Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Cross Primer
Quote | Reply
New to cyclocross this year . . . and have my first race this weekend. I have been practicing my dismounts but need some input.

I use Eggbeaters and have them set up so the right clip releases easier. I believe that I am proficient and understand how to swing my right leg over the bike and insert it between my left left and the bike so that my right leg hits the ground first when I begin to run; however, I have a devil of a time getting the left clip to release. I talked to a local pro about it and he said the unclip the left first and rest on the pedal while swinging my leg over. But this seems like a recipe for disaster in a race. I also asked if I should change the clips on the shoes so the left clip release with more ease. I was told that would not be a good idea.

What to the experts think?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No expert here but 4 seaons of cross racing and that would scare the beejesus out of me. I don't think I could do all that heading into a barrier at 20 mph. I would hit it at full speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've never had eggbeaters so I'm not familiar with the feel of their release. I have always used spds (not b/c they're the best but b/c they're what I've got). I've never had trouble getting my left foot out but you can adjust the release tension. Is it b/c you're nervous that you can't clip out? I would definitely set the left one to release easier if that's how you've got to do it. if you get stuck on the left you're eating barrier. I don't think I'd feel safe unclipping my left first either but to each his own.

Are you racing kisscross? I love those. remember to post a rr with pics!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what do you do then? The dismount is no different than what I do coming into T2, except that my foot is out of my shoe and resting on top.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is kisscross. And yes, I am nervous that I will not unclip and eat the barrier. I don't know that I can adjust the release tension on Eggbeaters. This is my first non-Speedplay pedal. I will try to reverse the clips and see if that helps.

However, the wisdom of unclipping the left first (or just not last) seems to be valid; otherwise the left foot in quite twisted and must recover quickly before touching the ground . . . seems like a twisted ankle could result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a pretty standard cross dismount. I always unclip the left first. Most shoes have a nice place where you can rest the pedal next to the cleat. Then when it is time to dismount you don't have to worry about unclipping while you step off the pedal. Just practice it a few times and you'll find that it is a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to use the "step through" method of dismount, you really need to unclip the left side first and rest the center of your shoe on the pedal. If your shoes don't have rubber in that area, carve some out of an old tire and glue the rubber in the middle of the shoe behind the cleat. Don't merely unclip and let your cleat rattle around near the pedal. If you inadvertantly click back in, you are screwed. In other words, your local pro is absolutely right.

Start by just practicing unclipping the left side and riding with your weight on the left foot. Then practice stepping through as you feel more comfortable. Then go to the full dismount at speed (if you are already proficient at stepping through and stepping off)

Most of the belgians do the "behind the leg" dismount. That is they bring their right leg back behind the left let and dismount. some of them get out of their pedals before they swing their leg over, and some don't.

I think it is much safer to unclip the left foot first. I've seen plenty of 'cross newbies go rolling into barriers because they didn't unclip in time.

You should be at speed 15 meters before the barrier (at least) and have your leg over and ready to dismount 10 meters before the barrier. be of the bike at 3-5 meters so that you can hit the barriers at a dead run.

The key to a good 'cross race is the meticulous preservation of momentum. an abrupt stop right at the barriers will disrupt your "flow." Be set up for the dismount with plenty of time so that you can hit the barriers at full speed when you get off. smoother is faster.

You will blow by the people who wait until the last minute to jump off the bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about it that way I guess that is true enough but I think I am more secure with my foot planted squarely on the top of the shoe on a fairly even surface. I don't have a bunch of others heading into a fairly confined place on rough ground.

Here is my barrier drill. I have been told it looks smooth but I have also been told I look like I have a mental disability as well.

As I approach I get a few good pedal cranks to keep my speed up. Then as I get within 5 yards or so I unclip the right standing on the left and at the last second I step through with the right (between bike and left leg) in a running motion and make the hop. It is basically what you said you did so nothing new there. I just leave my left clipped in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmmmmmm, might be time to rethink my approach reading some of the other responses. We are having a Tues night series here so hopefully I will get to race a ton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to race the NC cross series this fall (and winter, now that I am no longer a northerner). I am unclear on the leg swing over. Do you do it like a normal dismount and plant your right foot behind the left? This scares me at high speed. I guess I should practice it a couple of times.

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told it is faster to do the step through but I have been known to step behind as well.

I need to go watch Will Black local cross stud a few times.

20 days til CROSS! wooohoooo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. This is where 'cross helped my tri transitions. I used to just hop off the bike and the left foot hit first. However, this has a tendency for the back of the bike to "rear up." It seems strange at first to insert the right leg between the bike and your left leg - and your right leg hitting the ground first - but it makes the process so much smoother and you maintain your momentum . . . if I could just get the left foot unclipped properly. I really like the idea of making a rubber platform on the shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [boone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shoes do you use? I use the Sidi Dominator and I don't think I know what place you are referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [jonnyquest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great advice - thanks! That old tire trick seems like it will be the ticket. Do you know why the conventional wisdom with Eggbeaters is to have the right clip be the one that is easier to unclip?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - what sweet road rig did you get? I am in the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I've never heard of people making the right pedal looser. Possibly in the context of pedals with independent springs for disengagement...

