Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues
Quote | Reply
I had some of these installed under my cleat years ago with my Shimano pedal system to stop my right knee from 'diving' at the top tube. Please forgive if I butcher the term, but I believe the issue they were dealing with on me was 'varus'? Whatever it was I have written down 5* for my right knee.

I'm using Speedplay now, but I'm not seeing a way to get these in my cleat setup. Are there not ways to do this from inside the shoe with insoles?

Rroof......you are the big daddy of foot answers in here would love to hear what you suggest for getting this tweaked.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [slowerthanslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get some wedges that go under a speedplay cleat as well (the purple ones that used to be called Big Meat or LeWedges). The ones for SPD/Look style cleats are different.

And you are correct in your terminology - called forefoot varus. 5 degrees you would want 2 of the shims, wider side on the inside under your big toe.

Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rroof you rock, thanks.

I forgot about the wedges when I switched pedal systems and I had started to notice that same old tinge I get on the medial aspect of my right tibial plateau from the horrible contusion I received there along with my torn meniscus a few years ago. The contusion took longer to heal than the stubborn meniscus.....dern that sucker would wake me up in the middle of the night for over a year when I would tweak it. I can actually feel the inside of my right thigh scrape the top tube occasionally when I get tired and fatigued....it really likes to 'veer off course'.

Should the cleat beefing up affect my seat height at all or is this a non-issue? Didn't know if 2 wedges meant a 2mm adjustment across the board?

Thank you so much, you rock!
Last edited by: slowerthanslow: Dec 23, 09 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [slowerthanslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you shouldn't really have to adjust your seat height at all since only the inside of your forefoot is "up" in relation to your lateral column. If you need 4 of the wedges, then maybe split the diff if you are one of those that is really sensitive to seat height changes (aka Lance A.)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you shouldn't really have to adjust your seat height at all since only the inside of your forefoot is "up" in relation to your lateral column. If you need 4 of the wedges, then maybe split the diff if you are one of those that is really sensitive to seat height changes (aka Lance A.)

Great thanks so much. Not that sensitive, but since my knowledge of the wedges is just enough to get myself in trouble I figured I would check it out first. Thank you again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the right brand/model? Thank you!

One looks different from the other.....price dif too which makes me think they are not the same since both from same seller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e7bed1#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/...41a9bd#ht_561wt_1167
Last edited by: slowerthanslow: Dec 24, 09 5:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, those are correct and appear to be the same. I don't know why the price difference unless one is for the wedges only and the other is for wedges and some longer screws that are occasionally necessary if you use like 4 per side.

Quote | Reply
Rrrof -

Picked up the Bike Fit wedge kit at the LBS today......for once they actually had something that didn't need to be ordered!

I have 5* in the right foot and put 2 wedges.....it's like magic....unreal

The right foot has 1*......is it even worth putting one in there? I mean I had one with the old system, but I never had issues with that knee anyway. Can I deduce you had me use 2 shims for my 5* that the shims have roughly 2* of correction in them?

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 degree? That would be pretty tough to even measure! I'll assume you were measured with one of the "forefoot measuring devices" that come with the kit a while back. At any rate, I'd put one under the left cleat as well - you can "cheat" a little and keep the wide side off a little more medial for less of an effect. Will keep you a little more even as for limb length, no matter how subtle that really is with those thin wedges.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1 degree? That would be pretty tough to even measure! I'll assume you were measured with one of the "forefoot measuring devices" that come with the kit a while back. At any rate, I'd put one under the left cleat as well - you can "cheat" a little and keep the wide side off a little more medial for less of an effect. Will keep you a little more even as for limb length, no matter how subtle that really is with those thin wedges.

Yea when I said I was a dummy on this stuff I meant it.....I have NO idea what he measured me with, but do know he had me standing on something that looked like a giant ink pad more or less and some areas were dark and some were lighter once I stepped off.

Anyway, I put the 2 under my 5* foot right under the ball of the foot. I'm sure it's not exactly where someone with say your knowledge would place it, but it's much, much better b/c I instantly noticed the inside of my thigh was not grazing the top tube. I will put one under the left to maintain some continuity.

