Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
'bandit' a century ride?
Quote | Reply
There is a century I want to do this weekend and its sold out...if I ride totally 100% self supported, what do you think? In the past no police at intersections/roads closed...
it's a great route
maybe I'd be better off doing it the day before and following the cues myself? just wonder if there is some 'etiquette' here I am missing
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the roads closed to traffic/public use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will play Devil's Advocate a bit here:

There is a reason that the ride has a max participant limit. Sure, a lot of it has to do with aid stations (assuming there are any) and the supplies necessary to support the riders. So, if you are completely self-sufficient, you are not draining that resource.

However, I would be willing to be there are a host of other reasons for the cap. While all the roads may not be closed and every intersection may not have police, I would be willing to be there is some law enforcement support. In addition, in order to obtain permits from the various municipalities, I would be willing to be the organizers had to place limits on the numbers. Insurance for the event likely relies on numbers as well. Finally, those who actually paid for the ride have a reasonable expectation that they will only be surrounded by so many other riders.

By banditing the ride, you are disrupting those factors (and many more I am likely overlooking). Sure, 1 additional rider likely makes no difference, but, what about 10 or 25 or 50 ...

From an etiquette standpoint, IMO, totally uncool. From a legal standpoint, you are likely placing the event in jeopardy. (Again, not "you" as 1 additional rider, but, where does it stop?)

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion.. if you are NOT partaking in ANY support of ANY kind and the roads are fully open to traffic. I see no reason why someone should not follow a course.
That being said.. perhaps doing it the day before or day after, as the roads will still have their markings, would be of better etiquette.

When presented with an option, always take the high road, unless you can care less of your reputation.
Last edited by: jbsurfin: Sep 15, 11 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triLA wrote:
maybe I'd be better off doing it the day before and following the cues myself? just wonder if there is some 'etiquette' here I am missing

That's what I would do. If you are just doing it for the route with no support, it's better not to have a thousand other people swerving around you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a century ride for charity? or a century ride/race? don't bandit, it's not cool.

if it's just 100 unsupported miles on a bike you are looking for, that is offered um-teen million times throughout the US on a daily basis for free!

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do it in the opposite direction and wave at all of them.
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you truly ride 100% self supported, do not set foot into one of the aid stations/start/finish, or use any of the port-o-pottys then I wouldn't have an issue with it. I don't understand doing it, but I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Some rides actually have checkpoints for bracelets to prevent bandits.
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to do it at the Collingwood Centurion on Sunday! I will be totally self supported though!! I don't see a problem with it seeing as it is on public road/hwy? I pay my taxes and I ride the roads all the time and have a right to do so. The org did not rent the road or close the road for their riders, they only got permission/ permits to hold there event on the roads. I won't be at the start line, take any awards, get an official time, medal or aid, that is what the riders pay for to ride the event! ...I'm just going out on my weekly long ride which happens to be on one of my riding routes! ; )
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I happened by luck to do exactly that, only on a 40M stretch. Although I am always polite and wave to each rider I come across, I was really fed up at the end ;-)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the roads are completely open to the public, and most likely they are, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you do not partake of the aid or nutrition stations, etc. And if you really want to get out of the grey area, start well before or after the official start of the event. Really, what's the difference between you and the schlub who might happen to be riding out there that same day and has no knowledge of the century ride? Nothing. Should that person immediately suspend his ride and call it a day? Of course not.
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points-that's how I was thinking...hmmm....public roads, etc...but then again ride capped.....so I will either do it the day before, or start VERY early Sunday---both says look great weather wise so think I'll opt for Sat. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triLA wrote:

Yes, you would and yes, you are.

As a former century coordinator perhaps I can add some insight. Call your city/county government and tell them that you and 10 friends are planning to go on a bike ride - they'll tell you to have a nice day and don't bother calling them again. Call them and tell them that you and 1000 friends are planning a ride - they'll tell you to bring a $1000 deposit, proof of insurance, and they'll initiate a four month permit process for your event. Repeat that process for every major city/county you travel through. Bottom line is that, especially in a metropolitan area, there can be a lot of work and expense behind the scenes to create an event. I've spent $3-$5/rider and only have a handful of signed documents to show for it.

