Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read.
Quote | Reply
Just copied the France ironman title as it said it all, just the wrong event.

Am particularly interested to hear about the bike course.

I will check there website as sure it will have details also.

Thanks in advance for any useful feedback.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can wait 6 weeks, I'll post my report when I've done it;-). Check this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2087843

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing it also for the first time, so will se you there. see they have our names on the start list on there site.

I just found this on the 'Roth' site a few minutes ago and have read it all, and will re-read it a few times.

My first goal is just to finish but am keen to go under 11hrs, but it is tricky getting race fit in the Winter here in Southern NZ.

here it is:

Roth greenhorns ......................................................................................................
Here are some tips for Roth greenhorns from our forum:

1. Being nervous before the start .

. is really unnecessary in Roth. You can easily reach the location by car and you might even enjoy the early-morning drive along lonely country roads. There is plenty of parking space in the direct vicinity of the swim start, upper-arm marking is done quickly and there are a sufficient number of toilets next to the transition zone. Perfect conditions which make it easy to start your day in a very relaxed way. Even ambitious rookies should take it real easy during the first hours of the race. A real must for greenhorns: Definitely watch the swim start of the first group! The atmosphere is simply great and a real highlight in triathlon sport.

2. On the bike course .

. you should control yourself a bit at first. The most common mistake in a long-distance race is to start off too fast on the bike. Roth with its thousands of spectators at the end of the swim course and along the first metres of the bike course might especially tempt you to go off too fast. In the small groups of cyclists that stick together on the first kilometres, athletes are often far too ambitious. Don't get involved in these fights too much, follow the group and try to take it easy. During the first hour on the bike you should eat and drink sufficiently. Try to keep a clear brain! A lot of mental strength will be needed later, so try to relax and just cycle as in your training.

The Solarer Berg .

. is the biggest catapult of the world. The ride through this hot spot is something you really have to experience. There is nothing similar in the world. So enjoy it, because you will have climbed the hill much faster than you think. Your pulse will go up as well, but you shouldn't get carried away. The best thing to do is to ride as smoothly as possible, your hands on the base handlebar, and watch the scene. Even before you have reached the top it will again be silent and strenuous.

The Kalvarienberg .

. is the most difficult hill of the bike course. It consists of a rather steep ramp and several (I think it's 5) smaller hills after that. With a headwind, it's these little ground waves that are difficult to cope with, because they do not seem to end and you might have the impression that it is difficult to go ahead. But it is important now to stay cool! You should definitely stick to the predetermined pulse rates. Use the hills to relax your back, sit upright and every now and then ride out of the saddle for a bit. The aid station half-way up the hill is quite important, take as much as you can, since you can take a short digestion break when you ride down the other side of the Kalvarienberg. After that there is a long flat section. If your legs play along (and if you have enough sugar in your blood), you will be able to win some time.

3. The running course .

. starts as if in ecstasy. Real crowds of spectators will cheer you on, the course slightly descends and you go ahead quite quickly. Then there is silence, and the first hill gets you back to reality. This is the real start of the running course. Run slowly and control your speed very carefully. Until you reach the landing stage, the big hub of the running course, you should really run at a comfortable speed and slowly try to find your running legs. Afterwards, along the canal, you should try to keep a calm and positive mood. In this section you should beware of heroic feelings! It's much too early for that, and the probability of overdoing things in this kind of mood is about 100%.

In Schwanstetten .

. all hell has broken loose. Those of you who have read this far will be able to guess the following tips: First, enjoy the experience, so keep your eyes and ears open. Second, keep cool as regards your speed, which is not easy at all. On your way back to the canal there will first be a slight and then a steep hill. Try to run slowly here and save as much power as possible, since you will now come closer and closer to the point where the race will really start.

The long straights .

. are at the same time a blessing and a curse. On the one hand they give athlete a feeling of endless vastness, which can be quite depressing, so be prepared. On the other hand these quieter sections might calm you down a little bit. Stay cool and relaxed. Concentrate on the next steps and on the upcoming aid station. So your inner cosmos is no more than 2 kilometres long and 2 metres wide. Anything beyond does no longer exist. Tip: Counting the kilometres backwards helps controlling your speed.

The second turning point .

. is no fun and hard for everyone. It's not a game anymore. The way back to the canal is hard work and really rough, because you are tired and the slight hill is very hard to take. Most important: Use all available aid stations, if necessary stop for a while.

