Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'09 Zipp wheel with 19mm tire?
Quote | Reply
So I just taped my Conti Competition 700x19mm tubular onto my '09 808 front and noticed that with the increased rim width the 19mm tire does not seed in as well. Has anyone else noticed a problem like this? It seems as though the 19mm tire is too narrow for the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp wheel with 19mm tire? [inaba116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp does not suggest use of 19mm tires - neither does any wind tunnel. Zipps own tires are 21mm (ish)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp wheel with 19mm tire? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Zipp does not suggest use of 19mm tires - neither does any wind tunnel.
Good to know, Thanks! Wasn't aware of either of those bits of info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Copied from Josh's comments on Zipps site.

Quote:

can tell you that we are recommending to our pro teams as well as pro-triathletes to run 21mm tires with both 808's and 404's, and NOT to run 18 or 19mm tires. We have seen no repeatable aero advantage in using 19 or even 18mm tires with these new rim shapes (though with the new 404, there was a slight tendency for increased drag with the 19mm tire, more here: http://www.zipp.com/...abid/60/Default.aspx), and feel that the increased ride harshness, reduced contact patch, increased rolling resistance and so on associated with narrower tires just can't really be justified on either of these rims.
Now, if you are running an H3, old Zipp 440, Campy Bora or Reynolds wheel, then we have definitely seen advantages in the wind tunnel to running 18 or 19mm tires over 21 or 22mm tires, and I would strongly recommend them for those applications from a pure speed perspective, but with the newer Zipp rim profiles, I can honestly say use a 21mm at a slightly lower pressure, and save yourself the added harshness of the high tire pressure as well as gaining back some improved handling and still maximizing aero benefits. These latest generation wheels have been fully designed around 21-22mm tires, so you can be confident that you are not sacrificing any performance with them.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
taping tubulars may in some cases default the warranty on zipp rims. gluing is recommended.

and, what josh said ...
Quote Reply