Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For that matter, nor has anyone else this year on DD other than Eddy Boss. He and Ben King own every appreciable win for past year, so might as well throw Cav in to get the talk time, as you noted.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. They have had a garbage go of it for awhile. If it weren't for King at the Vuelta last year it would be abominable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I think you are right about Cav. I think this will be his farewell tour.

Do you think Cav will be selected? He says his form is coming around, but it has not looked good. He fought time cut-offs at the ToC, and isn't at the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse.

I suspect he will out of respect though he hasn't shown any real reason for selection. I can't imagine him racing after this year. I appreciate and have always liked Cav, but I think it is time to bow out graciously.

Doesn't that team need to worry about not being relegated at year's end off the grand tour? that may cause them to rethink that. Or at least not try to build their team around him.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Doesn't that team need to worry about not being relegated at year's end off the grand tour? that may cause them to rethink that. Or at least not try to build their team around him.

Yeah, they're in a world of hurt. Currently the last-ranked World Tour team, and behind Conti teams Cofidis, Direct Energie, and Wanty-Gobert. I don't think that takes into account the Boss' recent point-scoring, but they still badly needs guys scoring points. On paper they have decent talent, not sure why they suck so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Yeah, they're in a world of hurt. Currently the last-ranked World Tour team, and behind Conti teams Cofidis, Direct Energie, and Wanty-Gobert. I don't think that takes into account the Boss' recent point-scoring, but they still badly needs guys scoring points. On paper they have decent talent, not sure why they suck so bad.

Could it just come down to signing riders with points for next year? I honestly have no idea how the points system works, but I just remember recently reading or hearing that one of the problems about this time of year is if teams are going to throw support for riders that might be leaving for another team. Since the points they earn will follow them to their new team. Not sure if it's true or not.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Rob Hayles gave a nice little dissertation on this during one of the later stages of the Giro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
haha Horner?

America's "most popular rider"? Send that dick head packing.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
haha Horner?

America's "most popular rider"? Send that dick head packing.

Sorry, it should be "dickhead" . Compound word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
My fiancee is from Roanne and her father said that he heard from other locals that the femur was broken and protruding out of the skin.

I suppose we won't know the real extent of all of this for a while.
velonews reported a fractured hip as well
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
The unknown for me is how his head came out of all this. Apparently he came to an immediate stop from 54km/h into the wall of a house. I would be majorly surprised if he doesn't at least have a severe concussion or more substantial trauma (subdural hematoma), which would qualify as "internal injuries", wouldn't it?

Also, were they reconning the TT stage, and if so, were they on TT bikes?

Agree on the head but thinking more mentally. Is he going to want to climb the mountain again.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Sorry, it should be "dickhead" . Compound word.

Dick head is actually a fairly good physical description as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:

Could it just come down to signing riders with points for next year?

I think it can, and I think that's part of the reason they picked up the podium finishers from last year's Amstel Gold race (Valgren, Kreuziger, Gasparatto), but *none* of those guys have been able to sniff the front end of a bike race since. And their team is old. Cummings is 38, Gasparatto is 37, Kreuziger 33, Cav 33, Renshaw 36, Eisel is 37. I mean Boasson Hagen is the *youngster* in that field of ancients. So they bought all these points right as guys stopped producing.

So, yeah, if I was the team owner I'd try to unload all those guys and like try to convince MdVP that the entire team will be built around him or something. Or figure out how to get the Astana version of Valgren back. (sigh).
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I was hoping they would do good in the Classics with Julien Vermote (they let him ride on the front of the peleton for hours at a time at Quickstep and when he rode for the Belgian National team at Euros or Worlds, big motor) and he went to DiDa because he could be one of the main guys for the Classics but hasn't performed anywhere near what he used to.. Same it seems for Valgren Andersson.. Wonder what's going on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

10. I miss Paul Sherwen. Class dude.

One of the main reasons I watch the tour is the excellent commentating.

Two questons:

1. Will they replace Paul? If yes, who might be his replacement?

2. If you could select commentators for the IMWC, who would you pick? I'm not entirely sure, but at least one of them would be Crowie.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jun 14, 19 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
McNulty wrote:

10. I miss Paul Sherwen. Class dude.

One of the main reasons I watch the tour is the excellent commentating.

Two questons:

1. Will they replace Paul? If yes, who might be his replacement?

2. If you could select commentators for the IMWC, who would you pick? I'm not entirely sure, but at least one of them would be Crowie.

No disrespect to Paul as a person...may he RIP. But Phil and Paul are absolutely horrible to listen to in their actual analysis of the bike race. Old time stories, history, descriptions of the towns they're rolling through were pretty good though.

Not sure why anyone would want triathletes to commentate on a bike race. The Eurosport broadcasts and the guys who do the Fubu/Flo bikes broadcasts are pretty good as far as actual bike race analysis and coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Ligget, Sherwen, Roll, Vande Valde play off each other really well. But I probably don't know as much about pro cycling as you do Jason (I'm being serious).

I was asking who you would want as commentators on the IMWC (Ironman World Championship). Relative to the TdF, I think the ironman commentators pale in comparison.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlton Kirby and Rob Hatch on Eurosport. Great duo. Keenan and Robbie McEwan are pretty good on NBC Gold app too.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Carlton Kirby and Rob Hatch on Eurosport. Great duo. Keenan and Robbie McEwan are pretty good on NBC Gold app too.

Rob Hales on Flobikes feed is good. Funny, low key, dry. Not shy about calling guys out in a matter of fact way.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Will they replace Paul? If yes, who might be his replacement?

At the Tour of California, NBC Sports used Phil, Bobke and CVV in the booth, with Steve Porino on the moto, and Jensie floating around someplace, for some reason

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've followed pro cycling fairly closely over the past 40 years but here's one question I have. Why didn't the Astana team change their name to Nur-Sultan when in March the city of Astana changed their name to Nur-Sultan?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about young Remco in Belgium? Monuments on the way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

They are very good, i also think Sean Kelly is great when he hops on as well. Matt Stephens might be the future for Eurosport, he is really good. Brain smith also comes to mind as a good commentator. Basically, everybody at Eurosport is hands down better than the Phil/Paul combo.

I also think Magnus Backstedt has been doing some commentating if i am not mistaken this season. If it is he who i am thinking about he had a lot of insight.

side note: Sagan looked hungry today, he really pushed hard in the TT and seemed to be motivated. I know it's a small thing but i suspect he is going to have a baller last half of the season.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jun 15, 19 21:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with most everything you posted. Bonus points for some Sagan baller action (even if my countryman Sam is a killer right now)
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

They are very good, i also think Sean Kelly is great when he hops on as well. Matt Stephens might be the future for Eurosport, he is really good. Brain smith also comes to mind as a good commentator. Basically, everybody at Eurosport is hands down better than the Phil/Paul combo.

I also think Magnus Backstedt has been doing some commentating if i am not mistaken this season. If it is he who i am thinking about he had a lot of insight.

He certainly has. Perhaps my favorite of the lot. Cogent comments, ability to spot the small details, etc. Personally thinks he's better than Sean "torty" Kelly

Quote:

side note: Sagan looked hungry today, he really pushed hard in the TT and seemed to be motivated. I know it's a small thing but i suspect he is going to have a baller last half of the season.

you mean he slimmed down a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, good ride for Sagan yesterday and should be some happy hunting today. Hopefully he’s back in it. Still wonder if he was too ambitious trying to race from MSR to LBL.

Yates abandoned the Dauphiné? Number of Tour contenders seem to be struggling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next