The finish-line .

. might as well be at the landing stage, or this is at least what you should imagine. Just pretend that this is the finish-line. When you are there you have almost made it, because from that point on you will run downhill in the shadow, which may ease your pain a little bit. You have left the canal behind. From now on you are a hero.

The real finish-line .

. is a place of great joy and happiness, but at first you will just be relieved that it's over at last. The finish-line has seen hundreds of hard men burst into tears, and there's a reason why: The last 10 or 20 kilometres are really tough and stretch you to the limit. Hats off to everyone who made it!

For many athletes the party at the end of the race is the emotional highlight of the event. When the fireworks illuminate the sky you take a look around with tears in your eyes and there are simply no words to describe the feeling.

Finish at any price!

(of course not at the expense of your health)

Author: Klugschnacker
Member of the QCR-Forum since November 28, 2003
So I see there is a QCR-Forum. I will google that and use google translate to get it in English or ask my German girlfriend if she can read it to me.
Just found the English speaking part of the form. It is on the 'Challenge Roth' home page' or here":
http://www.challengeforum.de/...7a8b555b3c1ee0c9d57f

It must be big if they have there own forum ; that is new to me for an event to have such a popular forum.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Jun 2, 09 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am doing it also for the first time, so will se you there. see they have our names on the start list on there site.

Yes, but no starting number yet. As the start is done in waves, it would be nice. I can't remember what I selected in the application form ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was aware of the wave start. Just thought it would be done on age, but maybe they will do it on the predicted times we entered?

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced QCR back in 2007 and it is the greatest race in the world. I've raced IM NZ, IM Can, IM CDA, IM MOO, Kona and QCR has them all beat by a mile. My wife and I had a home stay in Hilpolstein, about 1500M from the swim start. There are great restaurants there including italian, greek and of course german food.
Felix, the race director, knows how to treat the athletes. When you check in, each volunteer speaks German, English and French. The process is simple and easy. There is a small expo and some race gear to buy, but it's nothing like an IMNA event.
You will check your bike in the day before. The racks are the wooden ones that hold your rear wheel. Plenty of space, and you get a cool yellow bag to put over your bike in case it rains! Spectators come out just to watch athletes rack their bikes!
The Course:
The swim course is in Hilpoltstein. There is no real parking lot and it's kind of a mad house, but you can pretty much park whereever you can fit. We simply walked to the start. It is a simple out and back in a canal. The water was fine, no issues with a long sleeve wetsuit. There will be spectators all along the canal to watch you swim, it's crazy.
The bike course is amazing. It's not flat, but it's fast! It is 2 loops with rollers and a few shorter steep sections. It seemed to me that any climb or rise was followed by a longer descent, making the course quick. It also helps that the road is absolutely the smoothest road ever. There is great scenery and you basically go from small town to small town. HOLD IT IN CHECK ON THE SOLARBERG!! Nothing will prepare for what it's like on race day, truly amazing. It's not a hard climb, or steep. You could big ring it if you had to, but it's smarter to gear down. When you come around the corner all you see is a wall of people. I aimed for the policeman and sure enough there was a small path through the thousands of people. I was glad I had my aero helmet to block out the insane amount of noise. There is NO special needs bags on the course. However, you are allowed to have someone hand you your own bag anywhere on the course. It's easiest to do at the start of the 2nd loop. Aid stations were adequate and have PowerBar products. It is typically cool weather, so have toe warmers, arm warmers and even a vest available. You will finish the bike in Roth.
The Run:
Flat and mostly on a dirt/soft surface path. It's basically a T where you run along the canal, turnaround, go past where you hit the path, do another turnaround and come back. The long stretches can play with your head, so keep your eyes on the ground. It can get hot and there is little shade. Also, there isn't a lot of room on the path. Between athletes, spectators and motos it can get congested. The aid stations have the usual and the kids all want you to take THEIR sponge. They will have these little chocolate squares that are super cold and delicious. I'm not sure what they are, almost like a custard consistency, but they saved my race!
The finish:
They will put up a small stadium and you make a lap on that to finish. Most likely, Felix will be there to watch you come across. The post race food is amazing. Real food like sandwiches, yogurt, chocolate milk, pastries, fruit, coffee and non-alcoholic Erdinger, the beer of choice. There will also be what looks like a mobile home that has showers so you can clean off and stay at the finish for the party. There will be other food vendors selling wursts and such for super cheap. Stay for the end as the fireworks and atmosphere are amazing. There is no cut off time, but those Euro's are fast so the last guy crosses at around 10!
Other:
If you can get into the volunteer party the night after the race, go. It's good food and a great time. They raffle off all sorts of stuff for the volunteers.
Swim in the outdoor 50m pool in Hilpolstein. There are no lane lines and it's a free for all, but the pool has a metal bottom and no chlorine. Check out Nurnberg and Munich if you have time. Most of all, enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I will second the last posters comments. THE BEST IM IN THE WORLD. I have done Roth twice. It is really amazing. The organization is just specatcular. The race is super organized and you will not enjoy a massive hill climb more than you will on this ride. That climb in hipolstein is just the coolest moment I have ever had doing triathlon. I intend to go back in the next few years to do this event again. It is fast. My fastest IM (906) there! Loved it loved it loved it.
daved
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [cotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cotri and Daved thanks for the great feedback. It is helping my preparation to hear some details of the course.

