Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs?
Quote | Reply
My Powerbeam Pro is completely useless with constant dropouts. Expect it's wifi interference as I live in Hong Kong and there must be 30+ networks available in my apartment - that said my Powertap never, ever drops out nor do any of our Garmin products.
I'm now on my third resistance unit since I bought it (luckily Cyclops has good customer service, sigh, I guess they need to) and was wondering if there's anyway to wire up the resistance unit to a USB out?

If not, guess it's back to my ancient Cyclops fluid trainer and toss the Powerbeam in the bin.

Quote | Reply
Get a long USB extender cable and use it to place your ANT+ dongle dead on top of the ANT+ antenna of the powerbeam. Probably the best place to start.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
was wondering if there's anyway to wire up the resistance unit to a USB out?
:) How about adding a small Faraday cage around the resistance unit then run a USB extension to with ANT+ USB antenna inside the cage?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 The usb extension cable helped me some with dropout issues with TrainerRoad and its cheap to try so go that route first.

http://www.amazon.com/...=usb+extension+cable

But it turned out my laptop was having some computer issues and that ended up being cause of some of the drops too.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have an extension cable arriving Monday so will see. But I can put my laptop right next to the resistance unit /sender and have the exact same issues.

Quote | Reply
So tried it with the generic Amazon USB extender cable. Dropouts seemed slightly worse. Have cycled through every channel on router, tried shutting off every light/wifi/anything electrical in house, USB cable, different Ant+ dongles, different laptops. Nothing works.

So tired of this trainer - had it for over a year now and probably have had two months where it functioned in any form. Going to go back to my old fluid while I'm waiting for my Trutrainer rollers to arrive.

Quote | Reply
Have you tried moving the stick to a different USB port on the computer? Interference from an Ethernet cable or the HDMI cable was causing issues for me until I moved the ant stick to the front port. Also, disabling the WIFI on the machine can help
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have you tried moving the stick to a different USB port on the computer? Interference from an Ethernet cable or the HDMI cable was causing issues for me until I moved the ant stick to the front port. Also, disabling the WIFI on the machine can help

Yes, I've tried it in all USB ports on two laptops (Mac and PC), with WiFi disabled and no other cables connected. Made sure my phone in flight mode. Different rooms in the house. Still useless.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
The usb extension cable helped me some with dropout issues with TrainerRoad and its cheap to try so go that route first.
http://www.amazon.com/...=usb+extension+cable

Slight increase in number of drop outs using that very cable. Beyond tired of this thing.

Quote | Reply
Wow - I think you are absolutely right then and it's a trainer issue... or you have a metal plate in your head
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
metal plate in your head

That would help with all the banging my head against the wall! I've gone through 3 resistance units, this is the first one that works at all. The first two were completely inoperable. Unless someone here has a new idea, this goes in the bin.

Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
Quote:
metal plate in your head

That would help with all the banging my head against the wall! I've gone through 3 resistance units, this is the first one that works at all. The first two were completely inoperable. Unless someone here has a new idea, this goes in the bin.

Have you tried a new ANT+ stick with the USB extension cable? I'd put it close, but not touching it.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have you tried a new ANT+ stick with the USB extension cable? I'd put it close, but not touching it.

Yes, I've tried this with no improvement at all.

Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I've tried this with no improvement at all.

Sounds like the transmitter inside the trainer is bad. Was that replaced as well? Also, have you tried a variety of head units? Garmin Edge, ANT+ Stick, Forerunner, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Hard wire' a wireless trainer to avoid drop outs? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sounds like the transmitter inside the trainer is bad. Was that replaced as well? Also, have you tried a variety of head units?

I am on my third resistance unit, which includes the transmitter. This third one is at least, kinda, functional. I have a Joule GPS, have tried a friend's Joule as well, a Garmin and multiple laptop combos. All have the same issue.

I think it must be wireless interference, but it still bothers me that all head units/laptops perfectly receive my Powertap signal with no dropouts. There must be something about the Powerbeam transmitter or protocol that is not as robust.

Especially annoying as I've thrown good money after bad trying to solve the problem (eg. shipping the first resistance unit back to Saris, USB cable, Ant+ dongle). I'm quite looking forward to having a dumb trainer and being done with all this crap - I can just get on and ride.

Quote | Reply
Sounds like getting a second hand Computrainer :-) , all wired set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For testing: Get some aluminum foil. Make a tent with only the ANT+ USB Stick and cable coming in, and the trainer resistance unit. See if you have any different results. This would block any interference from coming in.
Quote Reply