured Ineos and Soudal would do well, but EF was a big surprise. The other team that surprised me was Bebop-Alula.

We need more TTTs. I really wish they'd bring back the Olympic 4-man 100km, and the WC team TTT.

Why did Bebop surprise you ? Their director Marco Pinotti knows his aero and TTT$hit.
Last edited by: marcag: Feb 21, 23 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Flobikes has the Loop but they're supposed to be dead to me. I'd like to go VPN + Europlayer but they won't take my payment I think bc it is from the states? If anyone has a work around, please share? Thanks.

Flobikes sucks.
VPN + GCN? VPN + YouTube (UCI channel in Bahama?)? Tiz-cycling?
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Feb 21, 23 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Why did Bebop surprise you ? Their director Marco Pinotti knows his aero and TTT$hit.

I plead ignorance! :-) When I looked at the roster the only real TT guys that jumped out at me were Scotson and Hepburn, with Mezgec a notch below. And had I realized that Pinotti was involved (I didn't), I definitely would've looked further. Pinotti is one of those guys I admire; he always maximised his results beyond his natural physical talent by being very thoughtful and analytical.

And frankly TTTs are always a little hard to predict (as you know). For this one a lot of teams brought leadout trains, and leadout guys can be pretty damn good at TTT even when they aren't particularly good at ITT.
Last edited by: eb: Feb 21, 23 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loop in 4 days... Always seems so wide open with so many riders coming in with unknown form. Pidcock seems ready to go though, and Ineos brings a lineup with a lot of potential (Narvaez, Kwiat, Shef Magnus, Ben Turner). JV looking good too with Laporte, Benoot and DvB, though form is more mysterious there.

Is it just me or does the calendar seem busy this year? Saturday we've got the Loop, UAE, Gran Camino, Faun Ardeche and Rwanda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
And yes. It is Omloop week!

Alright peeps. Here is your official season kickoff!

MEDIA DAY will be Thursday 2/23. Spackler has a reveal, and then as defending champ will be vague and formulaic discussing his preparation for this season. McNulty will mix sage advice and metaphors to amuse and confuse. e-chappy will have detailed course breakdowns. trail will tell us how his Winter Wonderland altitude camp has prepared him. Clay Davis will be Tadej-esque awe shucks, and then throw down. And artist formerly known as turdburgler will be setting up his post race Strava file spreadsheets. eb, HeyMartin, Sullisbrew and trener1 will be in tent 2 signing autographs.

Race Calendar this year:

Omloop 2/25
KBK 2/26
Strade 3/4
MSR (or wherever it starts this year) 3/18
Brugge De Panne 3/22
E3H 3/24
Gent 3/26
Dwars 3/29
De Ronde 4/2
Roubaix 4/9
DB Pijl 4/12
Amstel 4/16
La Fleche Walone 4/19
LBL 4/23

You should know the rules. But for extra incentive this year, Commisioner is offering up a purse. Giftcard arranged via PM.

https://mybeersoftheworld.com/ (or somehwere similar near your home course)

let's go!!!!!

Pogi out Strade kinda sucks but it will be a great race regardless!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.0. And thanks for organizing!

Sensations are not good but stoke is peaking. I’ve donned my Sweet Protection aero lid, which doubles for Uno-x TT wear and a thinking cap for an assist. On top of it, I’m in So Cal with a bunch of cycling writers and Ma Nature is fixing to serve up some classics-style weather.

Pogi out of Strade is a drag but should be a major throw-down nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’m in So Cal with a bunch of cycling writers and Ma Nature is fixing to serve up some classics-style weather.

Near perfect conditions. Envious over here. Crush it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of, hard man stuff in Gran Camino. Just pulled the plug on the day.
I'm waiting until it hits 60 f to head out. No one is paying me to do this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next