Felix finished the 'Challenge Wanaka' event earlier this year so he will have a better appreciation now for what the athletes have gone through.

It is interesting how it is so well run but still keep low key with respect to some things.

38 days to go, and the excitement is building. Am considering getting a new set of Xentis wheels for the race, but i have to weigh up the cost/benefit ratio.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First things first; truly a great race. You will love it.

Swim - Is waves as you know and done on estimated times. It is dead calm, but can get a little busy. Only real neagtive is if you are a quick swimmer, but a not so quick overall finisher, as then you swim into the back of slower traffic for the whole race.

Bike - Is quick, but you do need to keep your powder dry, or the second hill with the rollers aftre it will really hurt second time around. Do not make the mistake of thinking it is quick and going for it. If you do the course will hurt you. the trick is to make time in the quicker sections, but be conservative elsewhere. the singular best advice available used to be on the Greenhorn Section, if that's what it's called on teh Website. It was advise on how to pace the bike, written by Macca. as you might expect, he nailed it, in terms of when to go hard/easy etc. See if you can find it, and then drive the course with that and a topo map of teh course in your lap.

Run - Just awesome. Crowds, bands and other athletes all day, a great experience. Make sure you have paced correctly so that you can enjoy it rather than it being a death march.

And the best bits: When you've finished you have to walk through a bar to get to the recovery area, which is in turn, and in true German tradition, full of fit naked people!

Have fun.

Made in Scotland frae Girders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bib numbers are up. I am #974 starting at 7:05. I am starting to get excited. Half Ironman this weekend and then all thoughts are on Roth.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will see you and the other 248 starters at 7.05am. Hoping to swim under 60mins but it will need to be dead flat.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just check out epidoses 117-119 of IM Talk at www.imtalk.me

John & Bevan did Roth laast year and interviewd Sindball / Pete Jacobs (#117) as well as Macca (#118) prior to the race and give their own RRs (#119)

Download the stuff and have three hours of great fun while dreaming of Solarer Berg on your long rund!

Enjoy

tim

p.s. Hallo Arne, Du auch hier?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [hazelman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am listening to the 'Macca' interview episode now. Halfway through and can say it is pretty funny, but don't ask which bits.

Did talk to John and a few others briefly before about Roth.

Thanks for the link.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Jun 3, 09 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread mate! I'm also heading over to do it for the first time, and travelling from New Zealand. Winter training is a challenge but the 'challenge' idea is all over this sport isn't it! Anyway, see you there! Thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The bib numbers are up. I am #974 starting at 7:05. I am starting to get excited. Half Ironman this weekend and then all thoughts are on Roth.
1548 here. And yes, it's getting closer ...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [JayR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My starter number 1121 in the wave beginning at 7.05am. I will try and write down the other guys who put there starter number on ST and say hi if I see them. But with 3500 people or so i will be making sure I don't loose my German girlfriend in the crowds.

There were a few free entries given at 'Challenge Wanaka' in NZ for the age group winners. Were you one of them?

My training is pretty much either a swim, bike or run each day so will get through, but not fast.

Here is a link to my blog of what I am doing as far as the build-up goes:

http://www.triathlonshot.com/...manTrainingBlog.html

G.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Jun 13, 09 4:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i will making sure I don't loose my German girlfriend in the crowds.

