Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Average' inseam for my height
Quote | Reply
It's another bikefit question I'm afraid. Trying to figure out what kind ot tri bike might fit me - in the uk - no FIST fitters here, and no tri bikes in my local bike shops to sit on even so a bit of a challenge. So I'm 6'2 and what would average leg length be - on this site there is often talk of bikes suiting average morphology or longer legged specimens and I am wondering what would make me 'long in the leg'. History is I had a Planet X stealth size XL and couldn't make it fit - I was too stretched out as the top tube was too long. Going down to a size L would have made the saddle to bar drop impossible for me to make. (Stealth has a shallow ish seat angle I seem to remember) Thanks for your thoughts people.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Average' inseam for my height [Scoobs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help you with average, but I'm also about 6'2" so I'd be interested in the replies too. My inseam is about 35".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6-3 and have an inseam of 37 on the left side and 36 on the right. My right leg is 1" shorter then the left.

I use a bike that is tall and narrow. I need a long head tube and short top tube to fit my body type. The drop from seat to elbow pads is 18cm and then I'm still not even close to flat.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: 'Average' inseam for my height [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My right leg is 1" shorter then the left.

Just curious but have you had xrays to determine this? Most in the chiro biz would say your hips are out of alignment.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Average' inseam for my height [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned of this problem after visiting a world respected ortho surgreon. I visited him after I had numerous problems after getting hit by a car and breaking my right leg. The leg is shorter as the result of a spiral fracture of the tibia and a narrow knee (it has no cartiledge). My right hip and back has since compensated for this problem. I no longer have many problems as a result. This all occurred in 1980 after getting hit by a car while I was standing in the street directing traffic as a cop.

If you looked at an xray......yep......my hips are terribily out of alignment...........as a result of my short leg!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'4'' and my inseam is 90cm = ~35.43 inches

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and have a 35.6" inseam (905mm to be exact). That puts me in the long-legged, short-torso category.

here are my specs
size 58 argon18 gallium road bike (toptube is 58cm, headtube is 21cm + 1.5 cm topcap and spacers), roughly 10cm of saddle to bar drop. 130mm, -5 degree stem.

size 58 P2C (56cm effective top tube w/seatpost in the front position, 16cm headtube and 3.5 cm of spacers), 79.5 degrees...closer to 80 if I'm on the nose. Roughly 12cm of drop with a neutral 120mm stem.

Both bikes were professionally fitted and I'm very comfortable on them. Never been to a wind tunnel...but on the tri bike, my flat is nearly flat and I'm 'reasonably' aero...whatever that means. :-)

Hope that helps.

my twitter feed
Last edited by: jpflores: Feb 10, 09 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1", and my inseam is 34". That is with the tape measure shoved up my crotch, not my jeans inseam. I thought I was short legged. My saddle height is 77cm.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Average' inseam for my height [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replys folks, seems my inseam is 36 inches (crotch to floor not trouser ok pants inseam - whats that quote about two nations divided by a common language???) so apparently I've got long legs too - which would be good 'cos it supports my theory that the stealth didn't fit. So tall narrow bike it is then or cervelo with the seat forward. Hmm shame the pound is worthless and I don't even have a job but thanks for the help guys.
Quote Reply