Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
so many good things .....
- I think Phil Gil tried to talk Valverde into an attack on the Cipresso. that could have been fun.
- Boneyface's descent was nucking futs. I'm old. I can't watch that stuff anymore.
- Sky is impressive. here's the Poggio and boom, here's sky. they gave Kwi his shot.
- Wout Van Aert = WTF ..... he's for real. I did not expect an appearance today.

QS is stacked

it's okay; old farts like me and you (and I don't think you are that old) just need to make sure we had a movement in the day when we watch; or we should just wear something trustworthy and Dependable

Sean Kelly style descending

and agreed on Van Aert; seriously strong. Should have been more patient

and GvA was nowhere to be seen; this can't be good
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 23, 19 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done! You're right, I do live in the US now but still pretend to be European from time to time. Actually, have been more in touch with family and friends recently so I actually feel closer to motherland than in a long time. None of that is a particularly good excuse for being tonedeaf so again, sorry for that.

Been watching the replays. Someone mentioned that Sagan was watching the other side - true. He also ended up slightly boxed in for a while and had to traverse quite an extra distance to the right to clear himself. He clearly didn't have the finishing power he has at times when he's healthy but he also goofed up his positioning while AlleDepp was spot on. Can't take much away from the kid.
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
She is actually a very good triathlete. Running is her strength but she can certainly ride well too. She follows the French athletes and is an expert at picking them for every podium of every race, but doesn't religiously follow the races themselves. I know more from her about the French rider's WAGs than I care to admit. She was screaming on the mobile with her dad when Julian won....I've had enough French for one day.

sounds like you'll just have to wait for them to revert to the mean :P

Otoh, when's the last time France has won two monuments in a row?

turdburgler wrote:
To make this all worse, I just realized that she picked 2 of the 3 on the podium and her other pick was 5th. FFS what the hell am I doing here?
?

surely the bantering? where else can you banter about AlaDepp and Decent Knicks without being labeled a bike dork?
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 23, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers! You are right on that. You all gave me LFF today which Is really annoying her. That is priceless
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Sagan was looking at Valverde when Mohoric went. Might not have mattered. He looked knackered.

Gilbert just flat out buried himself for Aladepp.

Great ride from Si Clarkeee, TD, van Dert, lots of guys....Valverde is eerily subtle and efficient. Always seems to be right there. Dammit.

Best ride was from the una bella ragazza on the horse in the water on the beach. Damn......

Sagan was blown, that is it, nothing more. He sort of gave that away in an interview this week when he said this is a fun race....if you are in condition. In addition, i think he expected valverde to start the sprint and was not in great position. He also went very deep to close down some initial gaps that are very hard to recover from when not on top form. I think we can all be happy with this race, just look at that front group and how many current or former world champions were present.
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Sagan was blown, that is it, nothing more. He sort of gave that away in an interview this week when he said this is a fun race....if you are in condition. In addition, i think he expected valverde to start the sprint and was not in great position. He also went very deep to close down some initial gaps that are very hard to recover from when not on top form. I think we can all be happy with this race, just look at that front group and how many current or former world champions were present.

four, if you count Mohoric; five, if you count WvA

i really liked how many national champ jerseys there were
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
just look at that front group and how many current or former world champions were present.

And future world champions. The LFF seems destined to join that group at some point. Maybe even this year. He must like the look of that course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I thought the same thing. there was some serious "representing" going on.

I also saw ~4 QS riders cross the line together. they really are making this "team thing" work. unbelievable. that is serious ego management.

and now .... let's go back to where its cold and hard and tough men go forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rewatched the last 10 kms of the race and noticed that Alaphilippe did actually cover an attack: that of Mohoric in the closing km. So him outsprinting everyone else should be looked at in the context of that, which is to say, prior to the final sprint, Alaphilippe was the last to lay down serious watts, and he stilled had enough in the sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
echappist wrote:

I also saw ~4 QS riders cross the line together. they really are making this "team thing" work. unbelievable. that is serious ego management.

Not sure if there is cold in Europe right now. What's the weather like in Belgium? Spoke with mom this morning and while she's not in Belgium she's a fair bit north of San Remo and it was 21C there. They've already planted their garden outside. I'm in the Northeast (of the US) and got 2 inches of snow last night...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Sagan was looking at Valverde when Mohoric went. Might not have mattered. He looked knackered.

Gilbert just flat out buried himself for Aladepp.

Great ride from Si Clarkeee, TD, van Dert, lots of guys....Valverde is eerily subtle and efficient. Always seems to be right there. Dammit.

Best ride was from the una bella ragazza on the horse in the water on the beach. Damn......

Big Sagan fan here. Peter was trying for the win; yet, wasn't on the right wheel. Too bad Kwi, finished just ahead of him for the podium. Don't think there is a of of love between Sagan and Kwi at Milan-San Remo.

Good race by JA and his team. He is on form and responding well to whatever comes his way this year.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Alaphilippe was the last to lay down serious watts, and he stilled had enough in the sprint.

*And* he layed down the most serious attack over the Poggio to get rid of the fat sprinters, taking over for Bettiol. He was a one-man show. Really the only guy he needed all day was DeClerq.

What happened to Degekobble? Dropped the chain of his 1x SRAM AXS? I don't think he was really going to bridge to that final selection, but that's a crappy time to drop a chain.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 23, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
echappist wrote:

Not sure if there is cold in Europe right now. What's the weather like in Belgium? Spoke with mom this morning and while she's not in Belgium she's a fair bit north of San Remo and it was 21C there. They've already planted their garden outside. I'm in the Northeast (of the US) and got 2 inches of snow last night...

During the week we had temperatures near 0°C at night but 12-20°C during the day and mostly sunny but windy, little bit of rain but barely any. Today was 8-12°C but gray outside, windy and a bit of rain here and there, ideal weather for the Ronde or something like Liege-Bastogne-Liege ;)
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
Alaphilippe was the last to lay down serious watts, and he stilled had enough in the sprint.

*And* he layed down the most serious attack over the Poggio to get rid of the fat sprinters, taking over for Bettiol. He was a one-man show. Really the only guy he needed all day was DeClerq.

What happened to Degekobble? Dropped the chain of his 1x SRAM AXS? I don't think he was really going to bridge to that final selection, but that's a crappy time to drop a chain.

According to Degenkolb on Instagram Jasper Stuyven had problems as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Yeah, wow, that little French fucker really delivered with all the pressure. Super impressive.

hahaha....new nickname is LFF

I’m glad I could make a small contribution to this thread. This thread is fantastic.

Tri_Joeri wrote:
During the week we had temperatures near 0°C at night but 12-20°C during the day and mostly sunny but windy, little bit of rain but barely any. Today was 8-12°C but gray outside, windy and a bit of rain here and there, ideal weather for the Ronde or something like Liege-Bastogne-Liege ;)

Dang, it may be a pretty mild spring then huh? Wind is good for racing, though :)
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Dang, it may be a pretty mild spring then huh? Wind is good for racing, though :)

it was in the mid-60s along the Ligurian Coast today

btw, seeing 10 people going into the finale reminded me of this. Cheeky lil b***er

Last edited by: echappist: Mar 23, 19 19:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DQS gets a lot of credit for blowing the race up on the Poggio. They softened everyone up to point few had anything left when Alaphilippe went. Really good riding.

Bummer for Degrnkobble. And did you notice how close Oss was to getting back on? If he does and he keeps pace up for a ‘high speed’ sprint it’s likely a different outcome.
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a side note, but Daniel Oss is one of the best riders/teammates in the peloton. I love watching that guy race. His positioning is phenomenal and he is peerless in his qualities to bury himself for people.

You are right; that race could have been different. Oss was just short of having what it took to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I watched the finale like 10 times and Sagan lost that race like he was rookie...

1. Break was formed and he is on the front taking turns like if he was a climber (while Alaphilippe was on the back having a free ride)

2. They get on the flat and Alaphilippe was on the front goes left to get Sagan off his wheel and Sagan is left leading the pack again

3. Sagan stays in MIDDLE of the road looking left and right... should have go left or right so he only had to check on one side

4. He is looking right and the left goes and he didn't hit the gas right away... end up being sixth wheel and by then there is no enough road to make up positions

btw: very impress with Wout!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Mar 24, 19 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything you posted.

Wout is so incredibly strong. Looking forward to the rest of his spring campaign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valverde needs a nickname that acknowledges his talent while not overlooking his misdeeds.

Ryan Adams?
Quote Reply
Re: ***2019 Spring Classics Thread*** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
4. He is looking right and the left goes and he didn't hit the gas right away...

That was weird. I was watching live, and you could see a full 1-second hesitation on what was very obviously the end-game move by Alaphillipe. I thought he was just blown and sitting up, but then he was able to put a bit of a sprint together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Valverde needs a nickname that acknowledges his talent while not overlooking his misdeeds.

Ryan Adams?

Alejandro Valverde Piti Belmonte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Ryan Adams?

Alejandro Valverde Piti Belmonte

Alejandro Balaverde Piti Belmonte

however, neither Balaverde nor Piti is original
Quote Reply

Prev Next