I'm going to take pics just to see what you might think to make sure I'm not waaaaay off. Thank you again so much for the education and help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy wedges for inside the sole of the shoe. Same concept as between the shoe/cleat but they just lay under the insole. I had a similar setup as you in my speedplay days with 4 wedges on one side. I switched to the "in the shoe" wedge b/c it was difficult to clip in/out with speedplay and that many wedges. I guess the angle was just a little weird and I personally had trouble engaging the cleat. Anyway, if that becomes an issue for you you may want to check out the other style of wedge. It also eliminates the need for abnormally long screws that you sometimes need with a big stack of wedges.
good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jamie. I actually tried those on in the store before having the under shoe/cleat wedges installed some time ago. They were nice, but $90 vs. 20. Plus the big problem I had was they took up all the room in my shoes and I was going to have to buy a size bigger so I opted out. I'm sure they work great though.
Last edited by: slowerthanslow: Dec 27, 09 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't have the "room in the shoe problem" but the price discrepancy makes me think we are talking about different things:
Just an FYI:
http://www.bikefit.com/products.php
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow they didn't have those! I think Specialized made the insert and it was ridiculously expensive AND it filled my shoe so much I could hardly fit in. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rroof: quick question related to this. Any issues with any aggrevation of paroneal tendons with purple shims for speed pedals (thick side to the inside of cleat). Have had a bit of issue with paroneal tendons and am wondering with by themselves, the shims can cause additional stress on these tendons.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
rroof: quick question related to this. Any issues with any aggrevation of paroneal tendons with purple shims for speed pedals (thick side to the inside of cleat). Have had a bit of issue with paroneal tendons and am wondering with by themselves, the shims can cause additional stress on these tendons.

Depends if your forefoot varus if compenstated or uncompensated (rigid). The peroneus longus is a stabilizer of the 1st ray, and any 1st instability can overwork it. I have noticed (my own observation) an increase in peroneal tendon issues in cyclists on Speedplay pedals though, esp the older X-series with free float as the peroneal tries to stabilize.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Depends if your forefoot varus if compenstated or uncompensated (rigid). The peroneus longus is a stabilizer of the 1st ray, and any 1st instability can overwork it. I have noticed (my own observation) an increase in peroneal tendon issues in cyclists on Speedplay pedals though, esp the older X-series with free float as the peroneal tries to stabilize.

Mmm.. I do have a rigid foot and do use the X series pedals. Compensated or uncompensated? Given that, any thoughts on the effect on peroneal tendon with the shims.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts? I would change cleats personally to some Speedplay Zeros and lock down the float. Should give you an answer there. Why were you using the cleats? Knee diving towards the top tube?

Quote | Reply
FWIW I also like to use the S/S Wear Protector shim when I use the wedges with SP pedals, I've seen purple shims get fairly chewed up and at $8 these are a pretty cheap way to keep that pedal/cleat mating surface in better shape. I can't find a link on the SP website but any good SP dealer should know what I am talking about. Thin enough at a fraction of a mm that I don't mess with saddle height.

Cyclist turned multisport enthusiast. Human performance technologist and digital health expert in my day job.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/karletzel/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/karletzel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My left knee also dives into top tube, whereas right remains straight. How do you know if this is a cant or length issue?

"You can't always do what's right; but you can always do what's left." Them Crooked Vultures
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bike Fit' cleat wedges....varus tilt issues [nola] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My left knee also dives into top tube, whereas right remains straight. How do you know if this is a cant or length issue?

By simply measuring! A good fitter will have a forefoot measuring device for forefoot varus. Limb length discrepancies are more difficult to measure unless a true structural issue, and really a scanogram (X-ray) is needed for an accurate measurement. Reality is that many have a functional limb length discrepancy for a variety of reasons. All can factor into why 1 knee and not another can "dive" towards the top tube on the down stroke.

Quote | Reply
Hah! Put 2 washers underneath the inside screw to tilt the cleat. No more diving knee! Guess I'll invest in the spacers now. I've been riding like that for 12 years!

"You can't always do what's right; but you can always do what's left." Them Crooked Vultures
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is some ingenious thinking. don't tell paul swift that or he will start sweating that someone has figured out how to render a $25 piece of plastic useless with a 1cent washer.

i'm going to try this on my mtb shoes before shelling out another $25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hah! Put 2 washers underneath the inside screw to tilt the cleat. No more diving knee! Guess I'll invest in the spacers now. I've been riding like that for 12 years!

Excellent engineering work! ;-)

Quote | Reply
If you dont want to shell out the $.02 for washers, you can also use pull tabs off a soda or beer can. The aluminum will compress and bend slightly, to better conform to the shape of the shoe. Plus, the micro air gap (where the wedge would otherwise be) between the cleat and the shoe is more aerodynamic (with washer or pull tab).

Quote Reply

Prev Next