Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember much of an outrage about Millar, but good points with regards to the Germans and French. I think we are in between the French view and the Italian/Spanish view. Doping really hurt cycling as a sport in Germany for a good while though I don't recall specific outrage toward those who admitted doping. The French are certainly staunchly anti doping it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the French I do think their anti doping stance is partly driven by the fact that the EPO era coincided with the decline in French cycling. They dislike US Postal and Sky/Ineos at least as much for the fact that they're English-speaking winners at a time when there hasn't been a French TdF winner since Hinault as for any doping (or perceived doping in the case of Sky).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
McNulty wrote:
IT wrote:
You are right about NBC. I record their broadcast to skip the commercials, etc.. Don't think I could take the same commercials over and over for three weeks. Have not tried their extra shows after the day's race.

I go with the commercial free feed online and its 2 Brit announcers, I forget who. They're good. I guess Bobke and Phil are on the commercial feed? I do see the prerace stuff with Former Doper Very Good Hair Guy and Former Doper Bald Guy. It's not bad......

Pretty sure you are referring to the Aussie duo of Keenan and McEwen. I've listened to them a few times when travelling. Pretty good.

How about Bernal being awarded 5 seconds over Thomas? That was generous. It looked to me as though Thomas sat up and came in a bike length behind. I could see maybe 1 second, but 5 was just a bit odd.

It’s counted back from the time of the group in front, which is established by the first person of that group to cross the line not the split per se.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
With the French I do think their anti doping stance is partly driven by the fact that the EPO era coincided with the decline in French cycling. They dislike US Postal and Sky/Ineos at least as much for the fact that they're English-speaking winners at a time when there hasn't been a French TdF winner since Hinault as for any doping (or perceived doping in the case of Sky).

Arguably the decline in French cycling was because of the tougher testing of French riders.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As well as their willingness to criminalize doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was awkward. A blast back to the doping past.

NBC highlighted Lance today. When Lance said hello to "Phil and Paul", that set the tone. Bob also asked a question "How do you like the TdeF?"while Armstrong was in Colorado. The broadcast delay caused more awkward pauses. There is a reason that Lance is not in France. Broadcasting Lance day after day is awkward for the Tour and NBC.

That Christian VdeV was part of Lance's crew does not help him. The two Steve's were good. Horner was good.

NBC's coverage stepped on the race today. You want to be good. You don't want your announcers and guests to overtake the race though.

Tejay did better today with a tshirt on during the massage and good answers to serious questions. Sagan's segment was a little weaker today - drink a beer to pee for the doping control. Ouch, NBC.

Thankfully DQ is animating the race more than Ineos, so far. Alaphillipe in yellow may seriously hurt predictions of polka dot for him. He can't go down the road for mountain points in that yellow jersey lol. Hopefully Mas will be a GC contender for DQ.

Team Ineos seems primed for the yellow jersey and another podium spot. They have climbers and ITT in Thomas and Bernal and the team can go to the front of the race at will.

Who will get that other podium spot? It's a short list when you limit it to climbers who can do a TT: Fuglsang then one wonders about Mas, Pinot, Uran or Woods.

So when do GC riders lose time so they can go for a stage win later? What an odd strategy to salvage something from the TdeF.

Green jersey is shaping up to be Sagan and Matthews. It seems like both are the alpha dogs of their teams. Matthews might like to win a green jersey over Sagan. Sagan wants to set a record.

So with Alaphillipe out of contention for the polka dot, would Nairo want it?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Speaking of good hair, Sagan and Ala look like they got lost en route to TdF and ended up at a Vanilla Ice concert in Miami. They're both currently sporting sweet shirts but could us an update to (hair)style game.

With Marcel Kittel effectively retired at this point, someone in the peleton had to inherit that impressive stash of performance hair gel, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Today was awkward. A blast back to the doping past.

NBC highlighted Lance today. When Lance said hello to "Phil and Paul", that set the tone. Bob also asked a question "How do you like the TdeF?"while Armstrong was in Colorado. The broadcast delay caused more awkward pauses. There is a reason that Lance is not in France. Broadcasting Lance day after day is awkward for the Tour and NBC.

That Christian VdeV was part of Lance's crew does not help him. The two Steve's were good. Horner was good.

