Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I am trying to find/compile a list of more recognized Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in the US. As 70.3s have grown in notoriety, it seems like a lot of the more popular Olympic distance races have died out (Nation's Tri, HyVee, Philly, etc.). I want to stick with the shorter races for the time being, but there just don't seem to be the options. Here are the one's that come to mind:

Escape Alcatraz
Age Group National Championships
St. Petersberg
New York City Triathlon

Which other races would be worth traveling for? Looking for races that would have a strong amateur field. If there's enough interest, I can make a list of them (similar to this link of 70.3s) for everyone to use. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [abundant_pasta_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago
Maybe Captex in Austin

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [abundant_pasta_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Musselman Sprint

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lavaman is really great and worth traveling for.

I just signed up for the Malibu Tri, which looks good. GTN just had a video on "bucket-list" races you do not have to qualify for and that made the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice compiling a list. I asked the same question a few months ago, and answers I got were:
USAT Nationals
Herballife LA Triathlon
Legacy Tri Long Beach
Lifetime series (NY and Chicago) although NY didn't seem too competitive outside of the pro field.
St. Anthonys

I'd add the state champ races tend to be pretty competitive usually.

Would be nice if they brought back some sort of competitive series.

Not sure why the Minneapolis lifetime tri got cancelled.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Last edited by: adaykin: Aug 11, 21 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll always root for Atlantic City, so I will throw that one out there.

The Atlantic City Triathlon.

A little lower participation this year than in years past, but typically in the range of 1500....
Not sure what you want to consider "bigger"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West Point has had some pretty fast winners. T.O. being one of them. Race is this weekend.

Delta Lake has also had some fast winners including an age group national champ a few years ago and a Olympian medalist - Katie Zaferes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abundant_pasta_ wrote:
Hey all,

I am trying to find/compile a list of more recognized Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in the US. As 70.3s have grown in notoriety, it seems like a lot of the more popular Olympic distance races have died out (Nation's Tri, HyVee, Philly, etc.). I want to stick with the shorter races for the time being, but there just don't seem to be the options. Here are the one's that come to mind:

Escape Alcatraz
St. Petersberg
New York City Triathlon

Which other races would be worth traveling for? Looking for races that would have a strong amateur field. If there's enough interest, I can make a list of them (similar to this link of 70.3s) for everyone to use. Thanks!

The list is called dead, very dead and super duper dead… No one wants to race short anymore and so those races are just gone. Which baffles me given how many people were in these races previously. Maybe its a cost thing for the big races, I’m not sure. But yeah most of the big Olympic races are gone.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
abundant_pasta_ wrote:
Hey all,

Escape Alcatraz
St. Petersberg
New York City Triathlon

The list is called dead, very dead and super duper dead… No one wants to race short anymore and so those races are just gone. Which baffles me given how many people were in these races previously. Maybe its a cost thing for the big races, I’m not sure. But yeah most of the big Olympic races are gone.

It's a tough sell, when you mention doing a triathlon to most people they associate it with ironman so a lot of one and done folks are less likely to do them year after year. At the same time the folks that like to race all out might find it difficult to do at these big events if they're stuck behind loads of people.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:
abundant_pasta_ wrote:
Hey all,

Escape Alcatraz
St. Petersberg
New York City Triathlon

It's a tough sell, when you mention doing a triathlon to most people they associate it with ironman so a lot of one and done folks are less likely to do them year after year. At the same time the folks that like to race all out might find it difficult to do at these big events if they're stuck behind loads of people.

I don’t think it’s that, everyone of these bigger Olympic distance races had an amateur elite wave normally it was only expecting to go sub 2:20. So you could race all out if you wanted to. It’s just unfortunate they are gone now there used to be a lot of great short races.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
Lavaman is really great and worth traveling for.

I just signed up for the Malibu Tri, which looks good. GTN just had a video on "bucket-list" races you do not have to qualify for and that made the list.

Malibu tri is gorgeous lots of fun, and star studded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Anthony's.

Not sure your definition of big but there are some east coast races that do decently well like Boston, Lobsterman, Cranberry, etc.

I think the races that get designated as state/regional championships through USAT tend to be popular races that are pretty well-run. Plus you'll usually find decent competition & plenty of people trying to qualify for AG Nationals at those events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
went to look, Boulder Peak is a lot smaller than it used to be, 400 instead of the 1500 it used to be capped at, still good competition though.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spudman Triathlon in Burley, ID. This year they had 1,800 for the Olympic and 300 for the Sprint. The event is massive for a local Tri and is drawing participants from almost all 50 states. They do an awesome job. Downriver swim in the Snake river and flat bike and run courses. The field is incredibly competitive. It gets elite pros every once in a while. This year the elite pro was Sky Moench, who won the women's field.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NJ State Triathlon near Princeton NJ
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spudman is on my list for next year. Live in SLC and didn’t realize it was that big. In Utah we still have a tri series which is nice and most races are capped around 500 because of venue size.

As for the decline of Olympic distance I link it back to the implosion of Columbia triathlon. That was a CF. It was big, brought in Pros, was early season, and made some triathlon headlines. Then the owner of the race bankrupted it and moved to his 2nd home in Florida. The race never came back and we were out a big early season Olympic race that people could follow.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [Granth9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granth9 wrote:
Spudman is on my list for next year. Live in SLC and didn’t realize it was that big. In Utah we still have a tri series which is nice and most races are capped around 500 because of venue size.

As for the decline of Olympic distance I link it back to the implosion of Columbia triathlon. That was a CF. It was big, brought in Pros, was early season, and made some triathlon headlines. Then the owner of the race bankrupted it and moved to his 2nd home in Florida. The race never came back and we were out a big early season Olympic race that people could follow.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

My favorite Olympic races in Utah are Daybreak Triathlon and Echo Triathlon. I have done Daybreak 9 times and Echo 3 times. About 300-500 participants every year on these races. Echo is a fast course and usually has super strong fields. Daybreak has a punishingly hard bike for the Olympic but the event is always well organized and great fun.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abundant_pasta_ wrote:
Hey all,

Escape Alcatraz
St. Petersberg
New York City Triathlon

You can add these to the list.

https://alpha.win/
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local events are gone too! Just got back into Triathlon after 10 years off - I was talking a race director/timing services provider - he said they used to do 13 triathlons, they are down to 3.
More and more I run into people who only compete in Ironman branded events, and skip local Triathlons entirely.

I used to love all the Olympic Distance events in Southern California - USTS and Big Bear Triathlon Series were my favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [jorgegr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done it, but the Boston Triathlon seems to be a popular race.

I have done the Lobsterman Triathlon in Maine by the same outfit, and that’s a fun event.

Pat Griskus Tri in CT is longstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bigger' Olympic and Sprint Distance Races in US [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also meant to add the Pumpkinman in Southern ME. Formerly a 70.3, I think it is now an Oly.

When I did it as a half, it was probably the best run independent race I ever did.
Quote Reply