Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'garage-ing' a bike - repair questions
Quote | Reply
Shit happens.
I bought my gf a new Synapse Carbon 5 Monday (she's a bike commuter.)
I drove it into the condo parking garage (height limited) Thursday - while it was strapped into my Thule Velo (fork-mounted) bike rack; neither of us in the car remembered it was up there...
Broke the bottom part of the front fork...
(I think the seat post might have got twisted too, and a brake lever twisted out of position, but I hear the brake lever should be an easy fix; seat post, if really torqued, would obviously be replaced. Bringing it in today to get a full-body scan.)

Have been informed by REI & an independent tri/bike store (run by my local triathlon team owners/coaches) that Cannondale doesn't replace just forks (well, doesn't replace the *exact* part that is currently on the bike (51, in lavender)), although they do have forks (of various colors) available; unfortunately this just isn't an acceptable solution for me.

I then asked REI (and Cannondale) if I could replace the fork+frame? Well it's Saturday and I have all weekend to wait, so I thought I'd ping ST to see if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing?
Am I out all that money because of the 1/2" piece that broke, or can I really get a replacement Synapse Carbon 5 frame+fork in lavender?
(And if a frame+fork is available, what's that likely to run me? $1k? What are typical labor charges these days to build a bike, switching parts from 1 to another?)
Maybe someone can confirm/deny my fears before Monday.

And what is the resale market like - anyone want a new Synapse Carbon 5, 51, multi-color? Perhaps it would be cheaper to get a replacement fork, sell it (if it's sell-able) and buy another Synapse?

Thanks ST!
Quote Reply
Re: 'garage-ing' a bike - repair questions [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be concerned about hidden damage to the frame. I did this years ago with a steel Eddy Merckx frame and replaced a twisted fork as well as having to have the frame straightened. Couldn't tell the frame was bent right away, looked okay to the untrained eye. I would vote for replacing frame, fork and seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: 'garage-ing' a bike - repair questions [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.
I'm down for replacing the fork+frame (and I think the seatpost.)
Just wondering if I can get the same frame that I bought, and how long it will take?
Heading to REI soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get everything on insurance, then pay for a respray in whatever colour you want.
Oh and keep the bike in the car....
Quote Reply
Re: 'garage-ing' a bike - repair questions [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait - what?
You can get bikes repainted?
I hadn't considered that option.
Who does this? How long does it take?

Insurance? I doubt they cover idiot drivers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the big deal, find out the correct fork rake and purchase an aftermarket carbon fork for about $200, swap the crown race from the old one and cut the steer tube down. Something like an Easton EC 70 would be fine.

Repainting the bike would not be a good idea, it's expensive and time consuming and requires that you strip the bike of parts and ship it off.

If you examine the frame and it's not chipped or cracked, just deal with the fork and get on with life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends where you are... My local. Guys are paint my bike brisbane.. Take a look on google... A fork colour match is cheap maybe a couple hundred dollars....
Full frame and fork 6 to 700 dollars...
Get interesting g and you can run up over a grand...
Mine is the matte clear over ghost pearl graphics Look. 695 with baby blue inside the stays.... It was exe co of the stem Nd cranks and seat tube all had to be done too ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insurance absolutely covers idiot drivers. But try renters/homeowners first, not car insurance. I have a friend who basically did the same thing as you, she made a claim with her homeowners. She got enough where she was actually able to upgrade her bike - I believe they gave her the full replacement cost of the newest model of the bike (hers was 2-3 years old at the time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Australia - did same recently. Bike into carport roof :(
I wanted to just replace the fork but bike shop wouldn't guarantee the repair due to possible hidden damage.
I was able to claim the bike back on my home insurance as "accidental damage to portable contents" - limited to $1000 because I hadn't specifically listed that particular bike (15 years old). I had to get it assessed by a bike shop - they assessed it as needing new fork, new frame, new handlebars etc, total of $1400 so the insurance were happy to pay out.
Car insurance covered the damage to the roof racks and bike carrier (write off) as well as the damage to the tailgate of the car.
All up, by the time I paid all the excess ("deductibles" for the US), and got a cheap frame and some new bits and built it up myself, I came out maybe $50 ahead.
So definitely worth trying to claim on your insurance.

Hopefully you can just buy a new fork, or new fork and frame set and put all the bits on. Headset being the hardest, bottom bracket requires a special tool but everything else is fairly easy and needs allen keys or screwdrivers.

good luck.
Quote Reply