Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [TripDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cops are just people too and are entitled to be just as stupid as the rest of us.[/reply]
Sorry, if you are allowed to carry a weapon, you are not.

------------------------------------------------------------

There would be a lot less firearms out there if stupid people or people acting stupidly weren't allow them as you suggest.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"cops out there that protect our children and loved ones"

Sorry to hijack the thread but since we're talking a bit about law, this irks me. The police do not protect you. You are protected by the law. The police are charged with enforcing the law. And there's the rub. The police can't actually do anything until a law has been broken. This often leaves the citizen SOL. The police can then 'solve' the crime (if that's any consolation to you, now). (And, yes, a 'police presence' will 'dissuade' crime but the police to not protect you. If you want protection you better learn to protect yourself.

I'm not a police hater; my son is a police offficer.

Azby
Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think committing perjury in 20-50% of Fourth Amendment suppression hearings is a small number.

>In one survey cited by Slobogin, defense attorneys, prosecutors, and judges estimated that police
>perjury occurs in between 20% and 50% of Fourth Amendment suppression hearings, which result
>when defense attorneys attempt to argue that police had no probable cause to stop or search a suspect.

Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ahh, I miss New Zealand. Not Perfect, but a much simpler place. Areas of small population, and a less up tight view on life.

I was born here, but spent about 25 years living in Canada and travelling extensively in Canada and the US (all 10 provinces but no territories, and 42 of the States so far), but returned to NZ about 12 years ago. After living in the Developed World for so long I was disappointed by lots of things in NZ, upon my return. Sure, there are lots of good things here, but there's lots of things that need to catch up to developed world stats. I used to get annoyed and disappointed with my beloved homeland....until I came up with a serious mind shift.

Rather than focus on the negatives, I now think of New Zealand as "The best 3rd World Country I've ever lived in" and magically it all seems so much better! :-)

The one, over-riding thing that really pisses me off is the crappy roading system here. The road designers just don't seem to have any appreciation for the simple perfection of a cloverleaf motorway (freeway) interchange. You wouldn't believe the nightmare of motorway exits here. For starters, every one is different and they manage to find a new best way to slow traffic and snarl movement of vehicles, all at ridiculous cost. OTher than that, it's a way cool place however.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how they do it in Copenhagen, Denmark

http://www.youtube.com/...ogUsbuy4c&fmt=18

Hug and a helmet, they have done it at night time as well with lights.
Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it just me though or as soon as the cop yelled at me the first time, I would have pulled over. Whether asked to or not.
Seems to me there was lack of judgement on both parties. Mostly with the officer but if there is one thing I have learned, if you treat the police with respect and don't give them any lip, chances are they will let you go on your way.

I had an incident where the cop pulled me over threatening me with a ticket. I knew what I was doing was perfectly legal, but I did not have the proof with me so I humored him. My voice remained at a conversation level and I was respectful. I have since printed an Illinois bike law cheatsheet so I can educate the cop next time in a nice friendly manner.

http://www.activetrans.org/...aw/illinois-statutes

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: (some) Cops are not your friends [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! I often carry the same thing. I print out the Ohio Revised Code (section 4511 if I remember) ;) and I print it on self-stick sheets (Avery). If I have an "encounter" or whatever, and see the car/truck/SUV later, I'll stick the code on his driver window ;)

Non malicious, gets them thinking, and hopefully educated.

Prev Next