Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
(Spoiler) TT Worlds
Quote | Reply
Currently watching and writing this as Rohan Dennis is starting. Who do you pick for the podium? I'll go with: Ganna, Van Aert and Dennis

Gear question: what's that gigantic hub Alex Dowsett is riding on his front wheel??

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what he rode in the European World Championships:
https://www.revolverwheels.co.uk/shop/disc-brake-wheels/revolver-troika-troika-tmd/

Looks like they built some sort of disc shroud into the trispoke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be Ineos podium at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I would bet against Geraint Thomas hanging on for the podium...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once they hit the auto racing track, does it look like they are losing time by using too much road on the corners? It’s like they are trained to use the whole road on corners but the corners are so wide that they don’t need to go from apex to edge so much.

Like around the final corner, the only reason to be coming so wide would be for better road surface, which obviously I can’t feel. But those aren’t tight enough lines.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There we go. Cavagna rode the better lines.
Last edited by: DieselPete: Sep 25, 20 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something about the tarmac on that track seems to be causing odd handling issues. It definitely is suited for auto racing and is different from the tarmac on the roads.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't see the event, just the picture on Velonews front cover. Let's play spot the water bottle for a 31 K time trial.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ganna doesn't care about those watts when he was dishing out mid 470s at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most started w/ bottles.

I think I even saw Cavagna (?) take a swig after he came thru the time check at 14km.

What I'm waiting for is the 100000000s of comments to follow about saddles too high, rocking hips, etc., etc. about all the fastest riders.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Let's play spot the water bottle for a 31 K time trial.

Off the top of my head, the Shiv TT, the BMC, the Pinarello, the Cervelo, and the SpeedConcept all test faster with a bottle than without. Because UCI, most of them will have had at most, a splash of water in them so it wasn't considered a "fairing."

Unrelated...

The split-downtube Factor is still a damned pretty TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayontz wrote:
This is what he rode in the European World Championships:

https://www.revolverwheels.co.uk/shop/disc-brake-wheels/revolver-troika-troika-tmd/

Looks like they built some sort of disc shroud into the trispoke.

Joe Skipper uses that wheel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDifJ5Ghliu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Are you talking about Slick? If not, link please. I'm curious.

https://img.redbull.com/images/c_crop,x_0,y_0,h_1047,w_1571/c_fill,w_1030,h_687/q_auto,f_auto/redbullcom/2019/10/04/dd2f4da6-def5-451c-ba5f-d74328fd40fb/felt-slick-bike
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train by numbers race by feel...

Quote:
The Welshman had to cover the 31.7km course without any information on his power or speed after his Garmin computer was misplaced before his effort. While he could draw encouragement from his eventual fourth place, just seven seconds off the podium and 37 seconds behind the unassailable Filippo Ganna (Italy), he was left to wonder what he might have achieved had he been able to guide his effort with live data.

Maybe he needs to take a lesson from Pogacar.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or other things that Pogacar takes that he doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Off the top of my head, the Shiv TT, the BMC, the Pinarello, the Cervelo, and the SpeedConcept all test faster with a bottle than without. Because UCI, most of them will have had at most, a splash of water in them so it wasn't considered a "fairing."

Unrelated...

I thought Factor updated their bikes this year and did away with the split-downtube.

I was surprised to see Campanaerts not use the bottle on his BMC. Not that it would have made up his deficit at all, but he tests everything to the nth degree. Ganna running a round bottle on his downtube didn't shock me. When you are dishing out those watts in that position you can throw some away. :)
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know why MTM didn't race? I could have sworn I saw him on the pre-race list of riders, but obviously he didn't start.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

turdburgler wrote:
RKW wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Unrelated...

I thought Factor updated their bikes this year and did away with the split-downtube.

I was surprised to see Campanaerts not use the bottle on his BMC. Not that it would have made up his deficit at all, but he tests everything to the nth degree. Ganna running a round bottle on his downtube didn't shock me. When you are dishing out those watts in that position you can throw some away. :)

Well the round bottle has more volume of charge for the electric battery LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
L
Off the top of my head, the Shiv TT, the BMC, the Pinarello, the Cervelo, and the SpeedConcept all test faster with a bottle than without.

Woah, didn't know that, is there any data available somewhere on that? And I assume, we talk about dimpled aero" bottles here?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
What I'm waiting for is the 100000000s of comments to follow about saddles too high, rocking hips, etc., etc. about all the fastest riders.

I did see one guy that I thought definitely needed to raise his saddle. I haven’t watched a pro time trial for a long time, what struck me was the crazy high pad stack all these guys seem to run. However, I didn’t notice anyone that had anything other than a horizontal torso. Are they all running very small frames? Anything to be learned from this? Like maybe lower isn’t a panacea for speed?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Are they all running very small frames?

Ganna, who is 6'5" looks to be on a pretty small frame by normal standards given how much seat mast and pad stack he has.

But his position is plenty "low."

It's just the "new way" to set the bars low then use pad stack for fit. It's just way easier. The masters TT fashion of "nose to headtube" is over.

Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the best of my knowledge there are some modelling results and wind tunnel measurements that indicate that a pad stack of more than 4 cm has a small aero advantage.

I also think that they like to put the brake levers/hoods at the optimum position for handling and aero while in the hoods. This is very important for pros because they tend to ride more sporting courses, rather than flat out and backs, that require good handling skills and they spend more time in the hoods. They can corner better and the aero penalty is smaller because they still maintain a flat back out of the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you this is a benefit of the big differential between aero bars and hoods. Be wary when applying this to your own racing. I have two tt bikes, an old one for training and newer one for racing. The aero position is the same but the hoods are in different positions with the newer bike being lower. I went and raced IM Whistler with lots of climbing and corners and the consistently low position despite spending lots of time not in aero bars led to my back fatiguing and significant slowing in the second half. It’s hard to maintain the flat back for long periods without some variation in position.
Quote Reply
Re: (Spoiler) TT Worlds [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is not a photo from worlds - He was running a frame that was a size smaller, with custom extensions that had a base that protruded up and away from the basebar before the armpads. Also, the Ineos riders on the start list were running PCW Fronts and Aerocoach rears.

trail wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Are they all running very small frames?

Ganna, who is 6'5" looks to be on a pretty small frame by normal standards given how much seat mast and pad stack he has.

But his position is plenty "low."

It's just the "new way" to set the bars low then use pad stack for fit. It's just way easier. The masters TT fashion of "nose to headtube" is over.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The photo of Ganna is indeed from worlds. He just had that helmet finished and painted for it. You could also see him drinking from the round bottle on the downtube at the start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next