Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one?
Quote | Reply
(I thought about putting this in the bike box recommendation thread but I was hoping more people would see it so I gave it it's own. No I have nothing to do with these guys other than thinking about buying one)

http://www.bikeboxalan.co.uk/

Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they worth it? If you have, tell me the good and the bad. I've been thinking of making a long term investment in a box for quite a while now but I'm torn between a few different brands of cases. I really want to hear something, ANYTHING about this one in particular. They seem very high quality but the price is quite a bit more than some very good alternatives.
Quote Reply
Re: 'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive got one, I think the guy that owns the company, basically looked at the best bike box on the market (sorry for the life of me I cant remember their name) and make the same box but elimated every flaw he found with that box, its still cheaper than that box incidently. Yes expensive, but think how much damage baggage handlers can do to your pride and joy and it should last a lifetime. Im sure he has a video on Youtube throwing his out a car at 30mph and no damage to the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one? [Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding. Yes I've been all through his site and everything. I was more interested in hearing someone's real world experiences. Hard to pack? Easy? Get charged a lot by airlines with it or do they ever let you slide? How well do you feel it protects the wheels? Ever have anything damaged while using it? Does it roll easily through airports?

(As I understand it, he made what he feels is a better version of the SciCon case...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Get charged a lot by airlines with it or do they ever let you slide?

I've never used one but based on the pictures (and a lot more flying than your average bear) I'd all but guarantee that you're never getting that comp'ed or find a ticket agent willing to look the other way. That thing is large and screams "Hey, there's a bike in here!"

If you pick your airlines carefully and stick to those with reasonable bike charges, it's probably not a big deal. But other airlines will charge you the cost of the box in less that 2 round trips...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: 'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
JoeO wrote:
Get charged a lot by airlines with it or do they ever let you slide?

I've never used one but based on the pictures (and a lot more flying than your average bear) I'd all but guarantee that you're never getting that comp'ed or find a ticket agent willing to look the other way. That thing is large and screams "Hey, there's a bike in here!"

You know, you'd think that but when I flew to Europe in 2009 with one of those massive, clamshell boxes, I never got charged either way. Not because they didn't know it was a bike -- it was obviously a bike - but because they just apparently had mercy on me.
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 10, 11 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have sold several and have a couple we rent out. From experience they a very well made, the bike packs in there very well and we have not had anyone with damage from both domestic and international flights. I would make one caveat, use some inexpensive skewers to hold the wheels, because the end is outside the box (albeit in a recess) and on one occasion the end of one skewer managed to get damaged somehow.
Yes you are more likely to get charged than using a bike bag like the Aerus, but given what bike, plus wheels, plus hotel etc cost I dont know I would want to trust my bike to a soft bag.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
You know, you'd think that but when I flew to Europe in 2009 with one of those massive, clamshell boxes, I never got charged either way.

I believe that. In 2009 the fees were substantially lower and they were a lot more likely to let it slide. TransAtlantic flights also tend to have a bit more leeway, as do First Class tickets.

Nowadays, on a domestic flight and cattle class ticket, you're all but guaranteed to pay the full fee. If you have Elite status with an airline, a business class ticket (or better), or you're travelling internationally, you've got a shot. Not a big one, but a shot. If you have a transatlantic first class ticket you're probably ok.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: 'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fees were $150 either way on Swissair at the time. Now they're $200. Still I will never use a soft case for my bike so clamshell or TriAll3Sports or whatever sure isn't going to"stealth" me out of a fee.

If money were no object I'd love to get one of those "coupler" bikes and stick it in a tiny suitcase.
Quote Reply
Re: 'BikeBoxAlan' cases. Anyone here use one? [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Especially for the tip on the skewers!

Actually your store (the irongearsports store) is where I was planning on buying one from, eventually if I buy one. Had a weird problem with the shipping while trying to determine how much it would cost (a UPS error) but I wasn't about to buy right now anyway.
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 10, 11 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
The fees were $150 either way on Swissair at the time. Now they're $200. Still I will never use a soft case for my bike so clamshell or TriAll3Sports or whatever sure isn't going to"stealth" me out of a fee.

If money were no object I'd love to get one of those "coupler" bikes and stick it in a tiny suitcase.

Honestly I think the best cases around are the custom ones that an ST'er made for him and his wife's bikes. I'll have to see if I can dig up the link (he posted them here) but they were amazing. Hard-sided, light enough, and definitely stealth.

<edit> It was DamonHenry. The thread is here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ew_flat;post=2594116
The best, and most bad-ass case in the history of ST.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Mar 10, 11 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me 4 years of waiting on ebay, but one (a S&S Coupler, though there was also a Ritchey Break-Away Ti in my size at same time for $1000 less) showed up last summer in my size. By far the best bike-travel system on the market---it has literally paid for itself in saved bike case fees in 4-5 trips abroad & in the US. After the first time, where I took my time & made a checklist, it takes about 40 min to assemble and/or breakdown/pack properly, including packing 2+ kits, shoes, and helmet. Mine is a Ti Holland. There are a couple of guys who do after-market refittings on any round tubed Ti or steel bike, and older Litespeeds or Merlins can be had fairly cheap on ebay. Its about $1800 for the refit, including the suitcase & pads (spend the $$---they definitely protect the frame/components). FWIW, after selling the Campy components that came with the bike, my custom Holland ended up costing about $1900 via ebay. Its so well made, and so easy to put together, that now any trips longer than a single overnight I end up bringing it, assuming I'm not in NY or someplace non-conducive to a decent ride. If you go this route, spend an extra $100-200 for a small + decent torque wrench (though Ritchey makes a cool $20 5NM one that does the job) & the single exact tools you'll need from Park + a good tool wrap + pack 3-4 clean rags per trip to keep everything tidy.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply