Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
(OT) A Question for A Mathamatician
Quote | Reply
Why, in geometry, is slope represented by m?

(ST was my last resort for this question cause i cant find the answer on the web. answering this question gets me 10 bonus points and i need an A in geometry)
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [Sir Velo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Sir is cheating!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i want 10 points and i dont remember the teacher saying asking a bunch of tri geeks is cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should brushen up on your web-search skills...first search, and first link gave me the answer. Try this in google:

"is slope represented with an "m"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's your grade in spelling? you might need to worry about that, too ;)

"mathematician"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 i have a 100 in gifted english 1 ty.

ty to all who replied.

A here i come!!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I Googled: why is m used for slope

and got lots of good hits, the first one being: www.library.uiuc.edu/mtx/library/FAQ/5B.html

Why is the variable m used for slope of a function?

A short history for the various variables used to represent slope can be found at: http://members.aol.com/jeff570/geometry.html

This site states that,

"It is not known why the letter m was chosen for slope; the choice may have been arbitrary. John Conway has suggested m could stand for "modulus of slope." One high school algebra textbook says the reason for m is unknown, but remarks that it is interesting that the French word for 'to climb' is monter. However, there is no evidence to make any such connection. Descartes, who was French, did not use m. In Mathematical Circles Revisited (1971) mathematics historian Howard W. Eves suggests 'it just happened.'"

This seems to be the general consensus.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i asked why, not if, slope is represented by an "M".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aah - MY BAD!

Try this one then:

http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/questionCorner/slopeorigin.html

Not a definitive answer - but it sounds good to me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ty, you guys are beastly. i should get help more offen, i mean i do have a test tommorow....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's silly. It's just a symbol. You can call it "b" if you want to, as in y = a + bx.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.math.duke.edu/...lope/Slopederiv.html

the wikipedia page tells you slope is m but not the history. here is one page of history of the selection of m as slope. looks like the answer is no one knows for sure. the common but incorrect answer is that descartes used m but he didn't.

I searched using the following 3 words: history slope m

learning to use the correct key words in searches is a useful skill.
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every math professor knows that 'm' stands for slope because when you ask a student what the slope of this line is the answer is inevitably "mmmm..."
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why the creepy pic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most widely accepted answer is the "m" stands for the French word "montar" (sp?)..which means "to climb"...rise over run thing...any way, I teach HS math and physics and every year offer the kids an extra credit point for the same question...although mathematicians debate this every year in dark room around the world, most agree that this is the most logical answer...

"Fortitudine vincimus"
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [runnin'grizzly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI "montar" is spanish, "monter" is french
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ty all for responding.

A, here i come :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can get an A in a math class for answering that question? in college????
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [FM.2.0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
high school. lol, i wish in college
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even in high school...
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [FM.2.0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: "you can get an A in a math class for answering that question? in college???? even in high school . . ."

The Evolution of Math: 1950-2006

Last week I purchased a PowerBar at the grocery store for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

The 2006 example could be construed as an ethnic slur, so I won't post it. The scenario was also edited for Slowtwitch correctness: the original involved purchasing a burger at Burger King for $1.58. And I consider myself an environmentalist before anyone jumps all over me for #5. I know how things go on Slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1. Teaching Math In 1950

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit? "

My math:

If he takes that profit and invests it into a 10 year deferred whole life joint annuity for him and his business partner with a payment that increases by 5% a year, payable until the death of the second life, what will be the insurance company's benefit reserve at policy year 15 if at least one partner is still alive?

And yes, my head explodes when I give the person at the drive through $5.03. I just want to scream, "Give me quarters back!" Or the guy I saw at a copy shop wanting 6 copies of a paper for 8 cents a copy. He asked for a calculator to figure out the price with.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Po-ta-toe, po-tah-toe. Ath-lete, ath-a-lete. It's all the same, isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: (OT) A Question for A Mathamatician [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
re: "you can get an A in a math class for answering that question? in college???? even in high school . . ."

The Evolution of Math: 1950-2006

Last week I purchased a PowerBar at the grocery store for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

The 2006 example could be construed as an ethnic slur, so I won't post it. The scenario was also edited for Slowtwitch correctness: the original involved purchasing a burger at Burger King for $1.58. And I consider myself an environmentalist before anyone jumps all over me for #5. I know how things go on Slowtwitch!

That's pretty good. True, also. I was teaching a freshmen (college) calculus class a few years ago. A student, using 9 steps of long division, on an exam, finally decided that 18000 divided by 6 was 3000. I wonder how long that calculation took?

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In college we don't get bonus point questions like that.

We get a couple of big exams in each class, and that's your grade.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next