Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Bear Trap' Headset adjuster
Quote | Reply
With the talk about carbon steer-tubes going 'round, I thought I'd throw this one into the mix.

Recently bought a frame/fork package that came with an Easton EC90SLX fork, and a 'Bear Trap' headset adjusting mechanism (no compression plug in the steertube). Don't have too many miles on it yet, but I am curious to hear others' experiences with this device, and if you recommend replacing it with a more traditional setup.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bear Trap' Headset adjuster [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO that thing is crap. Apaprently Easton agrees with me since they sent me a traditional expander at no charge (this was a few years ago). The 'good news' is that the steerer on those forks was designed to be strong enough to operate without the traditional plug. My problem was keeping the damn thing preloaded on the HS correctly.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of those with my Easton fork. My suggestion: throw it away ASAP. Or keep it and in twenty years add it to the Retro Thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: 'Bear Trap' Headset adjuster [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Easton instructions explicitly say to not use a star-fangled nut as a headset adjuster. Any recommendations on what system to employ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that the bear trap thing did not work well for me. I used a traditional compression plug:

such as this one from FSA. They should be avilable from your local bike shop or online for less than $20.00 and are safe to use with carbon steerer tubes.

In the meantime, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, this is what we are talking about, right:

Quote Reply
Re: 'Bear Trap' Headset adjuster [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's the one. I haven't had any issues with it as of yet... going to take it out for a longer ride this weekend (with hex wrench in the pocket!) to see what's up. I'll probably replace it before racing this bike, in any case.
Quote Reply