Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Van Aert is not doing worlds, they can't convince him for now to do it. He wants time to build back for CX after TdF instead of doing worlds. The way he's been performing during the Tour might change that in the near future though..
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Jul 16, 19 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that Jumbo has a lot of potential but they don't yet push all their power in the same direction (chase one goal and commit to it).

Ineos is there with only one single goal: bring yellow to Paris. Everyone on the team knows what to do and is comitted to that goal. No sprints, no stage hunting, no breakaways.

Jumbo is not there with their GC A-team. They have Kruijswijk and Bennet but they also have sprinters and classic guys. Not every team can afford to only focus on GC. Ineos can and does because it's there speciality. Jumbo would need to bring Roglic and some more mountain domestiques in if it was their sole priority and commit to one leader and a back up. But this is obviously not how they want to ride this tour and they had other goals with the giro and stuff. And it is totally fine.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the most disappointing team is Movistar who have the budget and riders, have the focus on GC, have been at it for years and still seem to be unable to make it count at the Tour.

Agreed.

Quote:
then they had half the team fighting a losing battle for Landa (and even if they'd got back into the second group they couldn't have worked as by doing so they would be pulling other GC riders back to Quintana).

Yeah, that was curious. They did succeed in bringing Landa closer to those other GC riders, but at what cost and for what, a top ten chance for Landa?

But gottta give Movi a pass for losing Landa. Landa was in the front group but Barguil knocked him out of it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did just hear that Landa crashed at the worst possible moment yesterday, just as the split happened (and possibly with contact from Alaphilippe as he kicked it all off), so seems I may have been a bit harsh on Movistar and there were some mitigating circumstances!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I agree that Jumbo has a lot of potential but they don't yet push all their power in the same direction (chase one goal and commit to it).

Ineos is there with only one single goal: bring yellow to Paris. Everyone on the team knows what to do and is comitted to that goal. No sprints, no stage hunting, no breakaways.

Jumbo is not there with their GC A-team. They have Kruijswijk and Bennet but they also have sprinters and classic guys. Not every team can afford to only focus on GC. Ineos can and does because it's there speciality. Jumbo would need to bring Roglic and some more mountain domestiques in if it was their sole priority and commit to one leader and a back up. But this is obviously not how they want to ride this tour and they had other goals with the giro and stuff. And it is totally fine.

This might explain their success (along with DQs, while Ineos says/denies using it). Doesn't seem like all of the teams are using it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...used-at-jumbo-visma/

On one hand, I applaud their openness about using Ketone supplements. We do wonder how exceptional results happen. Sounds like the product is a legal "food/drink" that we too can buy. The good stuff is pretty pricey though.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That external Keton thing is an interesting topic. But I believe that if they really work, even randomly, every team is using them. Even if they are denying it.

(I also heard Dan Lorang of Bora - who happens to be Frodenos coach - talk about it. I wonder if Frodeno is using that)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
That external Keton thing is an interesting topic. But I believe that if they really work, even randomly, every team is using them. Even if they are denying it.

(I also heard Dan Lorang of Bora - who happens to be Frodenos coach - talk about it. I wonder if Frodeno is using that)

Apart from sport, if the ketone supplements can help a person like a keto diet can, that could be good for the public.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:

I wonder what the total cost would be for a team to use it. From what I read, the stuff ain't cheap. Like $30 per bottle. I have no idea how much is expected to be consumed before/during/after a stage/race in order to have maximum effectiveness, but I can see how costs could be very high for something they may not be completely sure works. Teams with huge budgets may have more leeway to experiment and accept it if there is just a placebo effect...other teams maybe not so much, or at least not for every rider all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly. I'm no doctor but I can also imagine potential side effects. From what I know Ketones are only produced when there are basically no carbs left. I don't know what happens when you burn carbs AND use external Ketone fuel. And if it matters if you are pushing 400 watts or sitting on the couch. The body is a complex system and it is not sound to mess with stuff that influence hormones etc. I guess they need further studying. That's also the reason why they are not banned yet. But it's interesting indeed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not read the article but watched some interviews with the Jumbo-Visma staff and they use it during the race to try to burn fats as much as possible, since they first 150-200k of a 250k race is just sitting in the pack and relatively low intensity. This leaves their riders with enough carbohydrates and thus energy at the end of a stage/race. DQS are not as talkative about it, but some teams seem to use it more for recovery after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I wonder what the total cost would be for a team to use it.

You would think the manufacturers will give it to them if they can associate their name tp the team.

