Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the UCI's youtube channel shows most everything where rights haven't been sold.
(See, for example, Bahamas.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm U.S. based, I tried doing a vpn with Eurosport a while back, but, if I remembers correctly, Eurosport would accept a U.S. based credit card for payment? That sound plausible?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VPN + GCN should work, I think

A few people here are running that set-up, I'd wait for them to chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
MJ kicked to the W in Oman today—awesome to see him get his first pro victory.

And topped it off with the overall! Excited to see how he does on the cobbles this year. Not sure what his schedule is going to be. And how much Italy he includes in his spring. He would be a contender in Strade. Had a strong first ever showing in MSR. He wouldn't win in a bunch or 3/4-up, but maybe podium. A Mohoric-style attack could stick.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
MJ kicked to the W in Oman today—awesome to see him get his first pro victory.

And topped it off with the overall! Excited to see how he does on the cobbles this year. Not sure what his schedule is going to be. And how much Italy he includes in his spring. He would be a contender in Strade. Had a strong first ever showing in MSR. He wouldn't win in a bunch or 3/4-up, but maybe podium. A Mohoric-style attack could stick.

I'm gonna cop a mea culpa and say that I confused him with Magnus Sheffield.

My faculties are slipping...
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s got the legs, maybe this will give him a boost of confidence to close the deal a few more times.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I'm gonna cop a mea culpa and say that I confused him with Magnus Sheffield.

Most of our current crop of A-list Americans all have stealth euro names. Magnus, Matteo, Neilson, Vermaerke, Sepp.

At least we still have a Joe and a Larry.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile, the Spanish bomb in Andalucia. Oh, mi corazon.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the tank for Uno X this year. I think they'll have a good year. Good lead out for AK in Algarve.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can confirm this works
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those fellas from the far north have their mutton stew together and are eating it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now all the the other team sporting directors are trying to figure out what races Pogacar won't be at.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 15, 23 20:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I bet the big dogs (Remco, Roglic, i'd include Jay Vine but... now he's a teammate!) are looking forward to clashing with Taddy Po. Maybe the skinny big dogs aren't looking forward to when Tadej takes on MVdP and Wout. If Tadej gets to race with his A team (Wellens is killing it) every race (why wouldn't UAE only race him with the best team) I think you're right - it's going to be really hard to find any chinks in his armor. incredibly impressive start.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flanders might be the most wide-open, crazy awesome race of the year:
Taddy Po & Wellens
Wout & DvB & LaPorte
MvdP & Vermeersch
Pidcock & Top Ganna & Magnus van Magnus & Wurf (it’s ST, after all)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Flanders might be the most wide-open, crazy awesome race of the year:
Taddy Po & Wellens
Wout & DvB & LaPorte
MvdP & Vermeersch
Pidcock & Top Ganna & Magnus van Magnus & Wurf (it’s ST, after all)

Yeah. The lieutenants are legit on their own. If UAE can keep TW on a short leash that's going to be fun to watch. Or even if he says eff the leash he's fun to watch.

Managing what looks to be serious early season form may be T Po's real challenge. He's riding away from some of the cool kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mid Feb and already great racing. 30 k in at Andalusia. Won't spoil it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

It's "songs in Andalucia" but I'll give you credit for trying

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Magnus Cort win was a doozy. he makes up soooo much ground when everyone is dying. reminded me a lot of how he overtook poor Nick Schultz at the tour stage last year. it's like the opposite of Phil Gil in his prime when he would ride away in the last 2 minute hill of a race and no one could muster any reserves to counter. Magnus can weather the crazy hard pace and still have a few extra big watt pedal strokes at the end. looks like I have stage finishes to watch on the trainer tonight.
i completely agree about the firepower the big dogs have for the one day races coming up. if the set up man can whittle the race down to 2-3-4 riders (Wellens in 2 races already!) the battle might be for how and when to let the set up men off the leash.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
eb wrote:

It's "songs in Andalucia" but I'll give you credit for trying

Hey, I'm just glad somebody picked up on it. Felt lonely there for a while!

Meanwhile in Portugal, the Tour de Old Sprinters has another thrilling finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Mid Feb and already great racing. 30 k in at Andalusia. Won't spoil it.

Pogacar seems to win even when trying to give away a win to Mas. He seemed happy to follow his wheel and let him take it, but when Mas faltered and the other guys closed in he took off making it look like he had two extra gears. Can't wait to see Pogacar, Vingegaard and Remco together doing a similar climb.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grand theft Magstache.
Ganna is amazing. Biggest guy out there and he hangs on to the front group all the way up to the finish.
Ineos bosses the ride and comes up bubkis. Looked good though. Kwiat has to be ????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can call Bahrain to commiserate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
They can call Bahrain to commiserate.

Yeah. They've got Pidcock right there, Danny Martinez, hell, Kwiat. Maybe they all should've ridden for Kwiat. He's known to close. Weird. They make such an effort to dominate up front then they've got no juice to finish I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Pogacar seems to win even when trying to give away a win to Mas. He seemed happy to follow his wheel and let him take it, but when Mas faltered and the other guys closed in he took off making it look like he had two extra gears. Can't wait to see Pogacar, Vingegaard and Remco together doing a similar climb.

It really looks like Pogi is racing down a Cat. It's like he's hoping someone can give him a race, but his "having fun pace" is putting the best of the rest on their limit. His team looks great too. Gotta be demoralizing for everyone else.

Don't want to read too much into things for the Grand Tour riders in February, but it's ominous. Still holding out hope we see Bernal back to his old self by July to add some spice to the competition.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, Powpow got *rolled* by a French kid in France. Kid did a great job of letting Powless be "the strongest guy in the break." Until it mattered.
Quote Reply

Prev Next