While I'm on the subject of $$ going out the window, I'm sure you understand that not all motorists are happy to see 1000 riders impeding their progress and littering/relieving themselves on their property. Some of them write letters to the editor and attend city council meetings. To counter this I have to create some goodwill, e.g. positive press, usually through donations to local civic organizations.

If the event fee is $30/rider, I'll spend half of that on food and food delivery, $10 has gone to create the event and $5 is our profit. I understand that a lot of riders don't need or want to pay for food on an organized ride and I've proposed a non-supported rider category for the events I've been involved with. It never received much support but I still believe that some form of discounted fee is the best way to accommodate more experienced riders.

I hope this is helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [PhilDBasket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. So what do you recommend if you are just out riding your normal route which turns out that day to be included as part of an organized century ride?
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [jgp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pay my taxes and I ride the roads all the time and have a right to do so.

You can say that about a lot of things that are not courteous like driving the speed limit in the fast lane or taking the entire lane with your bike. Are you going to tell people you are riding with that you are a bandit but you pay taxes? What is your purpose? Why not just ask the ride director if it is OK?

Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:
Thanks for the information. So what do you recommend if you are just out riding your normal route which turns out that day to be included as part of an organized century ride?

You enjoy your ride. That's different than planning to ride the same route and at the same time as an organized century ride.

I've been a ride marshall for the Coast the Coast (MS in NJ) 170 mile ride for the better part of two decades. Part of what I do, besides fixing flats and stuff, is ensuring that everyone on the ride obeys the road laws, wears a helmet, and other things that are necessary for the charity event to be allowed to ride through towns in the future. The last thing I need is bandits who I can't tell from registered riders.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My company is helping produce a marathon this weekend. Yesterday I got an email from a person that is planning their long run on the same day and partially on the race route. They wanted to make sure they didn't get in the way of the runners or take away from the expierence for anyone. They even sent me a file of their planned route and offered to run someplace else

I wish all athletes were that considerate.

Next time you are doing a race, do you want a bandit possibly taking away from your day/experience just becasue they can?

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tacky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just show up on Saturday or Sunday in Morristown, New Jersey and go straight to the Reg table to see if you can still register. They might take you in, last minute.

If not... then good luck in whatever decision you make.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [PhilDBasket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The insurance aspect is immaterial. If you need to have insurance coverage, it only applies to your entrants - you're not liable for every Tom, Dick and Harry out on the road that day, unless it's a closed course obviously. I've never done a paid cycling event (casual, not races) that had any law enforcement assistance or any closed roads.

I don't really see the point in banditing the entire course, other than to be a cheapskate. I've bandited parts of long rides, like CTK, because I was doing a ride that day anyway, but didn't want to do the entire course. It's nice to ride with different types of people and chat up new folks, that's half of what makes cycling so enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok WHOA I said I was NOT going to do it-settle down!
just wanted some different points of view--thnx!
Quote Reply
Re: 'bandit' a century ride? [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:

Just ride your route as planned. I'm here in NorCal and my typical routes are part of one century or another almost every weekend (this weekend it's the Echelon Grand Fondo). I just do my thing; not gonna get kicked off "my" roads every time there's an event. Likewise, I don't use their support (porta potties, food stops, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do it. Roads are open and free - and you pay for them with your taxes. You merely can't get support and you won't be covered by the high-deductible insurance so if you get hurt you can sue them.

I am of the camp that it's cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see an issue with it, as long as you're completely self sufficient. Problem is, you can't guarantee that. What if you get into an accident with somebody? What if you just go down solo - and the emergency crews are there to aid/help riders in the event that need rescue. Then you're really not being self sufficient. Lucky, yes. But not independent (unless you decline help). Even then, they're responding to you, when perhaps they should be responding to somebody else that paid to be in the event.

Not attacking - just wondering "what if"....

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next