Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(Bike fit) in the backseat of a rental car?
Quote | Reply
This may sound like a dumb question (remember I'm from NYC, poor triathlete/poets don't own cars here)...but, here goes: is it fairly easy to fit a tri bike with bullhorns in the back seat of a medium-size rental car? I imagine I'll be taking both wheels off...any other suggestions for safe transport back there? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Quote Reply
Re: (Bike fit) in the backseat of a rental car? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put a bike in the back seat. If you get grease or oil on the upholstery or tear it getting the bike in and out, the rental car company may charge you for it. I'd put my bike in the trunk and bags, if need be, in the back seat. If you take off both wheels, you should be able to fit a bike in the trunk. You may have to loosen your stem and turn it 90-degrees on the steerer tube to get your bars to lay flat.
Quote Reply
Re: (Bike fit) in the backseat of a rental car? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fold down the rear seats and put it in the trunk/backseat. I've easily fit my 61cm bike in the backseat of a 4 door chevy cavalier rental car with just taking the front wheel off.
Quote Reply
Re: (Bike fit) in the backseat of a rental car? [allezjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other good thing about only taking off the front wheel is that it keeps the the chain tight. This will help keep it from ever touching the carpet. Put it in drive-side up and with the rear wheel in first. I moved my bike for 2 years in the back of a 2 door CIVIC by laying down the backseat. Never even got grease on the carpet once!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike fits in the back seat of my toyota corolla (compact car) with only the front wheel off... as long as you put the bike in from the back left door, the drive train should never rub against the umphosltry...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our Passat, the back seats fold down so you've got access to the trunk space, and I just slide my tri bike in across back seat and trunk space, wheels on and all. I'd check with the rental agent to see if fold down backs are an option.

If you're worried about grease and grease stains, so far we've been using a heavy canvas painter's drop cloth to shield things, and haven't had any leakage problems so far.
Quote Reply
Re: (Bike fit) in the backseat of a rental car? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring a sheet or large beach towel to lay down over the seat to keep the grease off and the rental car people happy

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rent a compact. they have larger trunks than midsize cars. i've never had trouble fitting my bike in a compact, but couldn't get it into a cab, which was a crown vic!

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to keep my bike stored in the backseat of a old VW Baja Bug- aerobars and rear wheel still on. Shouldn't be a problem to fit it in the back of a rental. Use an old beach towel, tarp, or drop cloth to cover the seat. Worse case you take off the rear wheel also, being careful not to rest the weight on the rear derailler. Bikes also fit in trunks with both wheels off, or one wheel off and seat folded down.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply