Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
The “final breakaway” or something like that. Love seeing that stuff, shows how much they simply like to ride their bikes.

Thought you might have abandon this thread, welcome back.

thanks

moved halfway across the country to Berkeley Midwest, aka Madison. holy crap there are so many cyclists and cycling infrastructure here

Madtown is great, but not MABRA. Glad you're still around to correct my inaccuracies.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
De Ghent is a baaaaaad man. What a ride.

Ineos' whole raisin detter is the TdF and it shows.

EF is doing great for a team that was a tire change away from disappearing a year ago.

Tejay's problem is the old "great white hope" thing that Americans do. He has been over hyped, followed by semi knowledgeable American fans who oftentimes do not appreciate what he can do and has done in the face of what he doesn't do. Hell, the Washington Post ran an article early on about Joe D being the next Lance. Huh? It's just a lack of understanding about the game, mostly. Then there are the haters who hate for hate's sake.
And, his mentality is not one of a super dom, which is regrettable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol did they really? Joe D is a great rider, but not a GT winner
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
after the way de gendt (and wellens) have ridden in the breaks so far this tour - ain't nobody gonna wanna join dem on their end o season bike-venture. maybe instead of strava koms there could be a new category like cumulative time you were able to hang on their wheels (bonus points for teuns/ciccone for dropping one and then both (but deductions for not getting back off the front 2 days later like a real rider)).
what a stage, what a ride by de gendt, pinot showing maybe lombardia win is something he can do more often.
who will be setting the infernal tempo when (if?) alaphillipe finally cracks? poels? lutsenko? gaudu?
i bet there is a huge grupetto early tomorrow and most just praying for the rest day.

In case people don't know the story of their end of season bike adventure, it is a 1000km 4 day "self supported breakaway" from the Tour of Lombardy back to Belgium, via the Swiss Alps, Jura, Vosges and then via Luxembourg to Belgium.

Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot of horsepower in break and a considerable leash.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. They hopefully stay away!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Oss’ job has never been to lead Sagan out. Nibali’s team doesn’t suppose to him? Do yourself a favor and start watching more bike races than TdF.

Well I don't get to watch as many races as I would like. It seems like Peter and Oss ride the Classics together too. Did I misuse the term "lead out" Carl?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
listening to Robbie McEwen...…...I disagree with him often because of course I know more abut what's going on than he does and I think Ben King could outsprint Terpstra, as can many people...….but I like his candor...….didn't like his book much as it was a more about me kind of thing and I wasn't really that interested in him but the part where he takes a dump while staying on the bike was pretty great...…..mad skills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Lot of horsepower in break and a considerable leash.

I think they let it go and I'm going with Si Clarke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, it’d take a huge effort to bring it back, no real GC threats in there. Gonna go with Benoot or Roche.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Agreed, it’d take a huge effort to bring it back, no real GC threats in there. Gonna go with Benoot or Roche.

They all think they can win and they all wanted T Martin to drag Postlberger back and he wasn't going to do squadoosh.
Not a good mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ggeiger wrote:
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
The “final breakaway” or something like that. Love seeing that stuff, shows how much they simply like to ride their bikes.

thanks

moved halfway across the country to Berkeley Midwest, aka Madison. holy crap there are so many cyclists and cycling infrastructure here

Welcome! When the weather's nice the riding here is pretty amazing. Hope you're finding plenty of rides to join in....

thanks (and thanks for chiming in on the other thread). It's a bit hot right now for my liking, but i'm hoping to do CamRock on Thursday

We might actually bump into you, as My partner and I are actually going into Playtri West to do some fitting related work.

