Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'beater' wheelset
Quote | Reply
How much would you pay for a 'beater'/everyday training wheelset? Something at a bigger guy is not going to be poppong spokes out of every other ride, and preferrably something that does not weigh in over 4lbs w/o the tires.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: 'beater' wheelset [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a penny more than it would cost me to replace my easton vistas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not more then $400. Just keep and eye out on ebay or here.

I got my ksyriums SSL for like $250 used, and my Neuvations for like $350
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should be able to get something in the $100 range without a problem. spend a little more and go new. mavic open pros are pretty basic and put a ton of spokes on there and they're pretty bombroof. Or go for a lower end ksyrium used, probably $200, pretty solid.
what does it matter if they weight more than 4lbs if they're a set of training wheels? heavier the better, makes the race wheels all that much faster.

"The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed" - Lloyd Jones

http://www.2BePro.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on my experience wih my Easton Circuits...I gotta believe the hype about the Easton Vista's.

At $160 for a pair (wow)...you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. http://www.jensonusa.com/...roduct/WH402B00.aspx

The Vista SL's can be found for sub $200.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25350/ Ultegra, CXP-33 Black Rear 700c $128 Ultegra, CXP-33 Black Front 700c $107
$235 plus ship, can't beat that with a stick.
the CXP is a little deeper rim so the aero will make up for the weight

Re: 'beater' wheelset [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have beaten on my vistas for 2 plus years and they are perfect. There have been several extended dirt/snow/gravel road incidents (really need to get an area map that shows which roads are dirt). Weighed 190 plus when I got them 185 now. Seem to be bombproof.
Quote Reply
Re: 'beater' wheelset [cornellrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason i want then to be reasonabley light is that they are for my roadie and doing group rides where we frequently do sprints. While I know it is only a local group I still don't want a normally sub 15lb bike sporting wheels that are better than 1/3 its weight. I know that there are many here that think a light bike (even a roadie) is a really silly thing, but then I also believe a really light bike with a lead in the wheels is silly too.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: 'beater' wheelset [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming weight doesn't matter... You can sometimes find 36 hole hubs more that 50% off. I have an Ultegra fr, D/A rr, Velocity deep v rims, 14 ga 3 cross set that a friend built. $210 total. I like the extra weight for winter when I can't get as many hours on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i feel you, but you know what's even better than having a totally tricked out 15lb bike on winter group rides? a heavy ass ridiculously monstrous 32 spoke wheelset that everyone knows weights a ton and throwing down with all the guys who train on zipps. it's a great feeling at a storestop when someone is looking at the bike/wheels and you walk out and they realize "you're that guy who just dusted the front runners without the race setup"

"The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed" - Lloyd Jones

Quote Reply
Re: 'beater' wheelset [cornellrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some Mavic CXP-33s (33spk) with Ultegra hubs. They were like 225.00 and I bunny hop them, crash them, go off curbs and potholes, never once had to true them. And I kick peoples asses with them all the time. I also love dropping the hammer on posers with 10,000 dollar bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 'beater' wheelset [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's what i'm talking about! it's great having an awesome race bike, but nothing like heading out on a winter ride, with a borrowed 10year old downtube shifter and dropping the hammer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
performance bike does dura ace open pro 32H wheels for $299 a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"a really light bike with a lead in the wheels is silly too"
depends on what you're doin' with it.
my winter wheels are mavic open pro with 36spoke, tied and soldered spokes, conti gator skin 25c tires, Mr Tuffy liners, chorus hubs. i'll worry about throwin' down in the spring.
'course we're talking winter here in bermuda. it went below 60* last week, my feet froze.

Quote | Reply
Ultegra + CXP-33 + 32 DT Swiss 14/15 spokes and fughedaboudit. Bombproof and should come in ~$250.
Quote Reply