Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have watched the crash a few times as I am still scratching my head about it. From the front view, the Lidl-Trek guy definitely locks his front wheel trying to brake while cornering and is the first one going down. I really don't see any bounciness caused by raised asphalt but it's hard to tell from the footage.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think of there isn't that concrete ditch and those huge rocks there, we're probably not having this same conversation. The crash still would have happened, but the consequences would likely not have been as dire; it was just a perfect storm of a sketchy corner and dangerous features on the verge.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a terrible day.

And besides the Itzulia crash, Mohoric is out of Paris-Roubaix due to injuries sustained in the Ronde, and Kämna is in the hospital in Tenerife after an accident with a car while training.

Sometimes I wonder about this sport I love so much.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
fredericknorton wrote:
thanks to McNulty for taking on the leadership to address the message from the higher up(s).

when thinking on how to address a little less than civil discourse about a 2nd bike racing thread - McNulty came to mind as the closest thing we might have to a 'leader'

Every peloton has its patron.

Bossy Fucking Americans

It's no coincidence that Lance's biggest sponsor when he was getting his podcast running was PatrĂłn

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stealing this from r/Peloton:

• UAE: Vine has broken three vertebrae, no other major injuries or head trauma.
  • Visma: Vingegaard has a broken collarbone and several broken ribs, but he is stable and will remain in hospital for now
  • Soudal: Evenepoel has a broken collarbone and scapula
  • Lidl: abrasions but no fractures or concussion for Tesfatsion
  • Total: Cras has a punctured lung, broken ribs and broken vertebrae
  • EF: Cepeda and Quinn involved, broken sternum and concussion for Sean Quinn
  • Bora: no fractures for Roglic
  • Alpecin: abrasions for Hermans, who finished the stage.

Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a comprehensive update, thanks

I still believe Roglic got concussed yesterday, regardless of what the medicos say

Nothing will EVER be as bad (concussion-wise then trying to ride on) as Skuijns tho

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on Roglic having a concussion yesterday and going down today makes it even worse. There's just no way back to back knocks of the head aren't anything other than bad news.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I remember the days they used to go downhill in a single line but nowadays they want to go downhill at such high speed as a group… one small mistake and everybody pays for it.

But don’t worry, we will have another carnage this weekend… it seems that is the way this season is shaping out.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Stealing this from r/Peloton:

• UAE: Vine has broken three vertebrae, no other major injuries or head trauma.
  • Visma: Vingegaard has a broken collarbone and several broken ribs, but he is stable and will remain in hospital for now
  • Soudal: Evenepoel has a broken collarbone and scapula
  • Lidl: abrasions but no fractures or concussion for Tesfatsion
  • Total: Cras has a punctured lung, broken ribs and broken vertebrae
  • EF: Cepeda and Quinn involved, broken sternum and concussion for Sean Quinn
  • Bora: no fractures for Roglic
  • Alpecin: abrasions for Hermans, who finished the stage.

Horrific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
I'm with you on Roglic having a concussion yesterday and going down today makes it even worse. There's just no way back to back knocks of the head aren't anything other than bad news.

I've spoken about my own concussion history on here before, so I kinda know what they look like

Even though she was only diagnosed for her arm, the way Lizzie Deignen was wandering about the crash site said to me "she got dinged upside the noggin"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
That's a comprehensive update, thanks

I still believe Roglic got concussed yesterday, regardless of what the medicos say

Nothing will EVER be as bad (concussion-wise then trying to ride on) as Skuijns tho

Cycling's concussion policies are ineffective due to a number of factors even today. The riders don't help in that often the instinct is to get up and go as quickly as possible. If I recall there was no protocol at all during that Skuijns Tour of Cali crash. I'll pass on re-watching it; I haven't forgotten that.

I'm also with you and others on Roglic being concussed yesterday. Aside from what could be seen, it was even more telling how often his teammates were getting alongside him and looking him directly in the face to check in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roglic was 2min + down after his crash, coherently pace-lined back to the peloton and then sat in the bunch to finish for nearly 20k….i don’t recall any other cyclist that was truly concussed that accomplishing that?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked a PR start list and it still was only maybe 50-60% filled out.
driving super North for eclipse (and it sounds like a massive snowfall top of NY and VT), so I'll make some last minute picks Fri night/Sat morn.