NBC's coverage stepped on the race today. You want to be good. You don't want your announcers and guests to overtake the race though.

Tejay did better today with a tshirt on during the massage and good answers to serious questions. Sagan's segment was a little weaker today - drink a beer to pee for the doping control. Ouch, NBC.

Thankfully DQ is animating the race more than Ineos, so far. Alaphillipe in yellow may seriously hurt predictions of polka dot for him. He can't go down the road for mountain points in that yellow jersey lol. Hopefully Mas will be a GC contender for DQ.

Team Ineos seems primed for the yellow jersey and another podium spot. They have climbers and ITT in Thomas and Bernal and the team can go to the front of the race at will.

Who will get that other podium spot? It's a short list when you limit it to climbers who can do a TT: Fuglsang then one wonders about Mas, Pinot, Uran or Woods.

So when do GC riders lose time so they can go for a stage win later? What an odd strategy to salvage something from the TdeF.

Green jersey is shaping up to be Sagan and Matthews. It seems like both are the alpha dogs of their teams. Matthews might like to win a green jersey over Sagan. Sagan wants to set a record.

So with Alaphillipe out of contention for the polka dot, would Nairo want it?

I need to see the USA broadcast apparently. Was a snoozefest on Eurosport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ineos isn’t going to animate any of the first stages, nor will any other GC team. Don’t think you can gather anything from anyone being primed for win at this point. The only thing to glean is Ineos rode a good TTT as expected and then Thomas lost 5 seconds yesterday. No surprises at all.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 9, 19 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sagan, although he’s always in contention, just doesn’t seem to have the closing acceleration of Sagan past. Almost looks like he’s in the wrong gear (but after five hours in the saddle it still amazing how he can drive himself).
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
cartsman wrote:

Arguably the decline in French cycling was because of the tougher testing of French riders.

...and of course those great French winners Hinault, Fignon, Anquetil, Poulidor (sucks to have your career span Anquetil and Merckx and be the eternal second...) ....they of course got it done on bread and water. But its all the evil Spaniards, Italians, Dutchmen and Americans who are doped up to the gills. And its not like Eddy Merckx from nearby Belgium was a golden child on doping positives either but they honoured him this week at the Grand Depart....I can't wait till 2049 when they have a Grand Depart in Austin and celebrate 50 years of Lance's first win LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Sagan, although he’s always in contention, just doesn’t seem to have the closing acceleration of Sagan past. Almost looks like he’s in the wrong gear (but after five hours in the saddle it still amazing how he can drive himself).

Sagan went full gas yesterday while Vivanni, Ewan and company pulled the plug early. He has plenty of acceleration but is simply riding with more fatigue. In a pure drag race Sagan is 1% off compared to Vivanni, Gaviria, Kittel, etc but often he wins based on positioning or tactics. He has also gone too early a few times lately, as in stage one where he was in the wind too long.

Edit to one of my previous posts regarding Ala:

Re watching the stage he really did attack at the perfect time, all GC guys around him who are not going to follow, tailwind, downhill that is narrow. Perfect for an escape.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jul 9, 19 20:54
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read Sagan's book this spring. Fascinating to be inside his mind. Even though he seems a bit off, think he still muscles his way to the Green.

Alaphilippe=panache. Goes bananas yesterday, and then today with the Yellow jersey goes all in and risks it during the sprint as part of the lead out to be sure Viviani gets his. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's stage might be an interesting one. Does a breakaway with Wellens or maybe De Gendt in there stay away? Does Alaphilippe have a shot today considering they might want to keep him in yellow? Will Sagan, Matthews and Ewan survive or will the classics guys like Van Aert, Van Avermaet or Stuyven (who has been a bit under the radar but sneaking in a few good finishes finally!) go for it? GC guys probably won't make a move before stage 6 I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

Agree with you.

Sagan seems to be easing up the last two days at the finish line when he sees that he is not going to win. In yesterday's race a third place becomes a fourth place behind Caleb. This possibly could hurt him later as Matthews is not going to back off in his quest for points. Hopefully Sagan notices this so he can get his record setting green jersey.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Annamiek in the Giro Rosa. Takes 2 minutes out of everyone in the mountains pushing 5.7 w/kg for 24 minutes then wins today's TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for a chuckle. I saw they were going over some stuff I rode while I was there for work last year.

