Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
likes_bikes wrote:
How about the UAE Women's Tour today? Longo Borghini and Realini lit that climb up and the 1-2 finish was spectacular as well. Realini is beyond tiny but kudos to her and the team for shepherding her through the more exposed portions of the race so she could light this climb up.

That was masterclass by Trek. Disaster by FDJ. I spent some time talking to the screen for those chasing groups to stop guttering each other.

ELB get the stage win? The other Trek kid could've used the win, right?
Were there important points at stake? I'm missing something....

The only thing I heard discussed potentially (and this was afterward) is the ELB has a financial clause in her contract for wins and Realini does not, so ELB winning gave a bigger prize for them to share.

Whether or not that is actually the reason, I don't know. ELB said the decision came from the car and she wanted Realini to win. I certainly think a stage ending in a 30 minute w/kg would have been quite a prize in and of itself for a young pure climber.

that doesn't make sense unless the riders are now splitting salaries, vs splitting prize money. ELB didn't get a bigger prize for the stage win than Realini would've gotten.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice lead out by Wellens. :)
Ineos took that over from UAE. Turner did look the grizzled vet. Those 2/3% grinders are great for the raw power guys.
Watching the tall kid Siriano get dropped from the break was painful. In the wind, trying to get back on. Ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
ELB didn't get a bigger prize for the stage win than Realini would've gotten.

I think the speculation is that say, ELB has a contract clause for like $5000 per GC win. Even if they're not splitting salary, it'd make some sense to help one of your big stars fulfill her contract bonuses. And ELB would be class enough to a huge chunk of the winnings to reward Realini.

Regardless, I've never seen ELB be anything other than pure class, so I'm sure it was a team car thing.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice win by Moschetti today; somewhere Nibali uncorked a bottle of Prosecco.

Tomorrow Taddy Po kicks off his season on the rocks in Spain. Will be interesting to see if he picks up where he left off in Italy last fall.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 12, 23 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i watched 2 replays of finishes last night. Turner's win looked like the run in had 4 180 turns and at least that many swerves around traffic furniture - if that is a standard 'safe' uphill finish - i wouldn't want to see a dangerous one. b/c of all that calamity it seemed like being in the top 10 at 1k to go was a must. Wellens's turn was massive. I guess with trentin and wellens its a coin toss for who should work for whom.
the smaller race won by quick step - pedersen in a headwind 13 rider split sprint - this is my question. why would EF not just attack the bejeezus out of that split with 4 of 13 and a flattish finish. i'd have to think sooner or later someone will leave too big of a gap. using 3 men for a leadout in a headwind super close sprint seems risky unless you have a super sprinter.
also looking forward to bernal and tadej
and still hoping maybe just maybe sagan and oss training in colombia might pay off this spring. i know 'fat' chance.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJ kicked to the W in Oman today—awesome to see him get his first pro victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TaddyPo facing a 5-on-1 and casually increasing time gap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
MJ kicked to the W in Oman today—awesome to see him get his first pro victory.

Time for Spring Classics Advent Calendar! Blah blah blah. You all know the rules. Set your tire pressures.

Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 13, 23 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 February 2023 is the real date I'm looking forward to.

I'm just tuning out the other stuff for now.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I respect the purity. Reminds me of a masters-crit teammate who refuses to race between Labor Day and Valentine's Day.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-PO hauling out the heavy lumber to lay wood. He didn't even look tired at finish.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Set tire pressure or condition the liver? Priorities...
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

I respect the purity. Reminds me of a masters-crit teammate who refuses to race between Labor Day and Valentine's Day.

Well, it doesn't quite help that the CX season is mostly over, too

I used to follow these pre-season races (really liked the echelon racing in the Arabian Peninsula crosswinds), but for whatever reason just can't get into them right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Set tire pressure or condition the liver? Priorities...

I just returned from New Orleans. Now time to check the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same. I was skiing all last week in Utah but the liver got a pretty good workout. Sick as a dog over weekend and haven't thrown a leg over in more than 8 days. Luckily bike racing will involve spectating and not actually pedaling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
T-PO hauling out the heavy lumber to lay wood. He didn't even look tired at finish.

Cool race. The Gilded Olive.

UAE with Hirschi looking better and Wellens still being Wellens has some one day firepower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He certainly does, and is an easy guy to root for.

Oliva Bianche is a very cool race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've looked through this long thread and I can't find anything about this but:

What's the best way to watch these in the USA?

FloBikes? Something else?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is "it depends." Smarter minds will chime in but I know some people use a VPN and Eurosport subscription, which pretty much gets you everything. I have Flo and GCN subscriptions, which are fairly reasonable all totaled (I'm fine paying to watch, as it generally supports actually having coverage). Sometimes Cycling Fans has links that'll work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I don't mind paying.

I just don't want to start paying for a service that is blocked to the US
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

If you don't mind paying, GCN, Flo, and Peacock TV are the 3 that combine to cover most cycling . Peacock doesn't have many events, but the ones they had last year were big. Paris-Roubaix, TdF, Vuelta, etc. Not sure yet about 2023 schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Better question. How much are you willing to pay?

The U.S. rights are balkanized between FloBikes, GCN, and NBC.

NBC is $5/ month, and it carries races promoted by ASO. Probably need it for 4-5 months/ year (Paris Nice, Roubaix, Liege, Dauphine, TdF, and Vuelta)

GCN U.S. has coverage of the RCS (Italian) races and some second tier Belgian classics (KBK, etc). $9/ month or $50/ yr. Has a lot of other top level races (European Champions and various World Tour classics).

Flo has presumably most of everything else (De Ronde and World Championship). $150/ yr for those.

VPN + GCN is about 30-40% of all that.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to add Peacock, do need that one.

Flo is really the site that has pricing out of whack. The rest are pretty reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Flo is really the site that has pricing out of whack. The rest are pretty reasonable.

I can't do Flo anymore. Too expensive and their coverage is sometimes awful. Between a VPN and tiz-cycling, I don't miss much.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tiz -- that was the one I was trying to remember.

I'm leaning more heavily into a VPN. Everything about Eurosport is just better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next