I haven't looked at replays - not ready yet. reading some thoughts on here (and a 1 minute post ride interview from PBnSkelly) 60 dudes racing down a mountain was super sketchy period. add in bumpy roads (I experience this more on gravel with washboard, but it is really tough for me), tight spacing such that you're probably a little scared that if you brake too much you'll get torpedoed from behind. I can't imagine going down a descent like that anything but single file.

For sure taking out riders with the titles Remco, Vinge, and Rog have will change some racing. Hopefully more than just Pogi and MvdP can keep the racing engaging. Hard not to think what if (Wout, Stuyven, Kirsch, healthy Mads) with Flanders.

that Skujins concussion was an embarrassment to the sport (and EF/Garmin). Hopefully any director who has seen that would error on caution.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all the reports, I did not read about the concrete gutter right at the apex of the decreasing radius turn today.I screen captured this off my flobikes account but it seems it would have been easy to minimally cover up this ditch with something as simple at plywood (and I do appreciate it is painful to see all these riders in agony at the side of the road, but not sure how to show the construction of this ditch without this):

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 4, 24 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the topic of concussions, This is going farther back, but does anyone remember that Horner crash at the Tour back in the day, where he finished the the stage and had no idea of where he was?. that was crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a quick google earth fly over this road and there are countless features like this at the apex of turns and along the margins - some that appear 50m or longer. Not to mention all the man-boulders, sharp drops. I think these would be too great a challenge to cover.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
I’ve done a quick google earth fly over this road and there are countless features like this at the apex of turns and along the margins - some that appear 50m or longer. Not to mention all the man-boulders, sharp drops. I think these would be too great a challenge to cover.

Thanks for doing that. I assume this is to collect water flowing off the side of the mountain during storm surges so that the road does not wash out. So I see your point that on the one hand it would be hard to cover up, but seems like some basic sheets of plywood would do the trick, even if you need 50 sheets of 4 ft wide by 30 ft long?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The artist in question is Jean Metzinger, who painted a scene from the 1912 Paris Roubaix, titled Au VĂ©lodrome.

I don't often like cubism, but I like how it is used to convey motion here. On display at Guggenheim Venice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m optimistic - anything is possible

Let me throw this mind worm out there… what was the weather like for the day before this stage? During the stage? What if something typically associated with that weather suddenly had nowhere to go because something else was covered up? What new hazards are introduced (standing water, slower run-off resulting in stranded debris across the roadway, washouts, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a little more Paris-Roubaix trivia? Everybody knows that Bernard Hinault only rode P-R once - and won it. As it turns out, he was the last Grand Tour winner to win Paris-Roubaix.

But who was the last GT winner to finish on the podium?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To continue with the horrible week: Kämna also severly injured in training accident. Seems a car turned left.

News in German, but Google translate should do:
https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/de/news/lennard-de

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
How about a little more Paris-Roubaix trivia? Everybody knows that Bernard Hinault only rode P-R once - and won it. As it turns out, he was the last Grand Tour winner to win Paris-Roubaix.

But who was the last GT winner to finish on the podium?

That's a myth. Hinault rode the race five times. Here are his results in Paris-Roubaix:

1978 13th
1979 11th
1980 4th
1981 1st
1982 9th

It was the Tour of Flanders that Hinault rode once - in 1978, finishing 11th - and never rode again, calling it a circus event.

Additionally, Hinault wasn't the last GT winner to win Paris-Roubaix. Sean Kelly, who won in Roubaix in 1984 and 1986 also won the 1988 Vuelta a Espana..

As for the last GT winner to feature on the podium at P-Rbx, that was Laurent Fignon with his 3rd place finish in 1988.

And though Hennie Kuiper never won a GT, he did come 2nd in the TdF in 1977 and 1980, complementing his Paris-Roubaix win in 1983.
Last edited by: Bdaghisallo: Apr 5, 24 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Chris Horner take on the feed after the crash... Let people see it because that is the only source of information for parents and love ones!

Also, He said "when Jonas moved the leg" you can tell he wasn't paralyzed... which was exactly what I feared watching jonas not moving for over 20min

now onto prx and the "how bad is the chicane" - people and riders want a safer sport but when something is done then "this is not helping - we don't like it"

can they crash there? ABSOLUTLY but I would rather crash shaving off speed before a corner than riding full gas into the cobbles...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Apr 5, 24 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyJo is out for Roubaix.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see Laporte in the lineup, I wonder what his form is like?.
Quote Reply

Prev Next