Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter)
Quote | Reply
Looks like my daughter wants to race more and I was looking at possible bike upgrades. She's has a KHS road bike (105/10 spd) & keeping that for day-day use.

Going to a tri bike is frankly "too much bike" for her, but that's how you learn. I find e-shift and aero riding a lot of fun, as much as it is to go fast in events.

She's 5'5" early 20's

Found a local '16 Speed concept Di2 size S carbon wheels $4.5K CAD.
Owner has a lot of stack which is good. But not familiar with how the SC front end adjusts.

Also quite a ways away, Cervelo P2 also Di2 48 cm for $3K + shipping.
That's got a conventional fork so can work with that.

Another option is upgrade the road bike at say $3-4K with e-shift

Thoughts?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: '16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had both. Both are great bikes. Speed concept has lots of great adjustments but can be a little bit annoying to adjust the front end. It’s not hard per se, it just takes longer since you have to undo some screws to get access to other screws?

What wheels are on the speed concept? What wheels and what aerobar is on the P2?

I’d probably lean towards to the P2 and save 1500 (minus shipping). But some of they depends on the little details of each

Guessing you checked to see both can be made to get the same fit for her?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: '16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info & tips. I am totally new to Trek

SC is all Bontrager
has Aura5 race wheels (~$1000 value)
Hilo saddle which is nice (I have one myself)
Bontrager al training rims

P2. looks like stock bar setup, up turned base bar which is better for a novice
Adamo saddle (which I also ride)
Ultegra al wheels, nothing special

For fit: bars & pads sky high and saddle low. The rider is quite timid.

Quote Reply
Re: '16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not going to get her properly fit, than why are you doing this? Also, you say she's timid on a bike and this is "too much bike" for her, please make sure she actually wants and will ride this before you do it. You're more likely to force her out of the sport if she just doesn't enjoy riding her bike, and despite what people think, forcing someone to do something they're scared to do over and over again is a bad way to get them to like it. It is supposed to be fun after all. Also, part of the whole fit thing, the saddle that works for you is not necessarily likely to be the right saddle for her. Get a good fit for her, figure out the right saddle, then look at bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both of these bikes, a 2015 Speed Concept and a P2, both Di2. The SC is mine and the P2 is my wife’s.

The easy button here is the P2. It has conventional brakes and cockpit, so easy to adjust with non proprietary parts. You can make it into a super bike if you want with a Tri Rig cockpit and aero brakes.

I love my SC, but you have to buy separate pieces to adjust the height of cockpit, and the brakes aren’t easy to work on. If you’re pretty bike savvy, the SC won’t be an issue for you, but the P2 is just plain easier to maintain and adjust.

From a ride standpoint, the SC isn’t as nimble but it holds a straight line better than the P2. The P2 is way more comfortable on the base bars. I do like the storage box on the SC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things I like about the Speed Concept...
- I really like how the Speed Concept brakes are adjusted. They are like the TriRig brakes where you can adjust each arm/side of the break individually. This makes it easy to optimize braking as it’s easy to get the pad adjustment just right.
- The monobar and arm rest units make it really easy to make forward and backward (and elbow in and out adjustments) and you can make small incremental adjustments
- It has better integration built in. The draft box has no effect on drag and fits a lot (could easily do 2 tubes, 2 co2, 2 tire levers, a patch kit a multi-tool). It’s also takes 5 seconds to remove if you want to save weight. There is an adapter piece that allows you to run a BTA water bottle easily and securely. The top tube bento box is nice and looks slick – though it doesn’t fit a ton.
- The frameset on it is probably faster as pictured than the P2 (due to integrated cables/clean front end and the aerobar setup)

Things that are a bit annoying about the Speed Concept…
- As mentioned earlier, while you can make a lot of adjustments, it takes a lot of unscrewing each time you want to make an adjustment. For example, I would have to remove the BTA bottle cage and bta bottle mount (4 screws that need to be completely taken out) in order to get to the aerobar screws to make adjustments. Not the end of the world, but kind of annoying.
- Changing the fit will be a little bit more expensive than the P2. You will be able to make reach (forward and backwards) adjustments as pictured. However to change the stack (up and down) and to change the reach beyond what the monobar will allow you would need to but either a new Bontrager Speed Concept Riser and/or a Bontrager Speed Concept stem. Dan has a nice article from a number of years ago about how to nail your fit on a speed concept. For the P2, adjustments tend to be cheaper since you are just buying a regular stem which you can get for super cheap.

I really like the Speed Concept, but I think for what you are looking at I would lean towards the P2. The Speed Concept is likely the faster bike and it looks like it’s got newer version of the Di2 (internal vs external battery) and has faster wheels. But since your daughter is going to be new to using a tri bike having something which will allow for cheaper fit adjustments would be beneficial I think. Also, the bullhorns on the P2 are curved upwards vs the flat ones on the SC. As a poster above mentioned this will make it more comfortable and make the rider feel more comfortable when they are out of aero. This might be good since she will be new to a tri bike and might find herself a little bit more often than a veteran of the sport. Plus saving 1500 is nice and would leave some money on the table to upgrade the wheels at some point (I think you could get faster wheels than what is on the SC used for 600-800 range).
All that being said, either one would be great. So another option would be to pick the one that she likes the look of more. When two choices are close that is always my tie-breaker.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: '16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Cervelo P3 with Dura Ace DI2 last night. 2018 Size 48 frame. Rode it around a bit, nice stable ride. Sooo tiny of course. Wife was selling her husband's bike... must have been a cross-fitter ;)

Saddle is my go-to model as well. Give-away-price, negotiated lower yet by our business manager. Split the savings to cover off her inconvenience and a dinner out.

Di2 shifting works as the battery lasts forever, but I do need a charger. Has an external battery down by the crankset so will the gen 1 battery stand work?

Last edited by: SharkFM: Jul 13, 22 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 48cm P2 may be too small for a 5'5" rider. I would get her fit. Did that size have 650 wheels that year?
Quote Reply
Re: '16 Speed Concept vs Cervelo P2 Di2 (bike for daughter) [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's more like 5'4". Tried a 51cm but standover was too high and she said it was too big. My guess is saddle would be close to slammed on a 51

This one has 700C ISO 622. Zooming around the underground, thinking high saddles & big frames are overrated. Fun being so close to the concrete.

She set a pretty good bike split on the road/commuter bike & running shoes (forgot to swap out pedals)

PS: just as I was posting this a girl walked in the coffee shop with a 48cm P2. She just got fit by my PT (who knew?) and loves it. Also 5'4"

Last edited by: SharkFM: Jul 14, 22 8:31
Quote Reply