I think your German girlfriend will be okay in Roth.Now, if she was hanging out in Wanaka then there would be reason to worry.You know what thoe Kiwi boys are like. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, think you are right. I will be able to relax a bit more in Europe in some regards.

You will also recognise me before and after the race as the guy with no hair and a beautiful young blond in tow. She will have one of my nikonD200's with her to get a few photos or I may have it before raceday. Well that is the plan as well as a bit of photo practise the week before for both of us at ironman Germany.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could say I won my spot in Wanaka, but no. I've never won an age group (yet) so I'm paying my way for this one. I've also got a German girlfriend (she'll be the other blond in the crowd :-) ) so it's a good compromise for us. She gets to visit family, I get to do an Ironman and we both get to travel around Europe. I did Wanaka last year and loved that course! I would do Wanaka again before Taupo again. I was also very impressed with the Challenge organisation and treatment so I decided then to go for Roth at the next possible opportunity. There were a few Germans in Wanaka that I met that do Roth every year and they've helped me sort out accomodations so it's already been a good experience to this point.
I'm 2212. I can't remember what I put on the form to be starting that far back, but I'm not off until 7.30am. It's going to be tough watching you guys going and waiting.
I'm trying to keep to a normal IM program, but the weather is making it rough at times. I guess it just weighs heavier on the mental side of things. Anyway, same thing, will get through, but not fast.
J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm 2212. I can't remember what I put on the form to be starting that far back, but I'm not off until 7.30am. It's going to be tough watching you guys going and waiting.
I am 2154 and I put 12 hrs down as expected finish time. It's going to be a blistering fast race if 80 % are expected to finish faster than 12 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the course is fast but it is anything but easy. be prepared for very steep uphills with screaming fans. You will have to take it easy here and be willing to get passed by EVERYONE. be prepared for very long gradual downhills you can pedal. i think this is part of why it's fast too along with the fans and great pavement. there are some twisting descents that are very sketchy when it's raining like it was last year. Be prepared for an emotional experience riding those hills. the energy is like nothing else in triathlon. The run course is quite flat except for around the 3/4s mark. it's mostly on a beautiful finely crushed gravel path along a canal. it's great on the legs.

have a blast.

Dan
http://www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Challenge Roth', any advice or blogs to read. [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am getting a good feel of what to expect now thanks to the great feedback above.

Am just wndering what it will be like to have 3500 fit people all running around at the same time will be like, not to mention the supporters. There is not even 3500 people in the town I live in at present so it will take a bit of getting used to that.

Am keeping motivated and counting down 26 days to go.

G.
http://www.triathlonshot.com/...manTrainingBlog.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi it is getting close now. I will look out for you pre-race in the bike transition as you are a fellow Kiwi.

The weather will be the interesting thing, but it is not a controllable factor. I did a 40km ride today in Germany(near Roth), and 10mins was in a heavy shower, but it was warm enough so no rain jacket was fine. Even if it is a bad day it will be warmer than 18 degrees or so. So coming from the NZ Winter it will be tropical.

Hope it is a nice day like at Ironman Germany ; well it was almost too warm at ironman Germany and plenty of sunscreen was needed. Have finally got the German ironman page up:

http://triathlonshots.com/IronmanGermany2nd.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting close indeed. Thanks for the weather info, it's one of the question I haven't 100% decided: what to wear. The other one is back wheel: zip 808 of disk? I'm off tomorrow morning and will bring both. Thursday arriving about lunch time, register, check out the expo, drive the bike course and maybe ride part of it. Friday morning swim practice at 8am (I will wear a red 'BRAT' swim hat), then chill out. I will stay at the Novotel in Nurenberg so I will probably skip the pasta party. Saturday bike check. Sunday 7:15 start of a nice day. Hopefully see you there. If you find a spot to meet for instance Friday evening, post it: I will try to check my Emails Thursday evening. If I don't meet you, to you and all STers: have a good race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.
I am still deciding whether to arrive on Thursday or Friday morning. What is your race number as I will walk along to your bike/swim transition point pre-race.

I would have considered using a disc but thought it would be too hilly, never mind.

Great and looking forward to it all.

My girlfreinds brother does a bit of photography so may get a few good photos of it all yet.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply

Prev Next