Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well that makes sense, but don't believe he has been going well before TT
maybe he's just rounding into form

will be interested to see if Bernal can really be that guy
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless he dopes to his eyeballs like Horndog it's a bit of a reach to presume he'll be fine at age 35. Especially coming off an injury, with teammates like GT and Bernal nipping at heels. The list is long of guys that age or younger who haven't been able to-- Lance, Contador, Nibali and even the aforementioned Valverde. He won the Giro on a hail mary last year and TD was stronger at the Tour. Could have been a one-off trying to manage the double but he never looked like the world beater he has been.

Like you said, he has managed fatigue better than anyone but that doesn't mean time won't catch up.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 12, 19 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
H- wrote:

What active rider has show more panache than Froome on Stage 19 of 2018 Giro?

Dumoulin. The guy has loads of panache. At times he is is literally overflowing with panache and has to stop to leave some by the roadside. I'm referring to Stage 16 of the 2017 Giro of course.

Chapeau haha
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
altissimotri wrote:
thickasabrick51 wrote:
Froome is 34 I think. If what is being reported is true, I suspect that will be the end of his career. He'd be trying for a GT comeback at 36...

Yep, he shouldn't have tried to get fancy with the Giro-Tour double until after he won his 5th Tour. This year was his last chance for #5 in my opinion.

I don’t agree with this. He is under contract thru 2020 and he will be fine next year if stays healthy, heals ok. Grand tour all about fighting fatigue, and he is the best at that right now, as well as his awesome team. He will be 35 then, and he will be fine.

Yeah, but when was the last time anyone 35 or older won the Tour de France? I don't think it's happened since before WW2. I know Chris Horner won the Vuelta, but that's not the tour.

When talking about Froome's Panache, don't forget the time he ran up the Ventoux!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

I don’t agree with this. He is under contract thru 2020 and he will be fine next year if stays healthy, heals ok. Grand tour all about fighting fatigue, and he is the best at that right now, as well as his awesome team. He will be 35 then, and he will be fine.

It all depends on the nature of the break. The range is months to years.

I do hope he returns so his exit is courtesy of being smacked down by next generation of GC contenders, not because he went into a wall at 35MPH.

I actually thought he would take it again this year with it being his sole focus even though I still wanted to see G and Bernal get protected too. We will see the latter half of this played out I believe and that should be pretty ace.

next time you refer to Thomas as "G", you get one point taken off for each offense in next year's Spring Classic Pick'em :p
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Predictions!

Thomas wins the maillot jaune, Yates 2nd, Dumoulin 3rd
Sagan green jersey, Cav 2nd, Demare 3rd
Egan bernal white jersey
Polka dot - Alaphilipe

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
Predictions!

Thomas wins the maillot jaune, Yates 2nd, Dumoulin 3rd
Egan bernal white jersey
Polka dot - Alaphilipe

Cav 2nd? I hope you're right, but did you watch the Tour of California?

Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

------

After seeing Cav race in ToC, I think the world of cycling would rejoice with him finishing 2nd behind Sagan for green. I've not paid attention to Cav since then, but damn he looked just out of it completely in ToC.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cav doesn't make it through week 2. I'd love to be wrong. If he got a stage it would be very cool and maybe a swan song. He's still a big draw, like Elvis in the later years...

Froome- bummer. Panache, yes. Elegance, no. But I was already getting worked up at the thought of last year's champ from Wales, GERAINT working for him. This saves me a lot of wtf wtf wtf per last year. That was such bs. Still clearly not over it.....gimme a drink.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I understand the love for Bernal, but he only has one Grand Tour under his belt. He is heir apparent, but has yet to show he is ready. In true Sky fashion, he needs to be a super domestique for his leader and ride away from said leader on one stage only to be called back shaking his head. Only then will he get the call.

I get what you're saying. Thomas has more experience. Thomas has won a grand tour. Thomas has "put in his time" as a domestique by what seems to be the Sky/Ineos way.

But the reason Sky has been relatively easy to manage in terms of team leadership is because Froome was just on another level than his domestiques. He let the road decide the pecking order and would build up multiple minute leads over his domestiques. When the last lieutenant dropped the hammer with 5-6 km to go, Froome would come around at 2-3 km and go ape shit at 120 rpms because he was that good...and good over 3 weeks. Sure, he's had his down points where his lieutenant had to drop back, but only after he had demonstrated his dominance and built up a lead worth protecting.