With the right pedal, you need to be able to engage as smoothly and quickly as possible. Really proficient 'crossers can hop back on (no hop on left leg) and have the right pedal/shoe engaged in one very fluid motion.

I use crank brothers candies. I don't do anything to the spring tension.

The most important thing is to practice hopping on and off.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [jonnyquest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that you can make it "looser." And if you use Crank Brothers pedals we likely have the same type of clips on the shoe itself. One of the two clips causes the shoes to disengage at less of an angle of rotation. I was told to put this clip on the right shoe. This was intriguing to me so I confirmed it in the docs with the product. However, it did not suggest a shoe for placement. Go figure?
Last edited by: Trianthes: Sep 13, 06 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are overthinking it. Seriously. Don't loosen pedals (that just increases the likelihood of pre-releasing in technical sections).

I'd also be careful to get too dogmatic about the "right foot between the crank and left foot" mantra. There are plenty of situations where you'll actually drop your right foot BEHIND the left foot (base of run-ups that include an off-camber turn is just one example). There are even a few instances where the best dismount on the drive side.

Here's the deal...Once in a while you will fail to release cleanly and you might tumble (don't sweat it). In general, you'll release if you are AGGRESSIVE in attacking the barriers (think about attacking and you will release).

It won't hurt to have your brakes run "moto" so that you can scrub last second speed with your rear tire as well (particularly if you've got chicken-levers).

Good luck,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal...

- Don't unclip your left foot before you swing your leg over. Really, really bad advice, and no, the "euro pros" do not do this. Total nonsense.

- Don't worry too much about cleat tension. That isn't the problem here.

The big secret to making sure you can unclip is this; don't step down with the left leg - ever. Especially with the "step through" dismount, what you are looking to do is this:

- Sight dismount, and modulate speed.

- Swing your right leg over the saddle, and "step through" between left leg and frame.

- Right hand moves from bar to top tube.

- Plant the right side of your ass/thigh against the top tube to stabilize bike.

- coast in to dismount.

- twist out of left pedal, and drop to the ground. DO NOT STEP THROUGH/DOWN WITH THE RIGHT LEG!!!!! What you need to do is simply unclip and drop straight down. You will land in the correct position (with practice,) and momentum/body position will bring your forward leg to the ground first without necessitating a "stepping" motion.

- Pick up bike, and either shoulder or hoist over barrier.

The reason most people have trouble unclipping during the dismount is that they try to step through/down, and in so doing twist their left leg, applying off-axis torque to the pedal interface, thus multiplying the force necessary to unclip. This also has an adverse effect on your balance.

Bona-fides: I have taught Cyclocross skills to well over 1000 people, over many years. Other stuff.

P.S. - reversing the brake levers is another myth. Most of the Euro guys don't do it, and those that do run all their bikes that way, and grew up with left rear braking. If you have a motorcycle background, or grew up in certain parts of Italy, it's the natural way to go - otherwise, don't bother. Sven Nijs, Bart Wellens, Erwin Vervecken, and Richard Groenendal all run right rear - so it's probably good enough for you.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Sep 13, 06 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litespeed Vortex. It is much faster than I am. It goes uphill and down faster than I ever thought possible. Love the bike. I am doing Bridge to Bridge century this weekend. 102 miles, great climbs! Honestly, this bike racing in so much fun, I may never go back to being a tri-fag again, well at least not untill next season.

Hope you are doing well.

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did two seasons of cross and wound up third in our local series for the past season. A buddy of mine got second.

I used Shimano SPD's (747's?) and had good luck. Another good pedal is the Time ATAC. I tried eggbeaters but had a devil of a time getting into them. The darn cleat/pedal interface was so frickin' small.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are probably right . . . and I do run "moto" so I can control my speed better.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Primer [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. It makes sense, but I have the following questions -

1. Where does the right leg go after you swing it over. You say "step-through," but does the right leg actually reside in between the left leg and the bike?

2. With the right hand on the top tube, would it not make sense to have the left brake working the rear wheel? Seems like a little to much pressure on the front brake could cause problems.

3. I think I understand what you mean about off-axis torque with the left leg, but I do not get twisting out and just dropping off the left pedal. Which leg hits first? What leg moves forward first? Do you kind of use your right foot to assist in unclipping from the left pedal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I have looked at that Ti beast. I am also considering carbon, specifically a R3 or a Felt F1C.
Quote Reply