Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
echappist wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Yates will be looking to correct his flame out from last year, but I also think Dumoulin figures he let last year's race slip away too. And Roglic sure looks good right now. One of them will win. (Or not.) Nibali might be too long in the tooth to win, but who knows? Lopez might sneak in. How many stages will Gaviria win? And with Bernal out, what's the plan for Ineos? It will be an entertaining three weeks of cycling.

Too many stages seem more suited for Ulissi than they are for Gaviria. I counted maybe 3 true sprinter stages. All the others seems tailored for the break.

Viviani and DQS won't want to let breaks get away, which doesn't mean a break won't have a chance. The sprints ought to be interesting between Gaviria and Viviani, with Ewan and Demare also there.

it just doesn't seem as if Viviani can get over too many climbs, for some reason. I mean, dude isn't that heavy at all, but he seems to be more Cav like, in the sense that there's a lot of snap (for blowing people off his wheel), but not a lot of sustained output.

Contrast that to the likes of Nizzolo and Gaviria, both of whom can at least get over small hills (this include the likes of the heavier-set Griepel and Kristoff)

trail wrote:
Another sleeper might be Richard Carapaz. He could improve on last year's 4th.

that's not a sleeper :p
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Movistar leadership will be interesting with Landa and Carapaz, assume it'll be another "figure it out on the road" situation.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feck yes I can't wait. Roglic is on fire. It's hard not to tip the cap to him.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an old school, slow burn GT with no mountain action until stage 13 or so. Of course with the ITTs the contenders will have to stay sharp but it’s more or less setting up to see who can be the most economical leading up to final week and then come on good.

Week three is going to be awesome, just hope it isn’t muted, controlled racing until then.

I’m torn who to choose from. Think Nibali can put em on ropes in third week but might have too much ground to make up by then. I’d really like to see him win. TD has proven he can be good to the very end. Suspect it’s between him and Roglic, with the latter taking it if he can avoid bad day. Can’t look past Yates either. Don’t see Lopez being there quite yet.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
This is an old school, slow burn GT with no mountain action until stage 13 or so. Of course with the ITTs the contenders will have to stay sharp but it’s more or less setting up to see who can be the most economical leading up to final week and then come on good.

Week three is going to be awesome, just hope it isn’t muted, controlled racing until then.

I’m torn who to choose from. Think Nibali can put em on ropes in third week but might have too much ground to make up by then. I’d really like to see him win. TD has proven he can be good to the very end. Suspect it’s between him and Roglic, with the latter taking it if he can avoid bad day. Can’t look past Yates either. Don’t see Lopez being there quite yet.

I think Tom D has "last week pacing" down pretty well. Last year at the TdF if we recall, Roglic went nuts on that solo attack (including the downhill getaway), but he paid the next day (or was it two days later) at the ITT. With all the miles of ITTing, and Dumoulin's "never really off" (well aside from having to take a dump on the Stelvio stage in 2017), he'll just grind them down over 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Nibs will be full on for this. It's his jam, no other race matters and this is perhaps his last real shot unless he goes all Horner on us.
He's been solid so far this spring. Support is the issue.
I think the stages favor TD riding into the 3rd week and there's no doubt he's being dialed into this. His "Iack of form" so far isn't necessarily a bad thing and I see him and Jungels plowing along together.
I'm also looking forward to Carapaz rolling like a young Pistolero.
Last edited by: McNulty: May 7, 19 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Don’t see Lopez being there quite yet.

You obviously know a lot more than me on this topic. But I am curious what brings you to this conclusion.

If his power numbers were currently very high, would you still say this ?
Is it more experience, surrounding team or pure fitness ?
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carapaz, can’t forget him. This Giro is so stacked that 2/3 of the TdF podium will also be decided.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lopez has loads of talent but is still young and not as experienced. He’ll only get stronger and more of a threat but think there are too many big riders lining up this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Lopez has loads of talent but is still young and not as experienced. He’ll only get stronger and more of a threat but think there are too many big riders lining up this year.

I know he is out, but would you have put Bernal as a stronger contender ? If so, why ? Raw talent, the team or maturity beyond his young age ?
Last edited by: marcag: May 8, 19 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I know he is out, but would you have put Bernal as a stronger contender ? If so, why ? Raw talent, the team or maturity beyond his young age ?

tactical nous; rewatch Bernal during the wind-swiped stages of Paris Nice; always alert and on the front, patrolling, closing gaps, or driving small groups. He may be a willowy climber, but that physique belies a tactical guile most GC types lack

Carl Spackler wrote:

cyclingnews just came out with a list of "ambush stages", and I think quite a few stages in the first two weeks could qualify, as most are undulating. It really stretches the strategizing abilities of DSes when such an event occurs (not to mention that it makes our viewing more enjoyable)
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at the topos. These early stages are lumpier than I thought and look to give the right break a chance. I think we'll see some aggressive racing and it will be a challenge protecting GC and/or going for broke and the make up of the break should be super interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks

He is apparently firing on all cylinders after an extended training session back home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

All of the above. He is tactically astute, can TT well, climbs like a mountain goat and has the most dominant team in cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little side story that I’m interested in is Bora and their choice of Ackermann over Bennett. I remember reading about it in the off season and felt bad for Bennett considering the success he had last year at the Giro. Bora’s had a good year so far even with Sagan being off, just hope it works out for them and hopefully Bennett gets his shot at the Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah its a shame about Bennett. He was the best sprinter on his team so far this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys, help me out - how can I watch it in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
Hey Guys, help me out - how can I watch it in the US?

flobikes.com is the fully legit non-VPN way to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the EU crew (or VPN) users the Wiggo show will be back for additional commentary. I believe Contador will be joining in as well. FYI Wiggo is picking Yates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently Bruyneel will be doing day by day predictions on Lance's podcast, the move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thrilled for that. Regardless of their pasts, Bruyneel in particular is one of the best ever grand tour tacticians. His commentary will be valuable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have friends on one of the teams and have spent lots of time with the staff (mechanics, masseurs, soigneurs)
Many have been there for a long time and therefore worked with Lance, Bruyneel, Contador, Nibali.....

There are two things that are unanimous. The most liked individual is Nibali. The most disliked, Bruyneel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that is interesting. I dont have any direct knowledge of Bruyneel, but a few riders I know claimed Nibs is an absolute knob. Granted these were riders on opposing teams and didn't work with him so I have to take that for what its worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also one more thing to add as a disclaimer: I wouldn't doubt the Bruyneel is an absolute **** just like Lance was. I still think they were amongst the best in a universally doped era.

Edit to remove some language. That isn't as popular in some places as it is here. Apologies.
Last edited by: turdburgler: May 9, 19 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Now that is interesting. I dont have any direct knowledge of Bruyneel, but a few riders I know claimed Nibs is an absolute knob. Granted these were riders on opposing teams and didn't work with him so I have to take that for what its worth.

I did notice a slight bias from the Italians :-) Also, most opinions came from staff, not riders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next