Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions
Quote | Reply
I signed up for Ironman WI next year and I had a couple questions. While I don't condone cheating (drafting) I was wondering how strict the Marshals are in an Ironman Race. I can only imagine that there will always be packs of cyclist together and it isn't always easy to get away for people as you are just trying to hold your pace. I don't want to get a penalty nor do I want to get overly frustrated by people drafting me.

Also how do you manage your gps watch during the race day since it's so long. Do you have the GPS enabled throughout the swim, bike, run or just enable the gps function after the swim since the signal can't penetrate the water or do you just use it as stop watch so to speak so you know your overall time. I appreciate the help.
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [ndent5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndent5 wrote:
I signed up for Ironman WI next year and I had a couple questions. While I don't condone cheating (drafting) I was wondering how strict the Marshals are in an Ironman Race. I can only imagine that there will always be packs of cyclist together and it isn't always easy to get away for people as you are just trying to hold your pace. I don't want to get a penalty nor do I want to get overly frustrated by people drafting me.

Also how do you manage your gps watch during the race day since it's so long. Do you have the GPS enabled throughout the swim, bike, run or just enable the gps function after the swim since the signal can't penetrate the water or do you just use it as stop watch so to speak so you know your overall time. I appreciate the help.

What watch do you have? A 910xt can run from start to finish in an Ironman race, and will give you a track for your swim.
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 310xt and debating if I should go with the 910. I also heard the 910 only can get the SAT when your arm is out of the water and it is dependent on the firmware to smooth out the mapping. I am just nervous that the SAT connecting and disconnecting will run the battery dry before the end. Maybe I am just worrying to much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ndent5 wrote:
I have a 310xt and debating if I should go with the 910. I also heard the 910 only can get the SAT when your arm is out of the water and it is dependent on the firmware to smooth out the mapping. I am just nervous that the SAT connecting and disconnecting will run the battery dry before the end. Maybe I am just worrying to much.

The 910 is designed to do just what you are describing, and it does it well. The 17 hours is probably assuming somewhere around a 2 hours swim.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ndent5 wrote:
I have a 310xt and debating if I should go with the 910. I also heard the 910 only can get the SAT when your arm is out of the water
Yup, true
Quote:
and it is dependent on the firmware to smooth out the mapping.
Yup, it does
Quote:
I am just nervous that the SAT connecting and disconnecting will run the battery dry before the end.
Nope, it won't
Quote:
Maybe I am just worrying to much.
Yup, you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 310xt should last an entire Ironman. Wore mine at IMWI 2011 the entire race with GPS on and had juice to spare.
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [slorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a cheapy ironman watch on my right arm. That gives me my swim time.
I use Garmin 500 for the bike. I need to see my power data on the bike and like having it easy to see as I look down rather than having to look at my wrist constantly which can be dangerous at speed.
In T2 my Garmin 310 is in my shoe and I run with it out the shoot while powering it up and putting it on. You wont lose anytime running while doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [skinzylindsay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a regular old Timex watch on my right wrist for the swim. I end up leaving it on all day. In T1, I put on my old Garmin 305. I have it totally charged and in the "off" position. With about 1 hour left on the bike, I turn it on so it has plenty of time to link up with the satellites. While on the bike, I rely on my PT Joule for power/HR/time, etc. I start the 305 as I run out of T2 and use it for pace/HR/time. Works pretty well for me, except I am one of those people with two watches during the bike and the run.

I don't have much to offer on the drafting question, except don't worry about what people are doing behind you and stay 10m behind the rider(s) in front of you and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an Edge 500 on the bike and a Forerunner 305 on the run for my IM. I knew exactly what my time was in the race because both computers had a field on one of the screens that had the time of day. Of course now that the mass start is disappearing, this won't work so well any more....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 910 on my wrist the whole race. I have a 510 on my bike set to autopause @ 5mph so I have it turned on and it starts to record almost as soon as I'm on the bike. Once I'm on the bike, I only monitor the 510. Once I'm on the run, I monitor the 910. The 910 isn't on autopause for the bike or run so it records the whole race including the transitions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best race I ever had was when I forgot to bring my Garmin with me, I fretted and was trying to borrow a basic Timex or similar but to no avail.
I swam the swim a looked at the race clock when I got out of the water.
Rode the first lap of the bike then the second, again looked at the race clock.... damn, I was 20 min ahead of my expectations.
ran the run, as fast as I dared to, allowing the possibility that I may fail to keep it up, but prepared to back off a tad if necessary.
Finished with a 70 min PB.

since then, I'll sometimes race with a hrm, but leave the timer off or nothing at all.

btw, I have a 305 & 500 and in the one adventure race that I wore the 305 in, the battery died at 13 hrs.

but that my friend, is not an answer to your question.
Last edited by: Avago: Nov 20, 13 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [skinzylindsay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is my approach as well

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will always be cheaters, do your own race.

Your 310 will work just fine for the whole race. It was designed to do that.

Have a great race
Quote Reply
Re: (Ironman)Random GPS and Drafting Questions [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all of the pieces of advice. I will stick with the 310 and try to not worry myself about the others. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to imagine drafting will be far less of an issue at IMWI. The elevation changes are too frequent. But have to be alert about getting "bunched up" as speeds change.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply