Prev Next
'09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego
Quote | Reply
(*ok, north county, but close enough!)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this the first time they have skipped Hwy 1 through Big Sur?

The Visalia to Paso Robles stage will be great.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [IronFisch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is this the first time they have skipped Hwy 1 through Big Sur?

Yep. I guess they didn't appreciate the "epic" day they had on that stage last year...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man they're skipping the SB to SC stage too.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [indytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also skipping San Luis Obispo for the first time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopefully they will do something interesting like going up the entire length of Highland Valley Road to Ramona on the stage from RB to Escondido.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can believe they're skipping the Monterey to SLO route along Hwy 1. Ya, it has rained a few times, but that can be anywhere. Maybe logistics of closing the highway?

Merced to Clovis will be nice if they take them up onto Hwy 49 and a few of the local climbs. Visalia to Paso??? The first 60-80 miles should be nice and flat so all the valley cows can get a good view of the tour.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Escondido, that's my hometown! I'm so going to be there!!
Last edited by: AZGaucho: Jul 23, 08 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Stage 3 finishes in Santa Cruz. That will be cool. I've not been at a finish city yet, so this will be a great opportunity.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Modesto?!?!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are really going to end a stage in Visalia? That is getting a little to close to Tulare or Bakeo. I dont think we really need to show european race teams the valley its not as pretty as the coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very very very very Cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a shame. no sf prologue. Sacramento... sad.

All you need is a dollar and a dream..and a severe f*&%ing beating!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have a heart attack if I couldn't make it to the time trial. I'm glad they've included it in Solvang again. It looks like it's on Friday again, which means I'll have to play hooky... again. :)

I want to know how the heck they're going to get from Visalia to Paso Robles because about the only way through is on 41 and 46. If they had to shut that down for the race, they'd have motorists with shotguns in hand because that's pretty much the only way to get from the valley to the central coast -- it's an insanely busy highway.

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really cool... we need to start a thread when it gets closer on the "signings" and appearances of these guys.

Every year I have seen this race in person, the racers and managers have always been very friendly and open to answering questions (and taking pictures) :-P Hope things stay like that and down to earth.

-Trisha
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [guywithabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a post race meal in Clovis the motorists will probably want to steer well clear of the garlic fog.

Seriously though that is very cool. There are some great roads between RB and Escondido...

This is almost a good enough reason to move back....

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard that the stage from Rancho Bernardo will go up Palomar Mountain, our local mini Alpe-D'Huez. This is a 12.68mi 4,325' climb with average 6.5% grade, also with around 21 switchbacks and similar elevation. Plenty of time for us locals to get ready to run next to the bikes likes idiots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Hopefully the new RB to Escondido route will take em up Palomar for Catagory 3 climb? or maybe out to Laguna in Feb, chance of snow and desert views.. now that would be a good stage

just finish
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [flim-mike-bunz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's sad about starting the TOC in the capital of California?

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Last edited by: TriCeratops: Jul 24, 08 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious what route they will take through SF. Maybe through SeaCliff then down great highway? Let's hope for a sunny day when cross the GGB...that would make quite a scenic shot. And they will have a nice little wake up climb from Sausalito to the Bridge right off the bat. After going to starts and finishes for last three years in Santa Rosa, I would ecourage folks to get out there and see the race. I particularly enjoyed going to start early and checking out bikes, talking to mechanics and racers and enjoying the whole atmosphere.
In Reply To:
....looks like SF is a pass-through only.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [TriCeratops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's sad about starting the TOC in the capital of California?
Exactly. And Sacramento will have tremendous fan support.

Rik
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [TriCeratops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not pretty. and its flat. I am sure there are cycling fans and people will make the trip out but there is nothing epic about sacramento. just saying. its not the bay area...

All you need is a dollar and a dream..and a severe f*&%ing beating!!
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Tour of Calif. coming to San Diego [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey hey. Modesto's not all bad. I'm excited to get to watch the Tour at all. Last year had to miss the start, the finish will be easier to catch. We were a start city last year and apparently went off very well according to Tour organizers. Well enough to win a finish city this year. It's just a reversal of the same stage last year (San Jose to Modesto over Mt. Hamilton).
Quote Reply

Prev Next