Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(OT) questions for Atlanta folks
Quote | Reply

Hello All

I'll be spending a few days in Dahlonega next week (due largely to the suggestions of several STers - thanks!) but also making a day trip to the center of Atlanta. This is business stuff, not tourism, at least during the day; we'll probably stay in town for dinner, too. I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. Fewest headaches/least stress is more important than saving money.

Main options:
-Drive into the center of Atlanta and park. Presumably I'd put the car in a lot for the day; cost wouldn't be more than $25 dollars, which I don't really care that much about for this one-time event.
-Drive to someplace on the "Marta," such as North Springs Station; park there and take the train into Atlanta.

So, I'm loooking for recommendations.
We won't have much stuff to bring with us. The car isn't super fancy but it is pretty new. So it doesn't have to be the world's safest parking lot but I'd rather it not be too iffy.

How crazy is it to drive into Atlanta? How reliable is the train service? Do the parking lots at the train stations fill up? Are they ok to take home late?
Thanks for all the information.

Thanks,
-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) questions for Atlanta folks [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob

getting into atlanta from Dahlonega isnt hard at all. just shoot dow GA 400 to 85/75 and you are there. Parking intown isnt very bad, but i dont do it much so im not that familiar with the lots down there. i actually commute by marta from the North Springs Station. I have never seen the parking lot full there and trains during the day are pretty good. about every 15 minutes and cost 1.75 each way. It is an easy ride downtown ~30 minutes. It really depends on what you want to do. If you just plan on staying within the confines of midtown/downtown, marta is a nice option. but if you are going to be doing some walking, say from midtown to downtown, its a bit of a hike, unless you hop back on Marta. and as to your final question, marta late at night is fine, i have come home around the 10'oclock time quite a bit. Just rememeber that you might have to switch trains that late to get up to the North Springs area. Enjoy Atlanta.

-=mte=-
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) questions for Atlanta folks [theReflexx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, thereflexx.

we're going to have to figure this out, but it seems like both options are good.

we may be meeting people in southern atlanta for dinner, which doesn't make anything easier. i'd probably have less stress if i just park the thing, but i don't know how much marta would help get to the dinner.

anything i should see in atlanta if i get a free moment?

-charles
Quote Reply