Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain
Quote | Reply
In the two races I've done so far this year, I've managed to drop my chain a total of 3 times. Each time immediately after a barrier. Am I dropping the bike too hard? Kicking the chain? Anybody recommend a solution?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming it's tuned properly....

Perhaps too many links in the chain and there is just not enough tension from the rear dr to keep the chain tight. Did you remove a larger front ring for cross season?

All my bikes, I use the +2 link sizing. Without running the chain through the rear dr, wrap the chain around your largest rear cog and your largest front ring, add 2 links and break it there.

Another option would be to get one of those chain guards, only problem is that is you drop it and it get's past the guard it's a huge pain to get it back out the ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind the expense a "Third Eye" and outer chain guard does the trick for me.

Quote | Reply
if it is not chain length then your comment about "dropping" your bike would need to be looked at. you shouldn't "drop" your bike. your bike should be set down next to you as you are running, and excessive bounce can cause chain dropping and your bike bouncing out of control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think someone already suggested a third eye chain watcher:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pic didn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, do you sell them on your site? Nevermind, I'll go look.
Last edited by: Gator1736: Oct 29, 07 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]In the two races I've done so far this year, I've managed to drop my chain a total of 3 times. Each time immediately after a barrier. Am I dropping the bike too hard? Kicking the chain? Anybody recommend a solution?[/reply]

I think you probably answered your own question if you are dropping the bike. I saw a lot of this yesterday.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes..you're dropping the bike too hard.

Work on the ole suitcase drill.....
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the suitcase drill?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem last year.

Do you have a short cage or long cage rear derailleur? I switched to a short cage and have no problems now. Maybe I just needed a more robust spring.

Chain length - as short as you can go without risking damage.

Third Eye or N-Stop - helpful.

Do not slam you bike down, set it down.

Might try using a single ring set-up with guards on each side of the front chainring.

David K

gr g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you're aware that you discount to the left....

Therefore, your left hand remains on the shifter while your right hand goes on the top tube like you're holding onto a suitcase. You set the bike down similiar as you would bowl. Don't wanna slam it...very gentle landing. If you practice properly, you can even be able to set your cranks in the right position.

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/soforcydvd.html

I'll send ya my copy if you want for $15.

Since my CX bike didn't arrive until last week...my first and last race this year will be National Champs (due to IMFL). It will be a humbling experience. I just hope all the fast guys show up so I get lapped early in the race. ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped the chain yesterday after a barrier as well...from slamming the bike down too hard. I was able to ride the chain back onto the cranks though and didn't lose a step. If you don't know this trick, it's KEY to learn it. Just shift into the big ring up front and pedal like crazy until the chain is back on.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Cross Advice—Dropping my chain [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was on a slight uphill. Can't think of how this would work as I had no momentum. Is there a trick to this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going uphill and having no momentum would be difficult, but if you gone running fast enough and did a nice re-mount you might be able to pull it off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah either a dog fang (like the third eye chain catcher) or make sure there's enough chain tension to keep it on. I had chain drop issues at one road race this year because of derailleur issues, but once we fixed it, I was good to go.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply