Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'89 time trial final stage: why no more?
Quote | Reply
That may have been the single greatest memory I have ever had watching TDF's. Why has there never been another final day tt?
Quote Reply
Re: '89 time trial final stage: why no more? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because the final sprint stage on the Champs Elysses is iconic. The 100th Giro finished with aTT in Milan, a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For French people not to relive the agony of Fignon in these dying minutes...
I remember it vividly, watching it on tv as a kid and the whole country sighing in unison.

I think French tv and tour viewers enjoys the 'handshake' between the 'maillot jaune' and the guy who will be awarded the same title 2 years later for obscure reasons.
The messages to family members and friends written on small boards are also part of the tradition.
I believe there are also practical jokes played at the expense or with the help of team directors on that day as well.

The stage is pretty much neutralized and has been almost useless lately, but I remember crazy sprints on the Champs Elysées back in the days (and falls too).
A TT would however be great with less than a minute for sure.

Those handlebars will haunt me forever...

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Last edited by: Bancarel: Jul 21, 12 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: '89 time trial final stage: why no more? [Bancarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bancarel wrote:

This.
Quote Reply
Re: '89 time trial final stage: why no more? [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdmike wrote:
Bancarel wrote:

This.

Yea I kinda thought that myself, but that would just be pure pussy. That can't be right?

I guess if we ever see a French GC contender who can tt and the TDF has 6 ITT's of 250 miles then we know;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite honestly, they got lucky in '89. The race came down to the final TT, but it took a heroic ride by Lemond's to make it all happen.

The final TT in the Tour is usually not decisive, so to end the race with a TT on the Champs is likely to be undramatic.

The traditional final stage has pomp and circumstance and gives the public plenty of opportunities to see the bunch and get treated to a bunch sprint.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: '89 time trial final stage: why no more? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year woulda been a fun last ITT. Meh, tit for tat. Just can't ever watch a TDF stage and not think about LeMond bludgeoning Fignon!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 21, 12 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the circuit race along the champs elysees with a bunch sprint is much more exciting. Sprints every lap, breakaways galore, guys riding in the smoother pavement in the gutter. Massive team pursuit efforts to bring back the break and setup the sprint. Yeah...much more exciting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, last year would have worked, as would have '07. BUt again, it USUALLY doesn't impact the final win...and there is no way to predict ahead of time if it will.

The traditional finish DOES have a guaranteed spectacle built into it ( even if it doesn't affect the race overall).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it was also a special commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the French Revolution

Jason
Dig It Triathlon and Multisport
http://www.digittri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be boring for the masses.
Quote Reply