I predict a whole flurry of BS products coming.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched every minute of coverage, but this is the first time I have seen Lance brought in as a commentator. Have they had him on before so far this year, and is anyone else a bit surprised NBC had him on?
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing win by Calen. Efen more amazing ride by Wout (obviously a different team). What a beast.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgoehner wrote:
I haven't watched every minute of coverage, but this is the first time I have seen Lance brought in as a commentator. Have they had him on before so far this year, and is anyone else a bit surprised NBC had him on?

It was only last year that they were allowed to even say his name

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I can never like Skineos if the Keton drinks work, and Jumbo and QS are using it then I am 100% sure that Ineos is using it and were likely the first team to use, but instead they just go about lying, like they have been doing since day one.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting stage tomorrow. Probably one for the breakaway and mountain points. I think a lot of the GC teams will play it conservatively as the 30 km gradual downhill into the finish likely won't let any attacks stick. But the climbs are just big enough and steep enough to expose someone on a bad day...so you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
This is why I can never like Skineos if the Keton drinks work, and Jumbo and QS are using it then I am 100% sure that Ineos is using it and were likely the first team to use, but instead they just go about lying, like they have been doing since day one.

What are you even talking about. Sky last year in the Giro credited it as a key fuel in Froome's epic stage win to win the Giro.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well before you jump down my throat you should read the thread, I was "even talking about" just responding to IT who posted above that Ineos denies using it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Well before you jump down my throat you should read the thread, I was "even talking about" just responding to IT who posted above that Ineos denies using it.

Before you jump down Sky/Ineos' throat and imply they are liars...maybe you should read the linked article. Just sayin...

A denial of use 4 years ago doesn't mean they can't change their mind later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I will totally stand by that statement, no problem, I was wrong about them denying Ketone use, but they have lied so much they are pretty much the definition of liars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General question from a noob cycling fan: Does Sagan win the green every year because all other sprinters just give up like Matthews apparently has? Does Elia really stand a chance at standing up against Sagan through to the end?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
General question from a noob cycling fan: Does Sagan win the green every year because all other sprinters just give up like Matthews apparently has? Does Elia really stand a chance at standing up against Sagan through to the end?

First of all, the important thing to remember is that the Green Jersey is a points competition, not necessarily a "sprinter's competition" even though it is generally contested by sprinters. That's the first misconception most people make. Once you understand how points are given out, then it becomes clear that you don't have to be the fastest sprinter to accumulate a lot of points if you are consistently racking them up on as many stages as possible. Both during the intermediate "sprint point" and the finish line.

Sagan is a generational talent. He is so well rounded, it's mind blowing.
  • He has the sprinting speed to win on a variety of different stages, and even when he the stage does not favor his style, or he's not on his best day, he uses his instincts and positioning to still finish in the top 3-5.
  • He also has a pretty good ability to climb so he can be there at the finish of semi hilly stages where other sprinters get dropped from the lead pack and he can scoop up a lot of points where few other sprinters can.
  • He will also go into the breakaway on some mountain stages to scoop up maximum intermediate points before dropping back and cruising to the finish.
  • He has the overall engine, where over 3 weeks, he can keep making efforts to scoop up all these points without fading or worrying about the time cuts on big mountain stages. I think this is an often overlooked advantage Sagan has. You'll see a lot of sprinters having to be conservative at intermediate sprint points, or stages that "might" not favor them because they know they need to save some energy for the mountains and avoid being time cut before Paris. Sagan is never in this type of danger...not because he's a great sprinter, but because he's just a great rider.

Sagan really has redefined the Green Jersey competition. The ASO has even changed the structure of the points system as not to favor Sagan as much as it did before...but it still doesn't matter. Other riders could adopt the exact same strategy...they just aren't good enough to pull it off. Wout van Aert and MVDP do show some similar potential though. So from the perspective of Viviani, Matthews, Groenwegen, etc...they are somewhat resigned to knowing that they have no chance at green (unless Sagan gets kicked out or crashes out) so they are better off just picking their spots for stage wins that favor their style specifically.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jul 17, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the detail! Right, will be mindful about calling it a sprinter's jersey. Guess I will hold out hope that Wout in the future goes for green and mvdp when he steps up as right now, the green domination isn't much different from Ineos's yellow domination

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgoehner wrote:

I'm surprised and think it's a bad look. So the TdeF bans Lance and Lance can't be on site; yet, one of the official broadcasters has Lance on for commentary.

I don't think the general public is on board with his return. He didn't just betray cyclists. He betrayed cancer victims/families with his phony story and cancer foundation to raise "awareness". Damn it. We know there's cancer and there's doping in cycling. Thank you Lance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:

Just another day at the office as Ineos is apt to say this year.

Quote Reply

Prev Next