Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'critique my fit'
Quote | Reply
Ok here it is. After posting pics of the new bike it was suggested that I post riding pictures to assess my riding postion. Not true riding but at least movement captured at 16 pics per .4 sec. Thanks for all the interest and advise.

Quote Reply
Re: 'critique my fit' [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No good. I will be over tommorow morning to pick my new bike up.
I think you need to look up more to get helmet more inline with back. The head position is good when you need only to look 5' in front of you. Also I cant see how extended your left foot is. It really might seem that your seat is to high. other then that it is time to take the kids holloween decor down and put up their 4th of July art projects. At the very least the last Easters drawings.

Quote | Reply
Way too stretched out. Move the seat forward and/or shorten the stem. Also, it's hard to judge seat height w/o a good pic of the near leg at full extension.

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Norm
do you have a block under your front wheel? it looks a bit like your low in front? so it's hard to tell from the photos, but go out and get a new aero halmet just that will help but think you look good. are you setting it up for TT's or Tri's?
Dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too stretched, shift your elbows back a bit (roughly over the stem cap); you may want pads that go back further behind the base bar for this. With that head position, go with a shorter tail helmet like the newer LG Crono. The old LG helmet you have sticks up a lot more than the newer LGs and Giros.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rotate your images 2.5 degrees counter clockwise. either the perspective is off, or you need a block under your front wheel. I dropped the image into a cad program I have and you're "bow down" by 2.5degrees (sorry, I'm a naval architect).
Last edited by: troysk: Jun 5, 09 19:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what distance do you want critiqued?

for a TT, you are exposing way too much torso to the wind. elbows pretty wide, arms possibly down depending on how much the image needs to be rotated up, big o' giant parachute negating any benfit of frame.

no matter the distance, based on these few images, you might want to work on keeping your knees in more, less wind exposure. teh two images from the front indicate that as you push down, your knees head out. those same photos show, as mentioned above, your elbows are too wide, ie wider than anything behind them.(depth of field problem?)
Quote Reply
Re: 'critique my fit' [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 No I don't have a block so back is jacked up on trainer. Head postion is down. On the road I tend to look up and spot and then drop head down otherwise neck gets to fatigued.
Quote Reply
Re: 'critique my fit' [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  I can see that. It is tough. Between the closer chest leg postion and trying to bring my arms in it starts feeling very consritictive for breathing. Old postion was way way slack compared to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the standout image for you is the frontal. Imagine what the air "sees"? A giant scoop created by the downward slope of your forearms scooping the air right into your midsection. I realize the lower front end in the picture only enhances this idea, but even leveled I think you could benefit from a lightly titling upwards of your extensions. This will help close the scoop. In addition it will help solve some of your "stretched out"'edness :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike is sooo pretty. I know that doesn't help you but it needs to be said again.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No I don't have a block so back is jacked up on trainer. Head postion is down. On the road I tend to look up and spot and then drop head down otherwise neck gets to fatigued.
+1
Get the bike leveled first, then you at least have the weight distribution for the present setup. with the front dropped/rear raised, your weight is shifted forward further complicating any ST web-fit.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am lazy right now so I haven't read any of the other posts.

1. You look stretched. Is this how you usually ride? Under race conditions you will most likely ride more on the nose of the saddle which will eat up some of your reach.
2. Get a phone book or a $15 wheel block.
3. Maybe remove some of the spacers under the armrests. Your arm looks like it is at an awkward angle from the armrest to the tip of the extensions.
4. When adding pics to your post leave a space between each picture. That way they will be posted vertically instead of horizontally.

Nice ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is that a serious comment? Looking at the photos, you appear to be more in a crit pack position than a compressed TT position. Your legs don't look like they come anywhere close to your chest. Perception is not necessarily your friend. This goes for the restrictive breathing as well. I and many others can probably attest that riding "all squished up" does not impair breathing much, if at all. What I can say about breathing feeling constrictive from a personal level is the following, it doesn't happen to me in the aero position until I try to push 400+ watts for too long, then it feels like I can not get enough air in(long deep dragging breaths), but I can keep riding while breathing that way until my legs quit(which isn't very long). That said, if I try to push 400+ watts in a bolt upright position for too long, same thing happens.

What method have you used to actually measure the effect of this perceived constriction. Sometimes people are afraid to try new things because of all of the lore they have heard and imagine it must be happening. Not that any lore ever gets posted on this forum :)

Now the disclaimer............your actual experience may vary..................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not tensing your arms enough for the photos.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: 'critique my fit' [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, your right it is my perception. There is no way to measure it. The bike is new the position is new what I can adapt to remains to be seen. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. I have power output measurement on the trainer but I'm riding outside now and haven't experimented with position/power. The true drag that different positions cause I'll never know without going into a wind tunnel which I have no plans on doing so I'm just trying to glean useful observations and tips from knowledgeable people. I'm trying to get an idea of where I should go from hear then see if I can and see if I do better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm, I'm a little more merciful than some of the other posters.... I think some of the 'noise' you're getting is because of the difficulty in evaluating what we're seeing due to the front end being lowered. We also don't see any side photos with the closest leg extended. Trying to figure it out from what I can see of your far leg, it does look like you might have a 90 degree hip angle, or close. What this means is that you do not want to drop your handlebars lower without also moving your seat forward to maintain at least that hip angle.

The stretched out arms are not textbook, but it works for some....for instance I've just gone back to a slightly stretched arm position since it affords me the ability to:
1) breath better
2) get my elbows closer due to large arms/chest muscles
3) get the elbow pads out of the way of my knees

It's all about compromises and most of the criticisms in this thread are due to the fact that you are being advised as to the textbook perfect fit...keep in mind as you consider those posts that you need to make compromises due to your personal situation in regard to body type.

It would help to see a few more photos with your bike levelled.
Can your seat be moved forward 1"? That alone would improve your fit.
Quote Reply