First, I'll come out with all the qualifiers in the world I can think of:

-I was well over 20w, probably 30w short on power a year ago
-I was on a cyclocross bike with 1x and no power meter
-I had to work 8-5 everyday in no a/c on my feet in steel toes, and commuted to/from work by bike each day
-I was NOT getting after it at all
-I had probably gained a couple pounds from all the morning croissants and breakfast treats at the workshop
-I'm not and never will be paid to ride a bike

My time: 10:49
https://www.strava.com/activities/17...ts/43282865694

Worst rider in 2019 TdF I could find on Strava that day: 7:24

https://www.strava.com/activities/25...ts/63340824127

Today they descend a little climb. Let's see then what a cx bike in the hands of a scared tourist did versus the seasoned TdF pros. It'll be mind boggling.

Can't compare the climb on the Cat 2 as I came at it from the other side. But came down the same way. That'll be worth a chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. World Tour cyclists are truly on a different planet.

I did tomorrow's main climb last year. Can't wait to see how much they kill my time by tomorrow. I am planning to spectate it if all goes well, but my fiancee's father might still be recovery from surgery and I won't go if he is still in hospital. It will be exciting at any rate. Tomorrow we begin to see who has the legs in the GC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Good stuff. World Tour cyclists are truly on a different planet.

I did tomorrow's main climb last year. Can't wait to see how much they kill my time by tomorrow. I am planning to spectate it if all goes well, but my fiancee's father might still be recovery from surgery and I won't go if he is still in hospital. It will be exciting at any rate. Tomorrow we begin to see who has the legs in the GC.

Unfortunately, for Stage 5 I had done the Cat 2 climb up the other side of the mountain from what they're doing.

I will get to see a direct comparison of my anemic 25mph tourist descent versus their 50+mph bomb down the mountain. It's a stretch of pretty good wide road with just a couple places they'll have to touch the brakes and slow it down. The speeds will be bonkers.

Where'd you go? I stayed in Turkheim and rode up Trois Epis on two different sides and rode the little hills around Colmar where those castles were. Kind of made a route along all the castles and stopped to go poke around them when I came across one.

I was too tired from working during the week to do any epic stuff near Grand Balon.

The imagery coming into Colmar today with the vineyards and such coming out of the mountains should be stunning!

It was stunning views when I was there. Sure it is for you too. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying around Belfort currently. Unfortunately this trip is due to some health issues the fiancee's father is having, but I've still managed to ride all around here including the areas surrounding (Valdoie, Danjoutin, etc). Cracking riding in these parts.

The descents truly blow my mind. I handle a bike well, but the risks some of those guys take makes me pucker. No way in hell I'd be doing what they do down a mountain.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Jack Haig gets a chance to ride for his own ambitions some day. He is a great teammate and a hell of a good rider. He posted some interesting data about his effort in the TTT on stage 2. 30 minutes with a NP of 414 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Story lines I will be following tomorrow on la Planche des Belles Filles:
1. Can Thomas hold Bernal's wheel?
2. Is Fuglsang fully recovered?
3. Will Valverde assert himself? What should we make of the soap opera that is Team Movistar?
4. How is Wout Van Aert going to do on a big climb?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
How about Annamiek in the Giro Rosa. Takes 2 minutes out of everyone in the mountains pushing 5.7 w/kg for 24 minutes then wins today's TT.

Not bad considering what happened in Rio a few Summers ago

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

Agree with you.

Sagan seems to be easing up the last two days at the finish line when he sees that he is not going to win. In yesterday's race a third place becomes a fourth place behind Caleb. This possibly could hurt him later as Matthews is not going to back off in his quest for points. Hopefully Sagan notices this so he can get his record setting green jersey.

Ok, that’s the Sagan we’ve come to know!

Great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True story..8 summers ago - June of 2011- Mike Woods shows up at the start line of a local 5 k run race here in Ottawa and pops a sub -16min to win the 1000$ prize. Tells me he needs it’s for rent !..lol. He was about one year into ‘dabbling’ on the bike and coming to terms with the end of running career and wondering what he was going to do next in life...... :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next