McNulty wrote:
listening to Robbie McEwen...…...I disagree with him often because of course I know more abut what's going on than he does and I think Ben King could outsprint Terpstra, as can many people...….but I like his candor...….didn't like his book much as it was a more about me kind of thing and I wasn't really that interested in him but the part where he takes a dump while staying on the bike was pretty great...…..mad skills

including a semi-knackered Stannard. Terpstra is somewhat fascinating in that one'd expect more sharp speed from him, given his annual participation on the track (and doing the Madison, no less). Perhaps he's just a poor man's Wiggo (not that 1x Roubaix + 1x RvV should be scoffed at)

McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

thanks

Madtown is great, but not MABRA. Glad you're still around to correct my inaccuracies.

haha, it took moving away for me to understand how special Mabraland is. THat said, I don't miss the humidity one bit :)

and don't sell yourself short, lots and lots of sharp analyses from you over the years (such as observation of Terpstra and McEwen above)
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 14, 19 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changing the subject slightly, disappointing rumor of Carapaz to Ineos. I don't know how Ineos is going to keep 4 A-list Grand Tour riders happy when there's only 3 Grand Tours per year. Maybe they have doubts about Froome making it back.

Though I guess money makes people happy.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 14, 19 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is disappointing, surprising that Movistar wouldn’t make him a big offer. Ineos looks to have already reloaded for near future along with Bernal, Sivakov and Sosa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas is 33, Froome is 34, and at this stage of their careers I think they only care about the Tour, and will likely be retired or over the hill within a season or two even if Froome does make it back. Bernal and Carapaz will get plenty of chances. Probably more of a worry for Ineos' young riders like Geoghegan Hart and Sivakov.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Thomas is 33, Froome is 34, and at this stage of their careers I think they only care about the Tour, and will likely be retired or over the hill within a season or two even if Froome does make it back. Bernal and Carapaz will get plenty of chances. Probably more of a worry for Ineos' young riders like Geoghegan Hart and Sivakov.

Yeah, I hear you. But Carapaz and Bernal are ready to win now. Or at least Carapaz clearly is and Bernal looks the part so far. And by appearances Froome and Thomas aren't ready to take a mentoring back seat just yet. So there'll be a tense year or two of "badger slaying" before a true changing of the guard. It'll be entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That is disappointing, surprising that Movistar wouldn’t make him a big offer. Ineos looks to have already reloaded for near future along with Bernal, Sivakov and Sosa.

indeed; though perhaps Carapaz is wondering when he might be able to leap Quintana on the pecking order and wanted greener pastures

you are certainly right that Ineos is vacuuming up the young talents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to do your homework before you @ Phill Liggett

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

indeed; though perhaps Carapaz is wondering when he might be able to leap Quintana on the pecking order and wanted greener pastures

Quintana is going to Arkea-Samsic and Landa to Bahrain-Merida (those aren't finalized yet, but seem pretty solid).

So Carapaz was set to the *the guy* at Movistar. Right after the Giro he was reported to be going to Ineos for ~$1.5M. Then he rejected Ineos. Now he's apparently un-rejected Ineos. So the pot was likely sweetened one way or another.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 14, 19 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from financial bounty could some of the lure for Carapaz might be not having to face Bernal at certain races? Eg Bernal goes for TdF and Carapaz the Giro and/or Vuelta. In a way he’d eliminate some competition.

That said, it still hard to understand how Movistar couldn’t match the offer with Landa and Quintana moving on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it too soon to wonder if Alaphillipe can hold on to the Yellow Jersey through the ITT on Friday?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Quintana is going to Arkea-Samsic and Landa to Bahrain-Merida (those aren't finalized yet, but seem pretty solid).

So Carapaz was set to the *the guy* at Movistar. Right after the Giro he was reported to be going to Ineos for ~$1.5M. Then he rejected Ineos. Now he's apparently un-rejected Ineos. So the pot was likely sweetened one way or another.

that team is turning into the MLS of cycling: retirement home for the washed ups and have-beens

how can they afford to pay Quintana's wages anyway? better question, who's gonna support Quintana in the mountains?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek and EF so bad right now

Edit: add FDJ to the list
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jul 15, 19 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was just about to come and post the same thing. Got to keep your GC guy near the front and out of trouble, otherwise this is what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is some serious wattage cottage time right here
Quote Reply

Prev Next