Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo)
Quote | Reply
I got hold of this a couple of weeks ago. It's an original 1992 series 1 Zipp 2001 frame. It needs some love and a tidy up so it's currently being stripped and sanded down for a new respray, decals and a complete rebuild using a load of bling parts. Possibly black with a gold decal. It won't replace my P3c but it will get some airings during summer. I'll post photo's as this project develops.............
Bryce.
Last edited by: UK Gear Muncher: Jan 16, 08 2:25
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks brand new!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [Hornet Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surface wise it is very good but the a layer of white paint has been badly applied and the Allsop beam has some scuffing. Both will be sorted.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Zipp 2001......Great bike!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black and Gold would be very 80's...go titanium or glossy silver to match the beam...that would be sweet.

Looks like you have a winner there, it will be interesting to see the progress.

Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's an early one. Not a whole bunch were made, even fewer with a Softride beam.

I would try and find a more period appropriate fork. Nah, the period appropriate forks were Kinesis non-aero aluminium. But a Profile Julie is basically what was on the Zipp 2001 when they did a carbon fork.

What would be sweet is if you found the appropriate brake for the front. Yes, 3001's had the Zipp front brake, as well. Is that a Zipp brake on there that I see?

Try and find some 3000 tri spokes. Yes, they only can do an 8 speed screw-on block, but that would be the sweet wheel set for this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I was looking on Zipps website last night and found their old product catalogue from 1992 and they only made this version for a year before they changed the beam to arguably the more stylish (but slightly more common) version. I doubt there are many others of these out there. The shame is the 3001 came with the fancy aero front brake but the first 2001 did not although this one does have the zipp rear brake.

I think black will go well with the beam and despite the period needs, a set of gold nokons might look nice as a finishing touch.
Last edited by: UK Gear Muncher: Jan 16, 08 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep the Allsop beam for originality. Unless, it won't take your weight or the later model can't be fitted.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's a 3001 for sale in Denver for $750 (complete bike). I thought about it, and it could be fun to mess around on, but unfortunately there are other priorities. I had a NZ made softride bike in the 90's, I think someone in the family still has it.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can't be switched even if I could get the later one. I'll have to wait a bit longer til someone offers me their 3001. I saw a great one when i bought this - late 1997 3001 with carbon weave pattern and full aero brakes. That really was something........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that 650c?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope 700c large frame, large beam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an uncle who has an all original 1993 Zipp 2001 with original Zipp 3000 wheels, all white.
He's barely even rode it and is in perfect condition, just hanging in his garage.
I even has the mechanical seat shuttle, which allows you to move the seat foward/backward while on the move, and original raised up Syntace aerobars and dropped basebar.
It's like an untouched classic.

I'll try to get pictures up later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's my kitchen that is ;)

Xav

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sir,

That bike is dying for a 10mile Fixed TT set up. Why bother with the fluffy stuff.

mount the rear brake up front and don't use a rear at all.

some old Roval front wheel and a flat track disc. Scott100K bars w/ Superman position.

175mm Magic Motorcycle Track cranks.

done.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man....I LUSTED after one of these when they were made. NOTHING...not even the very lusty, new-fangled Litespeeds...got my blood running more...

Black. Gold anodized parts. Carbon where you can. Update everything to 2008 standards... Get a custom black and gold Fizik if they'll make one...Find some flashy gold and/or black shoes...

Put a small dollop of red in there somewhere...maybe the "2001"...just a SMALL detail...

All black kit...and helmet.

Gold chrome Oakleys...

And a tan...

Either that or leave it as-is, slap a set of 32 spoke box section tubie rims on there and smoke the competition.... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that initially but didn't pursue it and I have a spare track disc (as you do) kicking around i could use but the rear spacing is obviously out.

Dave, is there a way to convert a corima track disc to fit this easily ?

When you think about it, a fixed gear set up would look very clean and minimalist. Hmm..........
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. I like your thinking on this.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest Xav, you should really get your late model 3001 posted on here. That the best looking bike I have ever seen. You should have sold me that one too ;)

Bryce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha it's a shame the forks are rubbish though :)

I will post the 3001 eventually but need to finish building it with the kit that I want, so still about a month to go. I might post the brakes at least to show people what they look like

I think the 2001 might flex too much for a fixed setup, as you'll be out of the saddle a fair bit - have you built and ridden it yet? You've got to, it's awesome!

Xav

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, its currently in our uni workshops being rubbed down between when i'm lecturing. It's going to be black with gold decals and parts probably. I'm not sure on the fixey thing. Provided the gear isn't too big it might be fun to try. I'll keep thinking about one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a picture of the carbon brake for those interested:

Xav

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm a big fan of these frames, too. and did not realize/know the zipp 2001 was offered with in any other configuration than the "beam" set up-

having said that, i'm always looking for replacement/spare parts and wanting to purchase:

1.) front/rear wheel carbon brake assembly

2.) carbon fork

3.) small beam

4.) saddle bracket that affixes to beam
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you share/give me contact information for 3001 zipp that's for sale in denver?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Pimp My Ride': An original 1992 Zipp 2001 series 1 (photo) [rudder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 3 and 4....let me go looking (May have chucked 4)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply

Prev Next