Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Cross Bike Pedals?
Quote | Reply
What kind are typically used? I am a Speedplay guy for road and tri, but I suspect a different kind is employed in the cyclocross world.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used Speedplay frogs for the past 4 years and like them very much. No worries in the mud. I haven't really ridden anything else so no comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used spds and they are great for all but the muddiest courses. The times are very popular. I would think that eggbeaters would be the best for a very muddy course as it looks very hard to clog.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used some ritchey spd type pedals and had no problems at all even in super muddy conditions. i did notice alot of guys out there on eggbeaters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time ATAC or EggBeaters (I have Candy's). Easy entry regardless of mud, and I only jammed once in >8 years and that was b/c a stick jammed into one side from a crash, not mud. The other side still worked. BOth of these are self-cleaning.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have used Speedplay frogs for the past 4 years and like them very much. No worries in the mud. I haven't really ridden anything else so no comparison.[/reply]

Sorry, but Frogs are a serious no-no when it comes to 'cross - they muck up very quick and won't engage.

Times or Egg Beaters, followed by SPD's. Those are your choices.

Speedplay is re-designing the Frog - I hope they come up with something that works better in the mud, grass, and whatever else you run over during a 'cross race. For now, nobody I know dares use them for this application. Love them on the mtb, but not for 'cross - even Speedplay admits this.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [JM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm I had no idea. I have run them pretty hard and never had an issue in any condition.

Looks like it is time for new pedals, like I need an excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the candy's. A great cross pedal
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am NOT a big MTB or cross rider so don't have much experience with what works the best in these sort of situations. I did have real problems with the SPD pedal/cleat combo that I was using last fall in the "Hell of the North" ride here near Toronto. Cleats kept getting jammed up with ice/snow during the carries and I had a devil of a time getting clicked back in when remounting.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Egg Beaters, on all my bikes. They're great in mud, dirt, or even for road use (light and low profile)

I haven't tried the candy version, but I don't care one way or the other about the platform, so I just go with the regular SLs.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Ritchey spds for a few seasons, and they generally work well. A couple of times in very muddy conditions I've had to work hard to clip back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPD

Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [srb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah candy's are very popular.

I'd say Candy's Eggbeaters or Time Atac's you wont go too wrong---i have heard people have major problems with frogs and mud.

go to roadbikereview.com they have a great cyclcoross forum, also i have a lot of info on my blog listed below.

jeremy

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two words, "TIME ATAC"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPD's No problems with mud, or snow. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [JM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since 1990 (ish) all I've ridden off road (including cross) are Speedplay Frogs. Mud, snow, ice....no problem. Ever.

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn now I gotta go dig ups some cross pic to post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the egg beater SLs on two bikes and candy on my new fixed gear bike .I realy like the candy. It is nice to have a biger platform. You should try them you might like them .The egg beaters have worked very well for me.

Any shoe on any bike. I like that.
Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Time ATACs [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Time ATACs on my cross bike, mtb and road bike. I woulds say use Time's or Eggbeaters for cross as both seem to be most resistent to mud and crud.

David K
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Bike Pedals? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW - I forgot to thank you for responding to my post some time ago. The ability to survey a such a large number of athletes for information like this is what makes ST great.

BTW also, nice job at Steelcase. I spoke with Kenny this morning as he was in Grand Haven for a pre-event meeting. Tom L. must have put some good bike work over the winter. Which is one of the reasons I just bought a 'cross bike :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom is a stud, thank goodness I can swim faster than him. ;-)
Quote Reply