With Thomas, I'm not sure he can do that over Bernal. If Bernal goes to the front with 5 km to go and drops the hammer for Thomas, he might just put Thomas on the rivet with nothing left to attack. If Thomas is good enough to attack off of Bernal's tempo, then by all means...ride for Thomas. I just think Thomas and Bernal are too close (assuming both are on form) for it to be that easy to determine pecking order just because Brailsford says so. I believe the road will decide it, and Bernal will be thinking of himself until the time gaps say otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Thomas, I'm not sure he can do that over Bernal. If Bernal goes to the front with 5 km to go and drops the hammer for Thomas, he might just put Thomas on the rivet with nothing left to attack. If Thomas is good enough to attack off of Bernal's tempo, then by all means...ride for Thomas. I just think Thomas and Bernal are too close (assuming both are on form) for it to be that easy to determine pecking order just because Brailsford says so. I believe the road will decide it, and Bernal will be thinking of himself until the time gaps say otherwise.

------------

Can Bernal TT? It seems the 2nd stage will have GT put what 1:40+ into Bernal to begin with before getting into the mountains.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

It all depends on the nature of the break. The range is months to years.

I do hope he returns so his exit is courtesy of being smacked down by next generation of GC contenders, not because he went into a wall at 35MPH.

I actually thought he would take it again this year with it being his sole focus even though I still wanted to see G and Bernal get protected too. We will see the latter half of this played out I believe and that should be pretty ace.

next time you refer to Thomas as "G", you get one point taken off for each offense in next year's Spring Classic Pick'em :p

;) you knob!

I'm not sure Froome ever races again. All of the outlets here are reporting a hip fracture as well now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read 8 hours of surgery? He must be really busted up. Hope he heals well, not just for bike racing but getting back to normal life.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Truly a horrific crash. The tele report this morning suggested internal damage as well though it was unspecified. I hope he recovers well.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Thomas proofed last year he can hang with the best in the mountains and he’s been healthy and focused on the Tour all year, unlike Bernal. Bernal will have his time, but I think Ineos wants Thomas to win the Tour with Froome out, British sponsor British rider (Wales).

As for a previous post, I wish Cav would win one more but his time is over to much talent at the top. He will be lucky to be top 5 in a stage, sad but true.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right about Cav. I think this will be his farewell tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Agreed. Truly a horrific crash. The tele report this morning suggested internal damage as well though it was unspecified. I hope he recovers well.

Carl Spackler wrote:
Just read 8 hours of surgery? He must be really busted up. Hope he heals well, not just for bike racing but getting back to normal life.

and apparently in the ICU

that just sounds horrific
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Carl Spackler wrote:

oh man.....what a rough game.......hope he can carry on fully, forget about racing
Last edited by: McNulty: Jun 13, 19 7:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Carl Spackler wrote:

Holy shit!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ne-crash-in-my-head/

Quote:
What we now know is that Froome took a hand off his time trial bars in order to clear his nose. As he did a strong gust of wind took out his front wheel and at high speed, he lost control and slammed into a wall of a house. He was on the ground for several hours as he received emergency medical treatment before being airlifted to hospital. He underwent eight hours of surgery during Wednesday night and remains in intensive care. He was left with internal injuries, a fractured right elbow, a compound fractured right femur and several fractured ribs.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of those injuries are career ending. He should heal fine.
I saw this same exact thing happen at IMFL. It was a cold and windy day. There was a stretch where we had crosswind left to right but the trees were guarding us from the wind on the left. Any time there was a gap in the trees though, there was a strong gust. I passed a girl as she was taking a sip and gust just took her off the road along with another person.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Wout van Aert is slaying.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess technically he's under contract for what 2 years still, but I have to think with the intensity and severity of the injuries, you don't come back from this. Hip, femur and elbow and internal injuries. That's a LOOONG road ahead of him and he's an aging athlete. So I'm sure he'll most certainly be able to "come back" and ride his bike. But to anywhere even close to that level; no chance.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People keep saying that without knowing the full extent. Imagine he’s looking at close to a year to potentially be full strength from what has been disclosed. So that doesn’t seem like a certainty to me. Who knows if he’ll even want to take the risk again?
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I guess technically he's under contract for what 2 years still, but I have to think with the intensity and severity of the injuries, you don't come back from this. Hip, femur and elbow and internal injuries. That's a LOOONG road ahead of him and he's an aging athlete. So I'm sure he'll most certainly be able to "come back" and ride his bike. But to anywhere even close to that level; no chance.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only slaying but laying waste. Beating TD in TT and likes of Ala and Bennett in messy sprint? The Dawgs are on the loose
Quote Reply

Prev Next