Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. The only injury of significance here is the femur. Broken ribs elbow and internals all heal within 2 months with no issues. The femur fracture was a compound fracture which although has a higher chance of infection is actually decent news because it means it’s the shaft that’s broken and not the head (unless he has both).
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The unknown for me is how his head came out of all this. Apparently he came to an immediate stop from 54km/h into the wall of a house. I would be majorly surprised if he doesn't at least have a severe concussion or more substantial trauma (subdural hematoma), which would qualify as "internal injuries", wouldn't it?

Also, were they reconning the TT stage, and if so, were they on TT bikes?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

From the Cycling News article linked a few posts up, yes:

"The Irishman was just twenty metres behind the Team Ineos vehicle that was following Froome and Wout Poels during the recon of Wednesday's Dauphiné time trial. Martin was studying the time trail course from the UAE Team Emirates team car"

No mention of whether they were on TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s possible but I think when they say internal injuries, they mean lung contusion, liver or splenic lacs, pelvic hematoma. I would guess that if he had a brain injury, they would announce that instead of internal injuries. But you’re right, if he has a TBI, then we will have to wait and see the severity of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty amazing that the day after such a horrific accident and 8 hours of surgery that he was able to win another Grand Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...011-vuelta-a-espana/

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also saying possible broken pelvis, and potentially add'l surgeries.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused as to why JJ Cobo is just now being suspended for issues a decade ago with his biological passport. Weird.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

From the Cycling News article linked a few posts up, yes:

"The Irishman was just twenty metres behind the Team Ineos vehicle that was following Froome and Wout Poels during the recon of Wednesday's Dauphiné time trial. Martin was studying the time trail course from the UAE Team Emirates team car"

No mention of whether they were on TT bikes.

I heard on the broadcast that he was in aero position (thus on a TT bike), took one hand off the bars to wipe his nose and the gust of wind took him down. That was the description by NBC broadcaster, could be just what he heard.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the 2011 Vuelta. The UCI announced on Thursday that its Anti-Doping Tribunal found Cobo "guilty of an anti-doping rule violation (Use of a prohibited substance) based on abnormalities from 2009 and 2011 detected in his Biological Passport and imposed a three-year period of ineligibility on the rider."

Wonder if this wiggled out of Puerto or one of those long-running investigations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
The unknown for me is how his head came out of all this. Apparently he came to an immediate stop from 54km/h into the wall of a house. I would be majorly surprised if he doesn't at least have a severe concussion or more substantial trauma (subdural hematoma), which would qualify as "internal injuries", wouldn't it?

He might not have been concussed, but you gotta have some PTSD after slamming into a fucking house at full speed

And we're not talking some nice American house, with flexy vinyl siding and plywood skin underneath, which is going to give forgivingly. We're talking some 100- or 200-year old French farmhouse, most likely, with stone & mortar & plaster; basically a cement wall

I dvr'd yesterday's stage [the TT, which they were reconning when the crash happened] and I wonder if they're gonna say where the crash was?

Richard Blaine wrote:

I'm guessing so

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ne-crash-in-my-head/

Quote:
What we now know is that Froome took a hand off his time trial bars...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jun 13, 19 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It was the 2011 Vuelta. The UCI announced on Thursday that its Anti-Doping Tribunal found Cobo "guilty of an anti-doping rule violation (Use of a prohibited substance) based on abnormalities from 2009 and 2011 detected in his Biological Passport and imposed a three-year period of ineligibility on the rider."

Wonder if this wiggled out of Puerto or one of those long-running investigations?

I wonder which other Vuelta winners are really nervous today about having their "titles" taken away.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I wonder which other Vuelta winners are really nervous today about having their "titles" taken away.

I’m thinking of a number btwn 1-20 :p
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking rider #15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha Horner?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I'm thinking rider #15

That's the one.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see we are all on the same wavelength

I do wonder if they’ll finally reveal who rider 15 is.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

------------

Can Bernal TT? It seems the 2nd stage will have GT put what 1:40+ into Bernal to begin with before getting into the mountains.

In a Team TT? GT won't put any time onto Bernal on stage 2.

Stage 6 in the mountains will set the stage first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I think you are right about Cav. I think this will be his farewell tour.

Do you think Cav will be selected? He says his form is coming around, but it has not looked good. He fought time cut-offs at the ToC, and isn't at the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh, one of the cycling sights but it as a itt, not TTT.

So yeah they'll be on same time assuming no mechanicals.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Do you think Cav will be selected? He says his form is coming around, but it has not looked good. He fought time cut-offs at the ToC, and isn't at the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse.

If he wants to ride, he should be selected. The commentators will always spend time talking about Cav, notating his position, even if he's not legitimately in contention to win a sprint stage. And when the mountains hit, and he's struggling off the back, there will be a moto following him with a camera, and the commentators will again talk about his guts, previous glory, etc. All good things for the sponsors. And even if he eventually misses the time cut and is eliminated. It will be a story written about.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I suspect he will out of respect though he hasn't shown any real reason for selection. I can't imagine him racing after this year. I appreciate and have always liked Cav, but I think it is time to bow out graciously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Damn Wout van Aert is slaying.

While he enjoys his MdVP-free period. :)
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol poor Wout. Imagine being that good and playing second fiddle to a monster like Mathieu.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
Predictions!

Thomas wins the maillot jaune, Yates 2nd, Dumoulin 3rd
Sagan green jersey, Cav 2nd, Demare 3rd
Egan bernal white jersey
Polka dot - Alaphilipe

Brave of you. Ok I'll play with mine.

Thomas wins GC. Maybe Yates or Dumoulin on podium; yet it's hard for me to think both. I'd like Bardet on the podium.
Alaphilipe green jersey. Cloud over Sagan this year(divorce/crash in TdeF last year) maybe podium. Cav is cursed for getting Sagan kicked out of TdeF. Last spot would be a pick'em from the younger sprinters coming up.
No disagreement on Bernal in white.
Polka dot - Thomas de Gendt - no not really; yet the polka dot has been someone who scored early points in a breakaway and then road with the GCs to defend. So polka dot would be the hardest for me to predict.

PS very sad about Froome.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiancee is from Roanne and her father said that he heard from other locals that the femur was broken and protruding out of the skin.

I suppose we won't know the real extent of all of this for a while.
Quote Reply

Prev Next