Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'09 Zipp 808 and 19mm Bonty Aero TT Clincher - how well does it fit?
Quote | Reply
I need a new tire for IMCdA, and I am thinking this is the best tire to get for the front. My question is how well does the 19mm width match up with a '09 Zipp 808? From what I've read the rim became wider in '09, and I want to be sure this is the best width to match up with the 'wings'. If anyone has any pictures to share that would be great. I tried a search and couldn't find anything specifically about the '09-'10 rims.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp 808 and 19mm Bonty Aero TT Clincher - how well does it fit? [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any feedback regarding the fit?

Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp 808 and 19mm Bonty Aero TT Clincher - how well does it fit? [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I need a new tire for IMCdA, and I am thinking this is the best tire to get for the front. My question is how well does the 19mm width match up with a '09 Zipp 808? From what I've read the rim became wider in '09, and I want to be sure this is the best width to match up with the 'wings'. If anyone has any pictures to share that would be great. I tried a search and couldn't find anything specifically about the '09-'10 rims.

Only the tubular got wider. The 19mm matches up very tight on the front of the 808 clincher. Jonnyo used to run that setup. It's slick. You *are* running a 19mm tire up front, which I personally would not want to do for an Ironman. That's just a very narrow tire.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp 808 and 19mm Bonty Aero TT Clincher - how well does it fit? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After looking at the new Crr data over the weekend, the new Bonty R4 Aero (?) is 22 mm wide, which will probably be my preference if I can get ahold of one before June, but the 19mm Aero TT is/was my back-up plan.

Do you think the 21mm Zipp Tangente is a better option for the front? I assume you say you would not want one due to the ride quality, right? For what it's worth, I am planning on the Specialized S-Work Open Mondo 23mm for the rear.

Quote Reply
Re: '09 Zipp 808 and 19mm Bonty Aero TT Clincher - how well does it fit? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was running a 23mm...not a 19... and would not change a thing... 23 all the way, i simply dont care about any lose in aerodynamic for the gain i have in comfort and i simply feel lot better on the wider tire..

i also ran the 21 and it was good but not as nice as the 23....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After looking at the new Crr data over the weekend, the new Bonty R4 Aero (?) is 22 mm wide, which will probably be my preference if I can get ahold of one before June, but the 19mm Aero TT is/was my back-up plan.

Do you think the 21mm Zipp Tangente is a better option for the front? I assume you say you would not want one due to the ride quality, right? For what it's worth, I am planning on the Specialized S-Work Open Mondo 23mm for the rear.

Yes, for ride quality. I've run a 21 in the front (and ran on in Abu Dhabi) without issue. You just need more psi (I run 125-130 in the front if I run a 21). With all the weight on the front in a TT position, a 19mm tire for Ironman is just a bad idea, IMO.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting point. Since I weight more than you (currently 170 lbs, hopefully 165 at race time) I would need similar it no more pressure, so it sounds like at least a 21, but would a 23 be better? What do you think about the Zipp as a front (21 or 23), or the Specialized Open Mondo (23)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Interesting point. Since I weight more than you (currently 170 lbs, hopefully 165 at race time) I would need similar it no more pressure, so it sounds like at least a 21, but would a 23 be better? What do you think about the Zipp as a front (21 or 23), or the Specialized Open Mondo (23)?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've used the Zipp tires with good success. I've not used the Mondo, but I think it's also a very good tire. The Zipp *should* have better aerodynamics, but I'm not sure by how much. I doubt you could go wrong with either one.

Quote Reply